Old 06-21-2013, 01:45 AM

Courses Played: 11
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Mapping a disc golf course - Zephyr Cove

I am a GIS geek who also plays disc golf.
I ran into some of the guys who started the Zephyr Cove DGC, started talking, and next thing I know I am volunteering to map the course.

I started off using google earth, but it was annoying because the aerial imagery shifts between years, I was having a hard time putting together a point file, and then having to draw the lines. I wanted to calculate elevation, and the underlying DEM on google earth is really bad for some parts of the course.

I maintain my own student license of ArcMap 10, and know about a LiDAR dataset that it freely available. I got a bit carried away. If you want me to go into detail of what I did just ask. In short: I used raw LiDAR data (19 million points in 500mb) in my sample area. Processed it into a terrain, created a DEM, DSM, and contour lines. Overlaid my GPS points (~3m accuracy, I need 1m but no one has volunteer a Trimble yet), drew the lines, and extracted elevation data from the DEM.

I know I need to make it printer friendly, and need some direction of what information to include, and I am not artistic at all so it needs some love.
Here is my first map, from about a week ago

and one I did today, this time using UTMs so I could get the distances easier (the right way)

if anyone wants to see a pdf:
https://sites.google.com/site/dpdeeg...edirects=0&d=1

I plan on getting all of the data, including the base images, up on Google Earth. I have been having some trouble with producing the kmz all in one shot, but I think I figured out some different settings.
I know the LiDAR is complete overkill, but I always wanted to calculate vegetation heights.

My next steps are: better GPS points (1m), redoing the DEM/DSM so that I fill in null data and smooth it out so I don't get so much clutter in trees. And add pin positions. Once the base map is figured out adding new points/lines is really easy.
And then get hosting figured out for the kmz and pdf, so that I can just post a QR code at the course.

There are 3 other courses in the Tahoe Basin with LiDAR coverage, so if I can get someone to GPS the courses up north, I'll do all of the courses.

Look closely at the area West of the school, you can see goal posts. The DEM is that accurate.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm the opposite of an art expert, and I only have limited experience with GIS, but:

holy smokes. This is fantastically rich. I am very impressed and excited.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks. If anything I can make an accurate map image that someone can draw over. Or I can refine the vegetation layer. I might be able to greyscale it so that it could be printed, but I like the yellow circles for baskets.
Making something print friendly is difficult, which is why I need some help from someone with knowledge of that side of things.
Once I get the .kmz up on google earth, and working properly so that I can make all my changes in ArcMap, I will link to it here. Maybe have a second version that can be crown sourced? And put something at the course.

For anyone interested in what LiDAR data, you can view it all processed nicely in Google Earth here:
http://www.opentopography.org/index....n_google_earth
The more useful images are the 315/45 slopeshade. The base stuff is cool too because you can see tons of old roads, logging impacts, trails.

PS: I know that the hole 18 data got cut off. I must have accidentally resized that tables when I was removing the QR code and other stuff before I made the image.

I am thinking about making the whole map in meters, to try to convert some people to the metric system. Your discs are already weighted in grams.... might as well go all the way.

Again, if anyone can take accurate GPS data anywhere in Tahoe, and are interested in using the LiDAR base imagery for map making, let me know. I can probably make another one in an afternoon.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 461 Times in 209 Posts

Nice GIS work. I guess my suggestion is that it would be very helpful to include walking paths and/or other objects for the player to use for orientation to the next tee (while at ground level ).
Old 06-21-2013, 03:23 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Nice GIS work. I guess my suggestion is that it would be very helpful to include walking paths and/or other objects for the player to use for orientation to the next tee (while at ground level ).
That is a great suggestion, especially because a lot of work has been done to build paths that guide people and prevent erosion. It wouldn't apply to every hole, but on hole 10 they are trying to guide people down a better path. Better signage at the tee pad would help more, but it should be included on the map.

Until I get better GPS points I am going to smooth that base image out, either in the DEM/DSM, or get it in photoshop as is and see if that is a better tool. I'll need to use that type of software anyway before it goes to print.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 77
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
I've never though about this before, but I really like the idea.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 373
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 109 Times in 56 Posts

I really like the height-of-groundcover on the first map.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 119
Niced 95 Times in 59 Posts

It's a little thing, but I would suggest changing the lines of the flight path from blue to red. The blue blends in too easily with the green foilage. Afterall, that is the most important part of the map.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineappaloupe View Post
Thanks. If anything I can make an accurate map image that someone can draw over.
This is actually a great concept. I've done this with the wilderness course map below. The course steward sent me a google earth data set with points and then I took it from there. So the layout is true to z axis (birdseye) but I worked up the surrounding theme elements on the 3/4 angle. Stars are pins.

It's a concept piece that really plays well for many users. Simple, fun, and engaging. Good for course related brochures that the public would see. Good poster wall hanger for those who love the course. Or could go on the back of a t shirt. A newcomer may see it, think - oh that looks fun, and with the aid of on course directional signage could handle it well. Its a 4x6 ratio, so it can be printed professionally as a "photo" at a photo center cheaply and with great color for handouts. (also a great cheap and easy way to print and distribute tourney maps for player packs at events with event course layouts)

Players wanting "player details" can have another map drawn up.
Good to have both. (and a blackline only version for cheap prints)

I sometimes think we overcook our maps for common use sometimes trying to please tourney style players and in the process alienate, confuse, or intimidate those wishing to simply play the course.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 77
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am in the beginning stages of a potential 9 hole course. The trouble that I'm running into is that it's hard to get a great map. I work for the local Auditor, but our aerial shots from early last year have a bad shadow from trees issue where I can't even hardly tell where the trees are. I've done some ground work, but I'd like to have a map that could help out a little more. Sadly, I going between the auditor's page and bing maps and trying to figure out stuff from there. Any other suggestions on where to check if the map is current and better?