Old 06-11-2018, 10:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 480 Times in 307 Posts
Default Understable driving putters

Hey guys, looking at my options when it comes to an understable driving putter. Trying to narrow down the options that make sense to me so I can figure out what I want to pair with my other driving putters.

My last sentence actually segways into the first option, which is to beat in a stable driving putter to the point that it flips - I have done this with judges, could do this with wizards and shields. This is basically the end game of any putter lineup that includes base plastic, so it's a bit of a no-brainer.

In the meantime, whether I choose wizards, shields, judges, or the like in premium or base, I want an something US off the shelf to complement.

Based on prior experience, most premium plastic putters are not understable enough for my liking at lower speeds, flying instead with too much HSS. The one exception is the star mirage, which is nice and flippy, but does not necessarily slot well next to slower driving putters and encroaches upon comets/tursas.

So if I'm thinking something in base plastic, Gateway immediately jumps to mind - I now own a fresh SSS Magic and a slightly seasoned superglow.

I am also looking at some kind of classic deputy or Swan1. What are some of your favorite US driving putters to pair with a more stable mold? I putt with the Dagger BTW and don't typically throw or drive with it.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2018, 10:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,606 Times in 710 Posts

350 PA4

Niced: (1)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 662 Times in 327 Posts

I bag a Paige Pierce Deputy for that. Controllably US.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 208
Niced 298 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
Hey guys, looking at my options when it comes to an understable driving putter. Trying to narrow down the options that make sense to me so I can figure out what I want to pair with my other driving putters.

My last sentence actually segways into the first option, which is to beat in a stable driving putter to the point that it flips - I have done this with judges, could do this with wizards and shields. This is basically the end game of any putter lineup that includes base plastic, so it's a bit of a no-brainer.

In the meantime, whether I choose wizards, shields, judges, or the like in premium or base, I want an something US off the shelf to complement.

Based on prior experience, most premium plastic putters are not understable enough for my liking at lower speeds, flying instead with too much HSS. The one exception is the star mirage, which is nice and flippy, but does not necessarily slot well next to slower driving putters and encroaches upon comets/tursas.

So if I'm thinking something in base plastic, Gateway immediately jumps to mind - I now own a fresh SSS Magic and a slightly seasoned superglow.

I am also looking at some kind of classic deputy or Swan1. What are some of your favorite US driving putters to pair with a more stable mold? I putt with the Dagger BTW and don't typically throw or drive with it.
Classic Deputy. Probably the only Trilogy disc I throw in the bag. Most of the time I have a beat up Wizard or Magic in that slot, but if I lose a go-to flippy putter the Deputy always goes in to save the day until I beat in another replacement. Out of the box it flies like a beat up Magic with reliable turn and lots of glide.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 783 Times in 376 Posts

Another vote for Deputy. I have thrown the Prime and Prime Burst. It is reliably understable for me. Fairly good distance too, like a Mirage.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 32
Niced 470 Times in 288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
350 PA4
The PA4 is great for this role. I'd recommend 400g though.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,606 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
The PA4 is great for this role. I'd recommend 400g though.
Most people probably prefer the 400 or 400g. Dickerson makes the 400 look like it has eyes threading through the woods. I also had a conversation with a touring pro formerly sponsored by Prodigy and now with another company who said he still misses the PA4 for shaping lines in the woods.

I personally have never really been comfortable with the slicker plastics for discs that I seldom throw hard. YMMV.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 418 Times in 265 Posts

Hard swan 1 reborn is pretty sweet as an understable thrower.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:55 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 209 Times in 138 Posts

If you are already sticking with gateway and using wizards, get yourself an evolution magic. Champion-like plastic and it’s flippy out of the box.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 98 Times in 60 Posts

PA4s are great for this role. I think the upper tier plastics are actually pretty neutral/stable, so they require some seasoning. I’ve thrown 200, 300, and 350, and they’re all much more understable out of the box than the 400/g.
Keep in mind PA4s and Magics are nearly identical. PA4s tend to be perfectly flat though.