Old 10-22-2018, 05:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 91
Niced 367 Times in 181 Posts

Maybe if Nate hadn't thrown a driver on a 260' hole, it wouldnt have skipped OB. ―\_(ツ)_/―
Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 118 Times in 54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by parboiled View Post
Dickerson's rollaway OB on hole 18 at Ledgestone this summer, which allowed Sexton to walk the win in, or this railroad tie kerfluffle, which cost Nate 2 strokes? Either way, it's good that they each ended up the beneficiary once.
I always felt that the crazy anti-skip Chris had off the tee on 16 was the one that did him in, he played a great tournament and just had 2 butt-fugly breaks on 16 and 18.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:30 PM

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm just really happy that Chris Dickerson got a big win on the national stage after winning so many slightly smaller tournaments this year. He's so fun to watch. I do love Nate Sexton like the rest of the disc golf world, but I am really happy for Chris.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 387 Times in 178 Posts

Chris played great all weekend. He's been a force, look at all the top 10s at big events. Congrats to him finally sealing one.

I love watching Nate play. The format really showed that he doesn't just lay up and "play safe". You can't consider the OB the thing that lost him the tournament, you don't know if that changed his performance on the next few holes or if it changed the way other players played them either. It happened, he handled it as a true professional, and he fought for a chance to tie and take it to a playoff.

Nikko. Damn what an impressive year. Probably the most impressive since his USDGC. When he missed the long putt on 17 and knew what it meant you had to feel for him.

Kevin Jones was all over the place this round. Hard day for him. He's had flashes of brilliance. We'll see him again on the big stage.

Ricky. He almost had them ol raptor legs working and then somehow putted worse than I've ever seen him putt. He's human after all. Most importantly we made it through a whole tournament without someone on the internet complaining about a foot fault.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 455 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Going out of bounds cost Sexton one stroke, not a railroad tie (kerfuffle or not). He knew the gap was there. It has been demonstrated that the tie was missing all tournament. Arguments that the tie would have kept him inbounds or the call was incorrect are interwebz fodder, nothing more. This out of bounds, was no more or less fair, than any of the abundant OB all over the course.
Technically, since there was a gap in the "island" the entire tournament, with no defined line connecting the ties in the gap, there was no island the entire tournament. So I agree..if I'm going to push for Nate's disc to be in bounds, alot of other player's scores would need to be adjusted as well. TD accountability is just as important (if not more) as player accountability.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 273 Times in 173 Posts

^^LOL. I dunno, did you check all of the internet? Its always there, whatever it is.

Last edited by Flick Maniac; 10-23-2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: someone posted right in between :)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 76 Times in 41 Posts

the tie wasn't there for any rounds this tournament, but was there last year:
https://i.imgur.com/n9O0b30.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vJoLpnL.jpg

a little clarification from the TD or grounds crew re: removal would go a LONG way
Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 233
Niced 831 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Technically, since there was a gap in the "island" the entire tournament, with no defined line connecting the ties in the gap, there was no island the entire tournament. So I agree..if I'm going to push for Nate's disc to be in bounds, alot of other player's scores would need to be adjusted as well. TD accountability is just as important (if not more) as player accountability.
I think you are looking for a technicality. If stakes line a fairway and is defined as OB, the space between stakes, with or without a line, is OB. Watching the action, Sexton is immediately aware he is OB. I am thinking he would have been the first one to speak up, if there was a shred of rule support, to claim in bounds.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-23-2018, 03:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,018 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
No offense, but this argument is foolish. The design of the hole was clear. The execution was not but that should not negate the entire design of the hole. The ruling that Steve made, that the gap should be treated as if there is a tie there for the purposes of determining an OB line, was perfectly acceptable and is the same call for the situation that I think 99 out of 100 TDs make.

The tie was missing for the entire tournament. How no one, until that moment, realized that fact indicates to me that it was more than just a bit of TD/staff oversight. None of the players noticed the missing tie through the whole week? Not a one of them couldn't have noticed and brought it up at a players meeting or in a conversation with the TD? It's not like it was a break in a paint line well off the fairway where no throw would be expected to land and it's plausible no one would find it. It was a 6-8 foot gap in an island green boundary pin high and 35 feet from the basket.

Bad break for Nate that his throw landed where it landed, but those things happen. There were 17 holes worth of other opportunities to change his score, so it's not as though that one throw alone, and the subsequent ruling, was the ultimate difference in winning/losing. It's just a convenient thing to blame.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 6
Niced 205 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
No offense, but this argument is foolish. The design of the hole was clear. The execution was not but that should not negate the entire design of the hole.
I would argue the execution wasn't at all unclear unless someone is trying to be willfully obtuse in examining or interpretation... which seems to also be the norm in reading rules. This could have been taken care of but certainly doesn't change the 100% obvious intent of the hole design. 100% obvious and questioning that is as I said willfully obtuse or just plain stupid.

Niced: (1)