Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaven View Post
It seems like people are getting pretty mad about people not letting them play through even though they never asked. I think this is a little ridiculous, maybe those people new to the game just don't realize they are being an inconvenience, a simply polite may we play through would be all it would take in most cases.

I will say there is a wrong way to ask if you can play through though. I was playing in my first tournament the other week and on one hole I threw over a blind hill and was searching for my disc, I had walked the course only one time before so I was still very unfamiliar with it. unbeknownst to me and the group I was playing with another group was on the tee (remember it was a blind hill so we could not see them). After a couple minutes a guy comes over the hill and says real dickish like "so are you going to let us play through or do we have to wait for you". I really wanted to let this guy have it but decided not to because it was an unfamiliar situation. We of course let them play through but I mean just ask politely I would of course let someone play through while I am searching.
Some people just have no patience at all....another reason I'd like to see more pay for play courses...keep out some of the trash...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.3
Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to mambrose

Quote:
It seems like people are getting pretty mad about people not letting them play through even though they never asked. I think this is a little ridiculous, maybe those people new to the game just don't realize they are being an inconvenience, a simply polite may we play through would be all it would take in most cases.

I will say there is a wrong way to ask if you can play through though. I was playing in my first tournament the other week and on one hole I threw over a blind hill and was searching for my disc, I had walked the course only one time before so I was still very unfamiliar with it. unbeknownst to me and the group I was playing with another group was on the tee (remember it was a blind hill so we could not see them). After a couple minutes a guy comes over the hill and says real dickish like "so are you going to let us play through or do we have to wait for you". I really wanted to let this guy have it but decided not to because it was an unfamiliar situation. We of course let them play through but I mean just ask politely I would of course let someone play through while I am searching.

did it happen to be the tourny at brewer? i found out about it the day after it happened =(, how did you do in the tourney btw?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhoffman2 View Post
Just yesterday, there was a 4some in front of my friend and I. We asked to play through b/c they were kind of slow and had a noob with them. They said No b/c there was groups in front of them. So on the one hole, the noob threw way right in the woods. All 4 guys went in looking, so we teed off. We played through, then the 4 some in front of them let us by, and we cruised through to the end. I was pretty pissed that they said no, especially since it was 2 of us and they had a noob with them who was never in the fairway.
But they were ahead of you and they did say no...you should respect that, even if they are being ridiculous. Besides, if you play 18 holes how long does it generally take? Maybe an hour or a little bit longer. So what, you get stuck behind a group playing a little slow and that adds what...maybe 10 minutes to your round? If 10 or 15 minutes is that big of a deal to you, perhaps you shouldn't have gone out to play disc golf being so rushed....
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 22
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

around here it's rare that you even have to ask, though it does happen from time to time. People just let faster players play through.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

A little off-topic, but yesterday we had a group of 5 adults and my 9-year-old son, and there was a group of 2 guys coming up quick behind us, so we all sat by the next tee intending to let the twosome through. They get up to us, see us sitting there, and say, "Thanks for letting us play through, guys." I responded, "Oh, just because we're all sitting here you think we're gonna let you through?" with a quick smirk and a wink. They laughed immediately as we waved them through, but I wondered afterwards if my sarcasm could have been misconstrued if the group hadn't been a couple cool guys (like, a bunch of drunk rednecks or something)....in any case, I'm not deterred from messing with people.

One thing that does aggravate me is when a smaller group comes up behind our group as we're like mid-fairway on the hole, and we've usually got a kid or two in our group, and the group on the tee keeps looking up at us all annoyed and impatient like we're obligated to just step aside right then and there and let them through...but nobody's ever yelled up to us to hurry up or anything, just that impatient pacing around on the tee pad like it's our fault we didn't see them coming up in the woods a few holes back. Of course we'll let you through, fellas, but not while we're taking our second shots!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 18 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynes32 View Post
Anyone else had similar experiences, or am I just blessed in where I play?
You are blessed, but you are not alone. At our home course most folks are very respectful of others. Not once did anyone ever tell us no when we asked to play thru and more often than not it's offered.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.2
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Count me in the blessed category I guess.

I've been emptying my bag on a lot of holes as I try to get back in to my old form, so usually its me just sitting down at the next tee to let others play through (and I actually seem to get a lot of folks who seem nervous to pass me on the course).

On the few occasions I actually have caught up to a group, they've always offered before I really even caught them (as I usually practice a few more putts if I'm coming up on a group to stay back).
Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
This was definitely a part of my reason for asking, Adaven. I will always, always ask politely if not offered. I was wondering because there seemed to be a lot of "they TOTALLY didn't offer to let me play through!" stories lately. Are people nervous about asking? I've never had a bad reaction when I either ask, or am asked.

Maybe it's just me
Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to zbyrd

My local park has a lot of families and rookies, so people are annoyingly unfamiliar with proper etiquette. The other day, my brother and I got behind a Mom, Dad, and Kid(which frequently play there) on the first tee. We arrived at the same time and, out of courtesy, we didn't ask the play through when the started to set up by the tee pad. Well, we stood there for 3-4 minutes as the threw about 10 discs apiece before they offered to let us go through. I can't fathom how such a thing could be caused by anything other than pure rudeness.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 17
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbyrd View Post
My local park has a lot of families and rookies, so people are annoyingly unfamiliar with proper etiquette. The other day, my brother and I got behind a Mom, Dad, and Kid(which frequently play there) on the first tee. We arrived at the same time and, out of courtesy, we didn't ask the play through when the started to set up by the tee pad. Well, we stood there for 3-4 minutes as the threw about 10 discs apiece before they offered to let us go through. I can't fathom how such a thing could be caused by anything other than pure rudeness.
That burns me. I dont mind waiting and in fact, I am all about relaxing and taking your time; but when you are at the tee at the same time as someone else, either insist they go first OR dont throw the practice and warm up throws.

On the opposite spectrum, yesterday, i showed up at tee 1 and I saw a group gettingnear an alternate tee. So we waited at the main tee and one guy was drawing on his disc while another was sitting there so we went ahead and went. By the time we got down to our discs, they suddenly then were at the tee looking at us waiting to throw. Hey, we tried at least.