Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 297 Times in 173 Posts

I agree with all these points. I just thought for a sec there was an argument that you needed a 500ft arm to properly utilize a Firebird
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 464 Times in 215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
For the longest time I was a Banshee elitist, even bagging a pair of Xcals for a while as well. Made the transition and haven't looked back. I think you made the right move!

I will say it's probably too much disc for the lower powered players even though I constantly see/hear about them throwing one anyway. Whatever, not my problem lol

See, heres the thing I like about the disc- It is a meat hook but it is t without its finesse either. Also its a great mold that remains really OS in very light weights, so Id contend that someone developing a smooth forehand would be very well served by bagging a firebird in a lighter weight.

Not every disc has to be thrown at max weight and used as a distance bomber, yknow?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 838 Times in 458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
See, heres the thing I like about the disc- It is a meat hook but it is t without its finesse either. Also its a great mold that remains really OS in very light weights, so Id contend that someone developing a smooth forehand would be very well served by bagging a firebird in a lighter weight.

Not every disc has to be thrown at max weight and used as a distance bomber, yknow?
It's not really a great disc to develop a smooth FH, neutral discs are better to develop form. Not to say a lighter Firebird won't have a use for a relatively new player but they'd generally have to torque it to get a decent flight.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 263 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
A Firebird will only be useful to new players IF THEY ARE AWARE OF WHAT THE DISC IS USED FOR!

Which, is pretty much what I said
Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 960 Times in 631 Posts

Firebirds are great, personally my game is dependent upon a Firebird or similar disc. I gave my friend who throws 250 one to try and it is no different for him in flight than his River Pro, new players who throw 350+ maybe can get good use from it. But they aren’t for feint or arm.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 297 Times in 173 Posts

I'm not a new player, but I don't got a big arm. I throw like 330 on a good day and I notice really big difference between a Firebird, a gold line Spark and a Star Teebird. I also notice a big difference between a fast distance driver and a Firebird. A Firebird-type disc should be on most players bag IMO, except maybe somebody that just started or somebody that plays just a few times per year
Old 03-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

I find this kind of a silly argument. If you play in heavy winds and know how to keep the nose of the disc down, then you definitely can make use of a Firebird or similar mold. I mean, maybe if all you do is play in the woods then I can see how they'd be useless until a certain power level. But if you play open windy courses, then a moderate-speed disc that fades no matter what is a necessity. I don't care if you only throw 250', if you're playing in 20-25 mph headwinds then you should be bagging a Zone-like and Firebird-like disc.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 656 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I find this kind of a silly argument. If you play in heavy winds and know how to keep the nose of the disc down, then you definitely can make use of a Firebird or similar mold. I mean, maybe if all you do is play in the woods then I can see how they'd be useless until a certain power level. But if you play open windy courses, then a moderate-speed disc that fades no matter what is a necessity. I don't care if you only throw 250', if you're playing in 20-25 mph headwinds then you should be bagging a Zone-like and Firebird-like disc.

If you're only throwing 250', ANY overstable driver will act like a Firebird. It won't go anywhere, and will fade hard. A Firebird will fly like a dinner plate for anyone who throws that short. The lack of glide and heavy fade would make it a chore to throw for those guys.

The only thing guys who throw that short could use a Firebird for is chucking "get out of trouble" shots out of the woods.

A Firebird for me is used more for short drives that I would normally make with midrange discs.... but when the conditions are too windy for mids to be consistent or penetrate. I can throw a Roc3 and a Firebird similar distances, but on vastly different lines. More often than not the Firebird will be more accurate because you know where its going (because its so glideless).

I guess my point is, for a very weak arm a Firebird would be nothing more than a niche disc. I'm of the mind that a Firebird would have very limited effective use thrown that lightly.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Niced 246 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
[/B]

If you're only throwing 250', ANY overstable driver will act like a Firebird. It won't go anywhere, and will fade hard. A Firebird will fly like a dinner plate for anyone who throws that short. The lack of glide and heavy fade would make it a chore to throw for those guys.
Except when people only disc up in speed for OS you run into problems in headwinds. Like people who throw destroyers 250' for their firebird shots, and then you get a 20 MPH headwind it's basically like you just got it up to speed and it flexes on you. It's always more consistent to bag something naturally OS than something that's only OS cause you can't get it up to speed.

Niced: (2)

Old 03-24-2019, 11:35 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 675 Times in 581 Posts

Quote:
[/B]

The only thing guys who throw that short could use a Firebird for is chucking "get out of trouble" shots out of the woods.

A Firebird for me is used more for short drives that I would normally make with midrange discs.... but when the conditions are too windy for mids to be consistent or penetrate. I can throw a Roc3 and a Firebird similar distances, but on vastly different lines. More often than not the Firebird will be more accurate because you know where its going (because its so glideless).

I guess my point is, for a very weak arm a Firebird would be nothing more than a niche disc. I'm of the mind that a Firebird would have very limited effective use thrown that lightly.
I throw 250-275 feet and I use a Destroyer in Champion at 167 grams is the better disc that I can get to do the flex line just it ends short at 250-275 feet in there. The 170 gram Champion Destroyer is one that does more a shot of the shape of a stung up longbow. The 170 gram Champion Destroyer is too much for me except in winds that are steady at 30 mph or gusts at a minimum of 35-40 mph depending on how covered the shot I am making. I should get a lower speed disc like a Thunderbird for such shots, I wish a disc with Wraith numbers but a 9 speed was available. Orc is too odd in hand with the big curve to the wing, I tried my bothers disc that was the first of the newer mold of Orc in DX back in the 2000's when his disc was still new.