Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 28
Niced 47 Times in 29 Posts
Default Would a C-PD fill this slot?

So right now I'm carrying a beat-in Champ Teebird (hyzer flips to straight or smooth anny's), a newer champ Teebird (pretty much straight with a flat release with a bit of fade), beat-in P-PD (my max distance driver, hyzer flips to S shot, and turn overs), and a S-PD (straight with fade...similar to the newer teebird but seems to hold a hyzer line slightly better at full power).

None of these are all that good in a headwind as they all will turn and keep turning unless I give them a certain amount of hyzer, but that is a very tough judgement call on exactly how much hyzer I need to give them to keep them from turning over in a headwind. Also, I can't rely on any of these discs for a flex shot either as they will just keep turning and turning. The S-PD may flatten out at the end, but it definitely doesn't have a healthy flex-fade. I also have a Flick for my major overstable duties like skip shots, thumbers and what-not.

Do y'all think a C-PD will fill the role of headwind driver/flex-shot driver well or should I be looking into something else?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

depends on several factors:

1. your power level
2. the strength of the wind
3. do you want a straight driver in a headwind or a heavy fade into it?

At my power level, max 360ft on an average day, my C-PD is very good in up to a 10-15 mph headwind. It will turn for a bit but then come back with enough fade to finish a little left.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 169
Niced 162 Times in 81 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

the C's will flex back out but they just lack the glide for me to ever really get in to them. personally i'd look in something a bit faster for that shot anyways. i throw a quasar for my flex shots and they handle wind pretty well. that's just a suggestion but anything in that stability range is a good bet.

a disc that's kinda like the PD but a bit more stable to look at might be a starfire, they fade a lot harder at the end than PD's so will probably flex back out better.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

The CPD is my main headwind driver, it's plenty stable to handle a headwind and still penetrates enough to get some distance.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 47
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

mashnut: what weight? I have a 171g that is seasoned and doesn't handle the heavy wind well without hyzer release.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 828
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Hmm, mine is 173 I think (marked, not scaled) and does fine even in a pretty stiff wind. Mine is a stock stamped run, not one of the crazy beefy CFR ones. It hasn't seemed to lose much stability at all with pretty heavy use.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 169
Niced 162 Times in 81 Posts
Send a message via AIM to New013

i bet those glows coming out next month will be stable enough

hopefully
Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08 View Post
depends on several factors:

1. your power level
2. the strength of the wind
3. do you want a straight driver in a headwind or a heavy fade into it?

At my power level, max 360ft on an average day, my C-PD is very good in up to a 10-15 mph headwind. It will turn for a bit but then come back with enough fade to finish a little left.
1. about 375-400 on a golf line with a good hyzer-flip s-shot with my P-PD (15-20' high), around 350 average with a straighter golf line shot with a Teebird or S-PD or over 400 with a high distance line that I rarely get to throw due to the courses I play. BTW, I'm RHBH

2. Usually in the 10-15 mph range

3. I just want something that will get distance without a continuous turn or having to properly judge a hyzer release angle depending on the speed of the wind. I want to be able to release it flat, and if it turns a little and comes back that's fine, but I don't want it turning for the majority of its flight. So no, I'm not really looking for a big fade at the end, but rather something that will go straightish.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is GLOW coming??? That's gonna be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
i bet those glows coming out next month will be stable enough

hopefully

Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
the C's will flex back out but they just lack the glide for me to ever really get in to them. personally i'd look in something a bit faster for that shot anyways. i throw a quasar for my flex shots and they handle wind pretty well. that's just a suggestion but anything in that stability range is a good bet.

a disc that's kinda like the PD but a bit more stable to look at might be a starfire, they fade a lot harder at the end than PD's so will probably flex back out better.
I'm not familiar with the Quasar so I'm not sure what other discs are in their speed/stability range, but generally speaking I'm not a fan of warp speed drivers. Most of the courses I play are fairly wooded so a big fade/skip at the end is not going to do me any favors and it also means that I'm not usually dealing with monsoon winds.

Edit: looked up the Quasar...a warp speed meat hook like the Ape. I've already got a meat hook in the Flick that I will use for skip shots or really strong headwinds. I'm just not sure that's what I'm looking for.

Last edited by skurf; 01-29-2013 at 10:53 PM.