Old 12-31-2014, 05:51 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 967 Times in 636 Posts

Any putter can get pretty unpredictable under 165. I would just get one good and worn in to hit those lines. Keep it between 170-175.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
If you finesse your putts or putt with a soft touch, a lighter putter is your ticket. I personally putt like my putter is a circular sawblade and the basket is a giant dude who slapped my mama.
Word
Old 12-31-2014, 06:38 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 100 Times in 70 Posts

If you want a flex putt, wouldn't you want a heavier weight and overstability? Light/understable putters don't fight out of an anhyzer as quickly.

My longer putts flex. I use max weight Soft Wizards.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
If you want a flex putt, wouldn't you want a heavier weight and overstability? Light/understable putters don't fight out of an anhyzer as quickly.
correct.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that heavy putters would sit on the ground before they would flex if you threw them on an anny, versus a light putter that you threw that you wanted to fade out. So, in other words, light putters are best for long distances and if no wind? Or are they completely useless for putting?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I happen to putt with heavy and slow putters I guess, 175ish D Magnets. I don't have any problems they perform perfectly. Even for long putts just let the disc fly naturally and adjust accordingly.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

according to your OP you are looking for two different shots completely. something to sneak around things and flex/fade will need to be very overstable. something to make long putts needs to hold straight for a long time. these two do not go hand in hand.

truly, the best putter for long distance will be identical to your main putter, just beaten up. wizards are one of THE classic molds for this. as you beat up the base plastic it picks up glide and loses its stability so it holds the line longer, similar to a lighter putter. putting is all about consistency and it's tough to be consistent if you are throwing vastly different weights. you're right that a heavier putter has more mass for gravity to pull on but that's not what's causing the shot to go to ground before it flexes - what causes the putter to stay straight is the fact that it's a putter. putters don't really do short range flex shots well at all. they're designed to fly quite straight in general at low speed. you'll need to throw higher to give it more time. you were coming from the standpoint of lighter putter =more glide=more time aloft=more time to flex and come back . . . but because lighter putters hold lines longer due to the same or greater force (your putt) acting on less mass, you won't get your desired result.

for instance, i have a beaten up kc aviar that will hold a straight putt all the way to the end with little to no fade. my fresh one will fade before it gets to the basket once i'm about 60 feet out if i just putt at the basket and don't account for it. i could putt with anhyzer to flex out for distance or i could putt farther to the right and with more height, but i don't want to. it's easier to just putt straight with a beat putter.

light putters are in no way useless, it's just that they aren't as reliable. you're basically looking to either get a light putter to hold straight for a looooong time, beat up one of your two current putters and use one for long putts and one for circle putts (a tried and true, very common approach) or get a different putter, a more neutral/understable putter, that will hold the line longer. something like a summit, pure or a warden or a swan.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 12-31-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts

these people know what's up, listen to koda.

the least amount of variation in your bag is key to gaining consistency and bagging birdies i.e keeping your putters the same weights with different stages of wear or different plastic blends especially if you putt with and BB stable to overstable putter mold.

putting is 90% percent of the game when it comes to playing good rounds. your putter should be the most reliable, trusty, consistent part of your bag.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:56 PM

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a DX Wedge 134g, I bought it just to try out something super light and see what it does. It's, not surprisingly, very understable. The funny part was when it hit the outer chain, it just bounced off. So, I won't be using that putter often. Fun to throw though.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I use a max weight Wizard for anything within about 50' or so and switch to a proto Touch for anything further or that I need to hold an anny line. Even worn Wizards don't flex putt well for me. Touch flies the exact same as Wizards it seems, just longer/ with less effort.