Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 155 Times in 92 Posts
Default My best shot is unorthodox AF...

and it's underhand.

No joke. Now granted, I'm not a highly developed player like a lot of you here. But I have a shot that I'm very proud of because I can replicate it with decent precision over a 120' to 220' range. In other words, I have a reliable shot to use on most approaches. But like the title says, it's unorthodox as all get out. It is underhand.

The motion starts with a typical FH sidearm backswing, but unlike a normal sidearm flick (like I'd use to throw a zone) I drop my arm and swing underhand bringing the disc really close to my back leg and putting a natural hyzer angle on the disc. The mechanics are similar to a fast pitch softball player throwing a screwball. The bottom line is, with an understable disc, I get a glorious hyzerflip that's easy, predictable, and rides low. The Discraft Sol is my disc of choice with no wind, if I want it to finish turned over, or if it's between 100-160 feet or so. A beat X-buzzz is my go-to if I need it to go a little further or to finish faded.

But searching these forums for underhand doesn't turn up much except for a thread from 2009 where the OP said he did something similar and everyone else just made fun of him/her.

My reason in posting this is, I've learned a lot of useful tips from this website along, and most fall into the "conventional wisdom" of good habits. Seeing as how nobody identifies with RHUH as a style, I'm well aware that it's not a "Best Practices" throw. But since it works so well for me, I thought I'd share it
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 05:39 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 316 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post
a thread from 2009[/URL] where the OP said he did something similar and everyone else just made fun of him/her.
Get ready!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 PM
Birdie Member

Yeah, I guess I'll reap what I sow here, but biomechanically, it's not a bad shot. The only downside I can immediately see is that you are limited to a hyzer release unlike a true sidearm which allows you to range from wrist flexion (anny) to wrist extension (hyzer) easily. In the underhand, you need the hyzer release to generate the snap.
As such, the underhand is a limited niche throw. But then again, so's a thumber or a grenade...
Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 45
Niced 562 Times in 284 Posts

I am having a hard time picturing this. Is it the same motion as tossing a horseshoe?
Old 06-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Birdie Member

I don't play horseshoes, so I'm not sure. From a standstill, I'm in kind of a skateboard stance, left foot forward about 45 degrees, right foot pointing out perpendicular to the throw. Now take the arm back like you're bowling, and swing forward (also like you're bowling)… that's the best I can describe it
Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 103
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Sounds like a FH on max hyzer to me.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 316 Times in 115 Posts

It also seems troublesome out in the fairway as you're throwing so close to the ground/bushes/etc.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
It also seems troublesome out in the fairway as you're throwing so close to the ground/bushes/etc.
Actually, this is where I find it most useful. I don't often throw it from a teepad. Unless you're in waist high velociraptor grasses, there's no interference and because it's so close to the body, I am a lot more comfortable throwing it out of a bad lie than a normal sidearm.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 194
Niced 123 Times in 70 Posts

Video?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 37
Niced 225 Times in 135 Posts

I do similar, only with a fan grip. Goes straight up and down, use it for getting over trees or through tight gaps. Especially useful when you don't want a rollaway, as it has enough backspin to pretty much hit and sit.