Old 06-09-2019, 02:48 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 677 Times in 582 Posts

For Putter Drives it is the Same grip I use for very short midrange shots and some approach shots, a driver slant power grip like i would with a driving shot but with first finger out in middle of rim/wing. This allows for the disc to come off smooth off the hand so I can throw the putter/putter shape midrange without wobble in the drive and have a good flight to the disc. You need to have a smooth drive with a putter/putter shaped midrange disc to avoid getting a bad flight from the disc. The first finger where it is helps with control of the disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 30
Niced 237 Times in 122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
i extend the middle and ring fingers, index and pinky on the rim. ring finger less extended than the middle, sometimes even touching the pinky.
That’s my grip throwing the Scale also
Old 06-09-2019, 01:50 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 2,097 Times in 791 Posts

This thread is fascinating. I've always found the Scale to feel pretty shallow compared to Wizards and Aviars, the grip is a non-issue for me. The feel of a disc is such a personal thing.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 155 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
I never felt comfortable placing my fingers inside the rim on putters, that's why I ended up throwing them with somewhat unorthodox grip I guess.

https://imgur.com/a/MZLyvH2

Some might say it's not strong enough for throwing, but I can get my putters to 300 feet with it even thought my technique is far from good. Other advantage is that those come out of hand really clean.
I can't get anywhere close to that kind of distance, but this is similar to how I'd throw my rattler. But the harder I try to throw it, the more painful it becomes because it just grates across the length of my fingers.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:41 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lines View Post
Yes, power grip it and then extended your middle finger. Any luck?
This worked! I never had a chance to reply because I was out trying it out and then getting ready for a weekend of fun (and away from the keyboard).
But using technique worked well. It was a touch awkward at first--had to think about what I was doing and look at the bottom of the disc to know I was doing it right each time--but I was getting clean releases that weren't painful. I like how the middle finger balances the pressure from the thumb to keep the disc flat. In fact, I played a two day tournament this weekend (that was the weekend of fun) and made the decision to swap out my rattler with the scale because I was getting reliable throws with it and spent the week practicing putting with challengers to replace the rattler there. The scale outperformed my expectations. I was able to lay up many more shots with the scale than I think might have happened if I tried to do the same with the rattler, challenger, or zone. I obviously don't know this for certain because I didn't try, but I really liked it, once I was able to throw it

Niced: (1)
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
i extend the middle and ring fingers, index and pinky on the rim. ring finger less extended than the middle, sometimes even touching the pinky.
I'm going to try this too. I found success with the way Lines told me to try it (just the middle finger extended) but I'm always open to suggestion. Are you saying that instead of putting your middle finger tip on the rim, you have it on the flight plate kind of making a straight line between pinky, ring, and middle finger tips? Because at first I read this wrong and thought you had your ring and middle fingers touching which might also be interesting; the extended finger did a nice job balancing the disc for me. Anyway, I'm going to try your advice too, so thanks!
Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
This thread is fascinating. I've always found the Scale to feel pretty shallow compared to Wizards and Aviars, the grip is a non-issue for me. The feel of a disc is such a personal thing.
It really is, and I guess when you're new-ish like me and learning better habits (and sometimes reinforcing bad ones by accident) discs you once liked now feel weird and others that you once wrote off are now amazing, both in hand and in flight. I've never held a wizard, I just knew that the scale was touted as a glideless wizard, so since I knew a lot of folks like the wizard, opening feedback up to wizard throwers would increase responses. Three weeks ago, I would have flat out denied that there was any putter that would feel better or more natural in hand to me than my rattler and thus I would never part with it. And this past weekend, I didn't even bag a rattler at a tournament (replacing the slot with this scale) and I didn't miss it. Go figure.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 327
Niced 215 Times in 109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
I'm going to try this too. I found success with the way Lines told me to try it (just the middle finger extended) but I'm always open to suggestion. Are you saying that instead of putting your middle finger tip on the rim, you have it on the flight plate kind of making a straight line between pinky, ring, and middle finger tips? Because at first I read this wrong and thought you had your ring and middle fingers touching which might also be interesting; the extended finger did a nice job balancing the disc for me. Anyway, I'm going to try your advice too, so thanks!

same as Lines but both the middle and ring fingers extended out on the flight plate. when doing this my middle and ring fingers are not touching each other, about 1/2 inch apart. also, these fingers are not completely flat and extended. i have a little bend in my middle joint.

sometimes i also do the same thing but take my ring finger and stack it on top of my pinky, so it's not on the rim but close to it.

there are so many options. good luck!

Old 06-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 62
Niced 100 Times in 70 Posts

Every disc I throw, whether a distance driver or beach frisbee, I have the bead (or where the bead would be) resting in my first knuckle. Doing that cleaned up the flight of my deeper discs immensely.