Old 06-11-2014, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 116 Times in 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discguy42 View Post
Here are some comparisons of the current runs of the Avair P&a and the Grid Stamp Avair:

I have only been playing for a short while and I am not versed in all things Avair history.

The Avair P&A has a lower shoulder with a flatter top than the Grid Avair.

The Grid Avair has a slight upward flight plate. Just a little rise not domey.

The PLH on the P&A is just slightly higher than the Grid Avair.

The wing or edge of the disc (where it fits the hand) has an angled edge like a Mako, Skeeter, or Dart.

While the Grid Avair has a slight bevel/curve on its edge.

Plastic wise the Avair P&A feels like DX plastic that is moderately firm but, not overly stiff.

The Grid Avair is a very firm feeling plastic, the flight plate is more solid. This disc doesn't give too easily when it is flexed from the edge to edge like a taco.

I will try to snap some profile pics and post them tomorrow. Hope this helps.
Clearly. It's spelled Aviar.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 26 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevdiv48 View Post
Clearly. It's spelled Aviar.
Well, I said that I was not versed in it . Hell, apparently I cant spell either!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 139
Niced 1,075 Times in 432 Posts

Most common misspelling in disc golf. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM

Courses Played: 13
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I actually stumbled upon my current putter, the classic aviar, while buying some practice putters for my dad. I noticed they were only $7 or so at Wal-Mart so I grabbed 4 and I haven't looked back. The stiffer plastic offers a clean release, and as many have already mentioned, it flies incredibly straight. A few of my roommates started out with the PnA, but then later switched when they tried my classic aviar. Personally, I feel it all comes down to personal preference. If you enjoy a bit softer plastic go with the PnA, but if you like a firmer disc I'd highly recommend the classic.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:54 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,207 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bogey DO View Post
I actually stumbled upon my current putter, the classic aviar, while buying some practice putters for my dad. I noticed they were only $7 or so at Wal-Mart so I grabbed 4 and I haven't looked back. The stiffer plastic offers a clean release, and as many have already mentioned, it flies incredibly straight. A few of my roommates started out with the PnA, but then later switched when they tried my classic aviar. Personally, I feel it all comes down to personal preference. If you enjoy a bit softer plastic go with the PnA, but if you like a firmer disc I'd highly recommend the classic.
Philo uses Classic Aviars, usually yellow ones, for his putting. I've got a couple, they are good putting putters. I use them if and when I take an "all-DX" bag to the course.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 276 Times in 190 Posts

Wow, good thread to necro!

I found the classics about a year ago and can't be happier. It's more straight than a p&a for sure, fades forward instead of left (not that p&a has a ton of fade.) the stiffer plastic is still grippy but comes out clean. For throwing they are great for tunnel shots, and hold moderate hyzer and anhyzer lines really well.

Overall ots my favorite putter by far.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 109
Niced 31 Times in 18 Posts

I like the classics flight and feel the best. They are so smooth coming out of my hand. I use them all summer when temps are higher. I can't get a good grip on them when it gets cold though so I switch to the DX PnA. Then when it gets REALLY cold the XT comes out.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 276 Times in 190 Posts

Try a soft p1 maniac for really cold. They fly very similar to a classic when it's real cold. They are still too soft to putt with for me though
Old 11-13-2017, 09:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

Anyone compared the Classic Aviar to the RPro Aviar P&A? If so, can you compare the grip of each and if you can tell any difference at all in the flight path when putting from 60 feet and in? (I'll only be using it for putting)

I have been struggling a bit with my putting using the Deputy (Classic Blend), Pure (Zero Line Med), and 174g Ringer (D-Line)....and a little better than with those with my P2 (D-Line). Today I spent a lot of time on my putting and had good results with the Aviar Classic (DX) 175g and my son's 165g Ringer (D-Line). I would like to find something that has the grippiness of the D-Line (from Discraft) or the Classic Blend (from DD), but with the shape of the Aviar Classic. I thought it was the super thinness of the Ringer I liked but I think with that disc (the 165g version) it's the combination of the thinness with the lighter weight. The Aviar Classic seems to work well at 175g...just wish it was a bit more tacky feeling.

I'm thinking the Aviar P&A in RPro might be the disc that offers a good combination of both.

Thanks for any help!

TripleB

Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 37
Niced 260 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Today I spent a lot of time on my putting and had good results with the Aviar Classic (DX) 175g...

...The Aviar Classic seems to work well at 175g...just wish it was a bit more tacky feeling.
If you like the Classic Aviar and just wish it had better grip, all you have to do is keep putting/throwing it. I have some Classic Aviars that have seen thousands of putts and they have great grip especially compared to fresh ones. It doesn't even take thousands of putts; I refreshed my stack of putters about two months ago and they are already feeling like fresh Classic Blend.

If you have some sort of winter putting league near you, join that. Or even if you don't, spend the winter using a stack of Classic Aviars to work on your putting, even if it is in your garage or living room. Come springtime, one or both of the following will be true: you will have become a better putter, and/or you will have a stack of nicely worked-in Classic Aviars ready for the new season.

Niced: (2)