Multiple plastic types 23 40.35%
Multiple weights 5 8.77%
Beat in artificially by force 5 8.77%
Just use different molds 24 42.11%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2017, 12:18 PM
Par Member

Niced 43 Times in 32 Posts

Aw man. I love feeding the urge for new plastic in the off-season but you make too much sense streets. Lol
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2017, 02:58 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 667 Times in 375 Posts

Another angle is playing one or two disc rounds. If you only carry your Star Teebird (and maybe a putting putter too) it'll force you to manipulate said TB in ways you never have before (or try to at least). The combination of that and the fact it's the only disc you're throwing all round equates to more tree hits and hard landings, breaking it in more rapidly.

Rinse, repeat. It'll familiarize you with each mold better in a shorter time period.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,316 Times in 660 Posts

As someone who plays about as often as you do and who carries multiples of fewer molds, I do two things. If I have enough of a cycle of a mold, I use them. If I lose one and don't have a backup, I'll find a new mold that can suffice in that role until I either find a used disc in a similar condition as the one I lost or get another seasoned to that spot. My most beat QJLS (thank you, ODRB!) is super flippy and super long. While the speeds are far apart, I've found that the Legacy Mongoose in Icon plastic can fly similar enough lines. If I lost or broke the QJ, I'd deal with the Mongoose in its place until I could find another JLS beat to just as flippy as the one I lost.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 21
Niced 144 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
As someone who plays about as often as you do and who carries multiples of fewer molds, I do two things. If I have enough of a cycle of a mold, I use them. If I lose one and don't have a backup, I'll find a new mold that can suffice in that role until I either find a used disc in a similar condition as the one I lost or get another seasoned to that spot. My most beat QJLS (thank you, ODRB!) is super flippy and super long. While the speeds are far apart, I've found that the Legacy Mongoose in Icon plastic can fly similar enough lines. If I lost or broke the QJ, I'd deal with the Mongoose in its place until I could find another JLS beat to just as flippy as the one I lost.

I also do this. Lose a beat teebird, I put in my cheetah until I find a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 190
Niced 1,588 Times in 918 Posts

If you only play 2-4 times a month because youre that casual, couldnt you just use whatever discs are laying around in your trunk??

Does this really matter?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,013 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Better of carrying less discs and molds in general. Buy discs that work multiple lines and slots over here’s my us disc, my stable disc and my OS disc. Learn to throw lines with discs, not discs for lines.
Disagree, which is why I'm not a mold minimalist and why I'm not interested at all in cycling discs. I'd rather have different discs thrown consistently than trying to constantly change how I throw one disc.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,439 Times in 668 Posts

Now there's a surprise ^^^^^
Old 11-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 205 Times in 137 Posts
Default Different molds for OS/N/US, rinse and replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing but cage View Post
...So my question is for those of you in a similar situation, what variables do you use to simulate wear?
I only get out about 5-6 times a month during the dark days of winter, so I decided to skip trying to season discs, as I usually lose them long before they get too worn in. I just buy a few molds of premium plastic that fly close to the same, whether worn or right out of the box, and can be replaced quickly and easily as needed.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 41
Niced 667 Times in 375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Disagree, which is why I'm not a mold minimalist and why I'm not interested at all in cycling discs. I'd rather have different discs thrown consistently than trying to constantly change how I throw one disc.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 29 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing but cage View Post
Just to clarify, the question isn’t how to faster beat up a disc. It’s what are people’s preferred ways to replicate the flight of a beat up disc. I didn’t think that was asked about at nauseam
My post wasn’t meant for your original post it was about the one saying top pros carry a ton of molds I have no problem with the op.