Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?
Kids, damn kids on my lawn. It never used to be popular and crowded. 26 16.99%
The sun is hotter than it used to be! 17 11.11%
The attitude that Ed's dead long live McBeth.. Don't these kids know where we came from! 0 0%
Trading "hippies" for "hipsters" 14 9.15%
Too many discs! Back in my day it was a putter, mid and driver. 10 6.54%
The reclassification of my current distance driver as a "fairway driver" 4 2.61%
Mowed and manicured courses, back in my day the rough was rough! 3 1.96%
Thumber, tomahawks, OH.. That's not how a disc is supposed to fly dumbass 8 5.23%
Some 14 year old throwing 200' further than me. 52 33.99%
I've got my own complaint.. See below. 19 12.42%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2019, 03:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 67 Times in 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I'm triggered by your politically incorrect naked child avatar. Are you a Catholic priest?
No. But i totally endorse naked play. Prefferably far from people. And roads. Wanna go backpacking?
Not with me.....
Just go somewhere and have fun!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2019, 03:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 67 Times in 39 Posts

As to the topic, and being over 40.....
I love playing long courses, but my distance has always been weak. I enjoy a midrange game, 250 and in. Just my own fun.
Couldn't care less if i score 20 over on a long course. I still have fun!

Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,033 Times in 1,363 Posts

My annoyance is with these young folks and their constant improvement. They have no idea what it's like to be in decline, to be happy just to maintain a level a little while before sliding some more. So I have to constantly tell them that I used to be able to make this shot.

My doing so is clearly their annoyance.

But I have a backup plan. I'm old enough to have bought land and built a course, so if they complain I can truly say "Get off my lawn!", with some effect.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:24 PM

Years Playing: 32.5
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 28 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Hey remember back before discs had flight ratings? Let alone the concept of speed ratings?

You'd buy a disc, throw the disc and no matter how it flew for you you would keep throwing that disc..

Someone else said it, I read it... but back before we had the Internet for pictures and video.. Back when it took 5 -15 minutes to download a JPEG.. There was nothing to learn from other than people that you would meet on the course. Technique was not widely shared and we just lumped it out best we could. Maybe you subscribed to a DG magazine...

Disc golf was simpler then.... We were doing it wrong but it was simpler..
man I miss the 80's, disc golf in my hometown was finally starting to catch on, here in my parts of Wisconsin it was either football or fishing before that. Our first course was so small that even I could make it under par playing par 3 on all 9 holes.

It was a lot simpler, our local sports shop only sold Innova and Discraft, but the store owners barely knew anything about disc golf much less know anything about the discs themselves, so we just ended up buying what we thought would work and learned by trial and error.

man I miss those days.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,035 Posts

More off-topic hi-jinks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Folfer View Post
You're confused, political correctness has nothing to do with politics. The word you need to look up is "politic" (not "politics"), it relates to that.
Oh I'm very confused. Here are the definitions of "politic:"
Quote:
adj.
Using or marked by prudence, expedience, and shrewdness; artful.
adj.
Using, displaying, or proceeding from policy; judicious: a politic decision.
adj.
Crafty; cunning.
So WTF does that have to do with sex or race again? Or you implying that only certain races or sexes can be shrewd? Sounds kind of racist or sexist to me, man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Okay, I'm going to go through this one time only, because it appears you missed the point. I will not explain this twice.

On page one of this thread, I posted (slyly) the following:

I say slyly because participation in disc golf being overwhelmingly male is a matter of historical record. I probably have a reputation for seeking inclusion and being vocal about it, and I'm an old fart myself, so it was the perfect opportunity to play a role, take a little bit of a shot at myself and the thread in general, and have some fun.

The OP of the thread niced my comment and replied:

He got it perfectly.

And I thought that we were done. Joking comment, acknowledgement by the original poster, winky face, nices all around, we're done. I posted no more in the discussion at all.

Days later and on page six of the comments, you name-checked me and quoted me, and tried to drag me into a thing which I had no part in. I was very curt, because I have no patience for this and would like very much to be doing anything in the world except for interacting with you, since you came at me in bad faith.

Honestly, I don't think I'm going to reach you. All of this is written for the bystanders. They deserve to know where I'm coming from. I fear it's probably wasted on you, however.

Again, I'm explaining this only once. I'm out. Do as you will.
Hi Nova P, let me welcome you to the internet. Here's your original post:
Quote:
Apparently back in the day everyone who played disc golf was male, if I read the OP correctly.
Now, here in the interwebs, we don't have much in the way of context. All you posted were words that you thought appeared sarcastically. A properly accompanying emoji like or could've gone a long way in relating the proper level of sarcasm. Alas, we had nothing to go on which leads to posters like ThrowaEnvy and Golden Tuna assuming you were serious. Why did they think you were being serious? Probably b/c you just had a diatribe a few days ago about PDGA gender policies. ThrowaEnvy tried to diffuse your attempt at humor/political correctness with a quick apology and to you so that you wouldn't go on another PDGA gender policy diatribe. His response to your post was effectively: Please don't get my thread derailed and locked like the PDGA gender policy thread. GoldenTuna inferred that you were complaining about a lack of political correctness (which again is a very easy inference to make due to your lack of context) and complained thusly.

So now the train is well off its original tracks which is where hopped on board. I read that thread when I did, I have no control of that. My post is on page 2 of the thread, not page 6, b/c I have my thread settings set that way. I won't apologize that your thread settings are set like a n00b. Do you even DGCR, bro? My post and argument are entirely appropriate for the topic you apparently accidentally introduced. Deal with it. Have a great day.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 699 Times in 491 Posts

Miscommunication can happen... GO OUTSIDE!!!

"Have we achieved gender equality" thread.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134089

Fight it out there.......
Old 05-09-2019, 06:48 PM

Niced 26 Times in 19 Posts

we NEED more women players!!!

Niced: (1)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 699 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmanXL View Post
It was a lot simpler, our local sports shop only sold Innova and Discraft, but the store owners barely knew anything about disc golf much less know anything about the discs themselves, so we just ended up buying what we thought would work and learned by trial and error.

man I miss those days.
Our store sold Lightning largely.. (Knowing what I know now) with a massive markup! They never flew like their pictures on the front.. Well the hookshot did.. But the Slice nope not at our power level. I vaguely remember getting a Stingray and thinking it was crap, luckily I found another Scorpion.. We threw anything we bought, I remember the Tracer fondly and the Eclipse, I think those were both DC.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:47 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Niced 957 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My annoyance is with these young folks and their constant improvement. They have no idea what it's like to be in decline, to be happy just to maintain a level a little while before sliding some more. So I have to constantly tell them that I used to be able to make this shot.

My doing so is clearly their annoyance.

But I have a backup plan. I'm old enough to have bought land and built a course, so if they complain I can truly say "Get off my lawn!", with some effect.
You do have a good lawn lol

Niced: (1)

Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.2
Courses Played: 340
Niced 1,574 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
My annoyance is with these young folks and their constant improvement. They have no idea what it's like to be in decline, to be happy just to maintain a level a little while before sliding some more. ...
See, you're doing it wrong. What you need to do is start out with no athletic ability whatsoever, then never practice. I can honestly say I'm still improving.

Which leads to my gripe: Some kid saying "I just hope I can play as well as you when I'm you're age."

You should only hope for that if you think I'm 93!

Which makes me think maybe they do.