Old 01-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered a couple of 170g Wardens (vs my usual 175g) to experiment with, I struggle keeping my putter on the desired flight path outside of 30'. I don't think DD has 165-169g available, or at least I've never seen them.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,316 Times in 660 Posts

If you need something to fade around obstacles try turning an overstable driver upside down and putting with it (this is also great for when the wind is howling).
Old 01-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 73 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
If you need something to fade around obstacles try turning an overstable driver upside down and putting with it (this is also great for when the wind is howling).
Done this quite a bit, even experimented with putting full time with a Buzzz, but still found myself more accurate with my Judges after I got them. The Suspect is a great disc for getting around obstacles and holds a hyzer line quite well, even feels close to my Judge, which is why I bag it for those hyzer up shots and getting around things for putts.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,170 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
Should have been a baseball player, hitting a baseball is one of the only times that cross dominate eyes are extremely beneficial.
What's funny is I was a baseball player. I excelled at pitching, and played a decent 1st base and even 3rd base, but I could never hit for crap.

*Shrug*
Old 01-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 23 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatepickles View Post
I ordered a couple of 170g Wardens (vs my usual 175g) to experiment with, I struggle keeping my putter on the desired flight path outside of 30'. I don't think DD has 165-169g available, or at least I've never seen them.
This is what I did; switched from 175g Wardens to 170g Wardens for putting.

I typically "spush" putt from an inline / slightly staggered stance. The 170g Warden is much easier for me to get the finger spring and disc rotating, leading to straighter putts. The lighter weight is also easier to get up in the air, especially on hyzer / anhyzer "trick" putts, putts from a compromised straddle stance or from distance outside the circle. I still keep the 175g Wardens in the bag for throwing. And if the wind is really howling, I'll switch up to these heavier discs for more control with a faster drop.

And the lightest Warden I have regularly seen is 170g. Ebay has a couple of 169.7g Wardens for sale, though...
Old 01-02-2015, 03:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.2
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 21 Times in 17 Posts

I like to keep it consistant. My light putter is a 174 medium Pure. My heavy approach putter is 176 Recycled Pure.

Understable approach is still a 175 skeeter.

I added a 175 star Stingray recently.

175 Ti Buzzz, 175 Buzzz OS

175 McPro Roc3 still on the new side. In the bag but only used when I feel like breaking out some bling
Old 01-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
according to your OP you are looking for two different shots completely. something to sneak around things and flex/fade will need to be very overstable. something to make long putts needs to hold straight for a long time. these two do not go hand in hand.

truly, the best putter for long distance will be identical to your main putter, just beaten up. wizards are one of THE classic molds for this. as you beat up the base plastic it picks up glide and loses its stability so it holds the line longer, similar to a lighter putter. putting is all about consistency and it's tough to be consistent if you are throwing vastly different weights. you're right that a heavier putter has more mass for gravity to pull on but that's not what's causing the shot to go to ground before it flexes - what causes the putter to stay straight is the fact that it's a putter. putters don't really do short range flex shots well at all. they're designed to fly quite straight in general at low speed. you'll need to throw higher to give it more time. you were coming from the standpoint of lighter putter =more glide=more time aloft=more time to flex and come back . . . but because lighter putters hold lines longer due to the same or greater force (your putt) acting on less mass, you won't get your desired result.

for instance, i have a beaten up kc aviar that will hold a straight putt all the way to the end with little to no fade. my fresh one will fade before it gets to the basket once i'm about 60 feet out if i just putt at the basket and don't account for it. i could putt with anhyzer to flex out for distance or i could putt farther to the right and with more height, but i don't want to. it's easier to just putt straight with a beat putter.

light putters are in no way useless, it's just that they aren't as reliable. you're basically looking to either get a light putter to hold straight for a looooong time, beat up one of your two current putters and use one for long putts and one for circle putts (a tried and true, very common approach) or get a different putter, a more neutral/understable putter, that will hold the line longer. something like a summit, pure or a warden or a swan.
This was a great read, and I appreciate the information. Very helpful! Puts my mind at ease when it comes to what kind/weight of putter I should be working with. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
Hey, I'm left eye dominant and right handed also. My eye doctor told me I was special, but clearly he's an idiot.
For whatever that's worth, I don't think it affects my putting. I'm a spin or spush putter (does it really matter what we call it?) and I'm a better putter than anything else on the course.
Just find a comfortable, repeatable motion/style and you'll be fine. And putt confidently for God sakes. It's more mental than you think.
Based on a 1960's study of 5,000 subjects, roughly 29% of the population is right handed and left eye dominant, so it is not as rare as people think.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/the...inant-shooter/