Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 98
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Bringing the Roc into it. I know that people try to minimize molds, but there is enough difference between Buzzzes, Rocs, and eMac Truths to justify carrying all three. I do really like my mids though:

beat Super Color buzzz, dead nuts straight to turnover
beat QMS, late turnover
beat eMac Truth, straight with dependable fade
Max weight KC pro Roc, windy conditions, dependable hard fade
Gator: dumpy hard fade or skip

Obviously not a mold minimalist.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 269 Times in 170 Posts

I can agree that the truth (and for that matter, the buzzz) are not ‘finesse’ mids. They probably require a little more oomf than a Roc or ghost. I’m cool with that, I’m not much of a finesser! Each their own.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 655 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGottem View Post
I tried out the eMac in all the plastics and it threw very similar to my buzzz. However dd doesn’t have a plastic that holds up as long as z plastic imo. I felt like the truth broke in way to fast
I will agree with this. Z is some of the most indestructible plastic I've ever seen. It seems to wear very gracefully too.

DD doesn't have any plastic that even comes close to Z's durability.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 51
Niced 269 Times in 170 Posts

Z is super durable. Also really hard and slick, but that doesn’t deter me from throwing some Z, although I try to avoid it when it’s wet.

Lucid isn’t as durable, but it’s got some great grip. Definitely seasons a little faster than stiff JL or Z, but that’s fine with me. Means I can cycle molds in with a little wear, like those minimalist people do.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:55 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,996 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
DD doesn't have any plastic that even comes close to Z's durability.
Not sure if Z is *the* most durable plastic, but I agree that DD's plastics are not very durable. I had to pretty much give up Gold Line Rivers because they just would not hold any stability with use. Even Opto is nothing like Champion or Z. Gold Line Furys take advantage of that lack of durability, though...
Old 09-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 27 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I switched out Rocs for EMac Truths for a hot minute when they first came out. To me the ET has a very Roc-like flight with a very different rim feel. It seemed just a bit more high speed stable than most Buzzzes I've owned. However, the ET always FELT like it would fly further than my Rocs because of the low profile, but when I threw them side-by-side on the same holes, the Rocs would fly just as far. I also felt like I needed to give the ET a little more power to get there than a Roc too, and I don't like throwing mids full power. When I'm throwing mids, I'm usually looking for accuracy, and I sacrifice some of that when I'm trying to rip on them. So I went back to Rocs.
I started out a Roc guy, but I'm the opposite of you, I like to throw my mids pretty hard, so when I dropped Rocs for Buzz/Hornet combo it really improved my scores. A big part of my game is throwing low, firm, straight shots, and the Buzzz is a real treat to throw on those lines.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 98
Niced 232 Times in 124 Posts

Innova's modern version of champion plastic may last forever but I just don't like the feel of it. It's too hard and slick and almost impossible for me to grip in humid or wet conditions. And it takes forever to break in even a little. Some Z plastic is almost as "bad" but not nearly as much. I have modern lucid and z in my bag but not champ for that reason. My experience with lucid is about the same as everyone's.... breaks in very fast....but mine is holding there for a really long time. I'm okay with that.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 44
Niced 257 Times in 111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_vandelay View Post
Innova's modern version of champion plastic may last forever but I just don't like the feel of it. It's too hard and slick and almost impossible for me to grip in humid or wet conditions. And it takes forever to break in even a little. Some Z plastic is almost as "bad" but not nearly as much. I have modern lucid and z in my bag but not champ for that reason. My experience with lucid is about the same as everyone's.... breaks in very fast....but mine is holding there for a really long time. I'm okay with that.
Gummy champ is awesome though. Wish it was more widely available.