Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 AM
just practicing

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 48 Times in 16 Posts

this whole thing is addressed on dgr using soft vs. hard as an example. There's even a little science. It's a good read. Maybe I'll link it up later when I'm not on my phone. If I remember correctly it's almost 50/50 with hard actually having a slight advantage.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 12:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanic_Sinks View Post
this whole thing is addressed on dgr using soft vs. hard as an example. There's even a little science. It's a good read. Maybe I'll link it up later when I'm not on my phone. If I remember correctly it's almost 50/50 with hard actually having a slight advantage.
exactly the article i was talking about.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/f...hp?f=2&t=17218

just to establish some basic things to work from. obviously it doesn't talk about premium plastic per se, but it certainly does talk about basic concepts when the plastic interacts with the chains.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 AM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I use ions so it's all premo, and I used to putt with soft eclipse but I found that my medium neutrons were sticking better, even in the cold.

I did use swans for a minute last summer and made some putts that were pretty wack. I think base plastic putters grab the chains a little more, but mvp stuff isn't exactly slick premium plastic on the rim, due to the overmold.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 17.9
Courses Played: 191
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
not. not. not

Make the same putts on the exact opposite side of the chains... The soft one will grab the left most chains and roll out the side, while the hard one will push the chains inward and fall in. it's not an advantage overall, just a right side OR left side advantage. depending on your style and aim, maybe one or the other would work for YOU, but maybe not for ME. overall, equal.
if you are aiming to the outside edge of the chains you deserve to miss. anything that doesnt hit center is a bad putt. why even discuss a bad putt

additionally, you notice the trend in pros using grip stiff putters. that is because they grab and push the chains aside at same time. canceling out the left kick or bounce off...kind of nice balance so to say.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 11 Times in 7 Posts

I read that article a while back and it was a great read with very useful information.

All I'm trying to do is get people to record themself putting to see where, when, and at what speed and angle the disc is at when cut thourghs or chainouts occur. Most video editing software has a speed control function. So if you have a chainout you can show it at regular speed then again in slow motion for our analysis/observation/discussion...Just a thought.

Plus is there a more satisfying sound than that crisp explosive CHING of plastic slamming into metal chains?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Banned

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds like a job for these guys

Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Are you going to record yourself doing it or do you just want us to?

either way I know from personal experience....I used a super soft warlock and it was great..switched to an ion and anode and got a tom of chain outs....went to wizards and now prodigy in base plastic and I get far less chain outs...

Would that translate into a video of me throwing 50 shots with each? Im not sure....
Old 01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson

I think a better solution would be to stop having this conversation. if MVP comes out with a baseline putter there is a better chance i start using an ION for putting duties. until then the yeti is my putter and even then the ion may not beat out the yeti.

i was interested in getting MVP discs hot stamped for our tournament just to do something different and the reaction was - you know no one in open is going to want or throw of it, right?

its not a knock on MVP, this is something they will have to deal with, if they choose too, just like gateway and innova and all the companies will deal with their own issues (or issues we perceive them having). i can't say for sure but imagine those guys are making money otherwise they would be doing the same thing everyone else is, and they essentially are, making discs for us to buy.

i guess in the end it seemed silly to make a thread to try and prevent it from becoming the same discussion it will eventually become. maybe try the MVP fan page on facebook?
Old 01-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use soft plastic in the winter and harder plastic in summer, think its more about how it feels coming out of my hand then grabing chains. As far as sticking goes, somtimes rubber bounces out, somtimes it sticks, same with harder plastic, some slip in, some slip out. You get the feel for it then adjust.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdodson View Post
I think a better solution would be to stop having this conversation. if MVP comes out with a baseline putter there is a better chance i start using an ION for putting duties. until then the yeti is my putter and even then the ion may not beat out the yeti.

i was interested in getting MVP discs hot stamped for our tournament just to do something different and the reaction was - you know no one in open is going to want or throw of it, right?

its not a knock on MVP, this is something they will have to deal with, if they choose too, just like gateway and innova and all the companies will deal with their own issues (or issues we perceive them having). i can't say for sure but imagine those guys are making money otherwise they would be doing the same thing everyone else is, and they essentially are, making discs for us to buy.

i guess in the end it seemed silly to make a thread to try and prevent it from becoming the same discussion it will eventually become. maybe try the MVP fan page on facebook?
I really like my MVP discs....just not for putting and I think if you asked most people thats the answer you'd get.

An MVP disc in base plastic? Now that would be something id ben interested in seeing them try...just for the sheer fact of seeing how they would pull it off.