Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 357 Times in 138 Posts
Default I am going off on my own, a totally new approach

Mike Austin changed my way of thinking about the golf swing. One of the main aspects of his approach is that the lead arm (the one that holds the club) is basically very passive, and is simply an extension of the arc that is constant around the neck.

The engine of the golf swing is the trailing side, that essentially walks past the lead side. He demonstrated this by using a rope as his lead arm.

The more I watch videos of the very best throwers, we are trying to achieve positions with the lead side that are simply REACTIONS to the TRAILING SIDE. The trailing side is out of position in bad form and no matter how badly you would like to achieve those positions you can't, because the trailing side "walking past" the lead side is not happening.

I have been practicing simply holding my throwing arm out on an arc and moving the entire throw from beginning to end simply positioning my trailing shoulder and throwing the entire throw with my trailing shoulder position. The throwing arm is simply a soft arc.

I take my left arm and put my left hand on my right biceps, as the same way here in the Austin rope demonstration.

Kevin Jones in particular appears to simply throw the disc with his left shoulder position, his right arm is doing almost nothing. Observe.

He is rotating his trailing side around the lead side and his throwing arm is simply passive extension of his core.

Try it. You can swing your left side around your fixed right side faster than you can get your right side out of the way. And with a great deal more power and ease. Try it!!!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Bradley Walker; 10-18-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,633 Times in 1,093 Posts

Do you feel a momentary recoil/pushback of the left shoulder or arm?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Do you feel a momentary recoil/pushback of the left shoulder or arm?
Not really. Do you?

Just try it without a disc. Put your throwing arm out kind of straight and place your left hand on your right biceps/shoulder. Then forget about it. Then do your walk up up simply moving your left shoulder back behind you then walk it though.

Ignore your throwing arm. Do not move it.

Your elbow will bend from momentum and lag if you keep it somewhat soft.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:49 PM
Birdie Member

Look at the Kevin Jones gif... Is he doing anything with his throwing arm different than what I am saying? Really look at it.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:05 PM
* Ace Member *

I think I can go through that motion both with and without feeling the rear arm/shoulder pause or recoil, so that's why I'm asking what you're feeling.

Lately I have definitely been feeling how to set up the swing with my rear shoulder, so this is pretty timely.

I would say Drew Gibson has a pretty typical rear arm motion where he brings it in/forward with the rear shoulder to set up, then you can clearly see the rear arm/shoulder counter/impact back during the swing, which is the feel I'm asking about.

Whereas Ken Jarvis has a momentary pause I would say of the left shoulder during the swing/hit but it doesn't seem to recoil back as aggressively as Gibson. So I guess his shoulder pauses in space but moves back relative to his body slightly.

https://youtu.be/ncFsq7vqE3w?t=83 go to 1:23 for the shot.

Then Gurthie is on the other extreme end but that's really going a different direction in feel from what you're talking about, I think.

Last edited by slowplastic; 10-18-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Birdie Member

I am saying maybe let's just clear the deck... Start from scratch. Clear the mind and look at it from a very simple perspective.

The throwing arm is the extension from the neck (it bends and extends and that is all), and the trailing side is the engine.

The throwing arm side is passive.

Stop moving the trailing arm and plant it, at least for the drill.

I don't see Kevin Jones recoiling at all.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:36 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

https://youtu.be/ncFsq7vqE3w?t=83 go to 1:23 for the shot.

Then Gurthie is on the other extreme end but that's really going a different direction in feel from what you're talking about, I think.
They kind of shoot down that whole "plant your lead foot closed" thing. I always knew that was BS...
Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
They kind of shoot down that whole "plant your lead foot closed" thing. I always knew that was BS...
Yeah it's interesting. More and more to me it seems that it can be neutral/natural/slightly open relative to your own body/throw, but if you have a nice rectangular teepad drawn out and take a still frame of the plant then yes it will look 90 or even closed relative to that front edge.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 140 Times in 93 Posts

I had posted this last night on the Latissimus thread in response to a video. Maybe it is more appropriate on this thread.

Quote:
What's really interesting to me is that at the 15-16 second mark it sure looks like McBeth is using his left shoulder (and fist) to drive the swing. You can see it again at 50 seconds.

https://youtu.be/RkPwHUVInes?t=14

Old 10-18-2018, 08:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 140 Times in 93 Posts

I was playing a fairly wooded course this morning and while learning and trying to use the left shoulder for power I was having better accuracy. I just got back from the field and the accuracy for me is real. It also feels effortless and I haven't lost any distance. I was getting slip outs so there is still room for more distance when I learn to control the power.