Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,169 Times in 525 Posts

There are no best woods discs, except to say the ones you're most familiar and comfortable with.

You need to know your angles and how your discs behave on those angles. Which discs have minimal fade, which you can flex, how much they'll skip, etc. You need to know which of your discs you like for utility and recovery shots.

Throwing a bunch of new, unfamiliar discs in before a tournament is likely a recipe for disaster for most.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Niced 714 Times in 323 Posts

almost all my local courses are thickly wooded and have tons of elevation. Here are characteristics of different disc styles I find useful in the woods:

1- neutral so it can hold a smooth hyzer, anhyzer, or straight shot
2- straight to fade for hooking the fade around obstacles
3- very understable so that a hyzer can flip past flat and have a late turn. This sounds like it might overlap my second point but the late turn will help it carry further past the obstacle for going further down the dogleg.
4- very soft discs for stopping on fast/scary greens or resisting roll-aways.
5- high glide and/or a little extra speed for max distance under low ceilings

some of these characteristics can be combined into one mold, some cannot.
For me, these characteristics play out in these molds:
- Polecat, Sonic, or MVP Electron Spin (very slow and glidey, can go long distances without much armspeed. Sometimes you are in jail and can't do much more than a wrist-flick. These discs work very well in these situations)
- Dart (current test mold... temporarily replacing DX Aviar PandA or Anodes) R-Pro will hit-and-stick very well, DX for drives; holds whatever angle you put on it, phenomenal and underrated mold IMO.
- Comet (exceptionally neutral and glidey. My beat X Comet can have a late turn if needed)
- DX Roc (Fresh Rocs will fade around obstacles, beat Rocs overlap Comets a bit but have a bit more HSS)
- Leopard (DX for very understable, Pro for neutral, Champ for near overstable. These have lower ceiling requirements while maintaining great glide.)
- Predator/Motion/Firebird (sometimes you gotta bring the beef. Hard hooks, flexing out of an anny, skip shots, FH rollers, thumbers/tommys, etc)

hope this helps.

Last edited by Marmoset; 03-25-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 946 Times in 543 Posts

^
Good advice. I would add:
Use the slowest disc possible that shapes your line. You will get into trouble less. As in use an Envy/jOKERI/Wizard over a Roc/Wasp when possible. If you over shoot, the pain is less.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 46
Niced 3,418 Times in 1,470 Posts

Don't be afraid to throw a short shot back into the fairway from the rough...a 4 is better than a 6 any day.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 24 Times in 17 Posts

Thanks for all of the input Guys. FWIW, I don’t really intend to change out my discs this close to the tournament. I’ll use the ones I’m used to. Really, I just wanted to know what the more experienced players like to find in a disc that’s well suited to the woods. The competition is at a new course (it’s their Grand Opening event) so I won’t get any opportunity to play the course beforehand but I heard that it’s very heavily wooded. I’d like to get to where I have a bag for wooded courses and one for courses that are wide open so I was trying to pry into the collective experience here.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.9
Courses Played: 26
Niced 391 Times in 237 Posts

I tend to leave my perfectly seasoned discs at home, for a couple reasons.
1) as other have already stated, low fade discs are great. A fresh naturally flippy disc tends to fade less than a disc that started out stable but has beat into flippiness
2) I don't play wooded courses very regularly, so I am at a higher risk for losing discs than normal. As such I don't want to lose discs that I've been beating in for over a year

As for specific molds that I like in the woods, I find I throw an Evidence, Tursas, and Hatchet a lot.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 321 Times in 219 Posts

Proxy, Envy, Roc, Comet, Mako3 are best for my style.

Volt and Relay are good complimentary drivers for heavily wooded technical golf.

I could thrown in a number of different discs depending on course and how fast I want to get
I will lace lines with a Heat. Inertia is definitely handy.

I'll always have a Zone.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:56 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,008 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej View Post
Thanks for all of the input Guys. FWIW, I dont really intend to change out my discs this close to the tournament. Ill use the ones Im used to. Really, I just wanted to know what the more experienced players like to find in a disc thats well suited to the woods. The competition is at a new course (its their Grand Opening event) so I wont get any opportunity to play the course beforehand but I heard that its very heavily wooded. Id like to get to where I have a bag for wooded courses and one for courses that are wide open so I was trying to pry into the collective experience here.
My home course is a mixture of open and wooded holes, and some open-into-wooded holes and wooded-into-open holes. So I don't really have a bag specifically for wooded or open courses; I just take the same bag. I might leave the longer drivers out on very short wooded courses, but that'd be the only change...
Old 03-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Par Member

Niced 124 Times in 63 Posts

^^^ what he said

Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 24 Times in 17 Posts

Word. Thanks Fellas.