Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What are the distinct categories of discs in your bag?

I'm still very new to the sport, and I have a very small bag. I'm interested in buying new discs, but mostly just to try them out and have more discs to practice in the field with. I honestly don't know why I'd need more on the course - but that's what you guys are for!

Most of the players I play with have dozens of discs, but when I ask what the purpose of each one is, I'm not convinced that there really is a purpose.

"This one has slightly more fade than that one."
"How much more fade?"
"About 5%"
"But you don't have accuracy to within 5%, so what's it matter? Why don't you just aim the first disc 5% more to the left?"
(Blank stares)

So fill me in. Convince me that there's more than three or four categories so that I can buy more discs!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have quite a few discs, however, I don't carry all of them in my bag only the ones I throw for a purpose (in fact I think I am going to take a couple out today that I have replaced). I have discs for overhand throws, forehand throws, backhand throws (several with different characteristics). Midrange and Putter. For someone still new to the game if you are going to get more discs for practice I would say get multiple of you primary driver, so that you can get a feel for that disc.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 31
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I can't convince you that there's more than three or four categories I can, however say that it's always fun to try out new discs and have extras for practice...or in case you lose one! When I find something I like, I generally try to stock up and get 3 or 4 of them.
The general setup of my bag is like this: I get 2 drivers I like and carry 2 or 3 of them in different weights. I carry 2 putters, 1 floppy and 1 a little stiffer, 1 understable and 1 stable midrange, maybe a floater, and then one wildcard...something that is extra overstable or something like that....
Old 07-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

I also carry my overhand disc.....so while my bag usually has 18-20 discs...I really only throw about 5 of them...
Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 71
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

My bag
Drivers
  • Overstable Discs
  1. Destroyer (beat in, long straight with fade at the end, can be used for hyzers)
  2. Wraith (used for distance hyzers, quite a bit of fade, but beating it in recently I will need to go purchase a new one for hyzers. Will likely get an Xcaliber)
  3. Teerex (I use this for tomahawks)
  • Understable discs
  1. Beast (beautiful S curves, throw it with wind at the back for massive distance)
  2. Sidewinder (Hyzer Flips and Rollers)
  3. Roadrunner (Long anhyzers)
  • Other
  1. Epic (Thumber)
  2. Assasin (stable long range driver)

Midranges
  • Overstable
  1. Cro (short hyzers)
  2. Wasp (Long hyzers)
  • Understable
  1. Buzzz (recently has gone understable slightly on me, used to be my long straight mid)
  2. Gateway Element (Long amazing anhyzers)

Putters
  1. Magic SS (long putts)
  2. Magic SSS (short putts)

I have more discs and uses, but there's a quick overview.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.1
Niced 316 Times in 115 Posts

There are also two categories of Overstable. Some fade the entire flight and other fade at the end of the flight.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 15 Times in 8 Posts

I pick discs based on the course I am going to play that day.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 6
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a good resource for you. Resisting the urge to buy everything you can get your hands on when you start is tough, but it is important that you buy discs that fit your ability. Adaven's advice of buying multiples of the same disc will also benefit you in your practice much more than a bunch of different discs would.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ingadisc.shtml

Also check out Joe's Flight chart. Very helpful in selecting new discs that fit your power range.
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgol...ightChart1.pdf
Old 07-14-2009, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

I go by this article:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...coverlap.shtml

So I have seven categories of discs with the possibility of one mold covering multiple categories. For example, I throw a Gazelle for my control driver and I use a beat/understable Gazelle for my understable driver. I could also use a Z Avenger for a moderatly overstable driver and an X Avenger for a distance driver.

I do actually carry two molds for the control driver spot, though. I use a Gazelle for when I need to shape lines and a Teebird when I want straight and far. It is overlap, but because the Teebird does straight and far so well and because that's a common shot, IMO it's worth the overlap.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to rockbuddist101

to cover all the shots on a givin round u need about 10 discs. once u get to a more comeptive level u will probably end up carrying 2 discs for each shot for backup, different feels, different weights for wind, ect.
here are the 10 shots i go by:
-long hyzer
-long strait
-long anhyzer
-mid hyzer
-mid strait
-mid anhyzer
-putter
-roller
-touch
-skip

it is easy to see that if u have different weights for different shots when factoring in the wind and other things(not to mention backup discs) it can get very easy to get used to playing with 20 discs, even tho u might only throw a roller once a week. in casual play carrying 20 discs isent really nessary, but u never know when u may have to throw a roller(for example) in a tourny. and if u never carried a roller disc in casual rounds, ur gonna have no idea how to throw one when the time comes. its also y u dont see too many non-serious and inexperienced players carrying 20 discs and vice-versa.