Old 08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to zbyrd
Default Challenger vs. Wizard

I love both these putters.To me, they are head and shoulders above anything else I try. Normally, I'm not one to pay attention to numbers, but looking at joe's universal chart, they are rated exactly the same. I'm trying to pick one and stick with it, so maybe you all can help. To you, what are the differences? Why is one better or worse than the other? Personally, I enjoy the grip of the challenger a bit more(no bead), but the wizard tends to be a little more versatile. I think a lot of the little differences like that, while minute, are probably just in my head anyway. Basically, I'd sum it up to say that I'm more comfortable with the challenger, but feel like the wiz might be more capable, but less easily tamed or controlled. Any advice on picking the "right one"? Also, I've only thrown a pro-d challenger, so what is different with higher grade plastics?
Sponsored Links

Last edited by zbyrd; 08-20-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

no advice here other than I suggest using what feels most comfortable to you. I do love both these putters but between them I like the Challenger more also. It feels more comfortable in my hand so I don't expend any thought on grip and I get more consistent throws with them because of that I believe.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 71
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have not thrown a challenger, so I can only give thoughts on the wizard.

Low end plastic: I absolutely love the feel of a beat in wizard, or any gateway putter. They are consistent in a chalky feel. The bead I did not like at the beginning, but have come to look since then. Someone else in another thread said the bead actually helps for a consistent grip on the putter by putting it on the groove of your knuckle.

I did not like the evolution plastic wizard. To me a putter should be low end plastic, it has more grip for the release, and for the chains to grab. I've had far more spitouts with star or champion type plastic than any other because they are so slick.

Wizard: consistency. The variations are nice to have. Firm, soft, supersoft, superstupid soft. Find what you like and go with it

PRICE!!! I've never seen a gateway putter over 10 bucks. (low end plastic since I don't buy high for putters)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why do you have to choose?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

gateway always had the most rugged base plastic - tho apparently discraft improved their Pro D this year - haven't tried it yet

higher end plastics will either not beat in at all or will beat in VERY SLOWLY - u may want to stick with the pro d stuff since thats what uve been throwing and have had success with.

i think FLX is the only higher end plastic that's soft and will stay in the chains

the discs are so similar. it's like splitting hairs

Last edited by Rbuzz9; 08-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbyrd View Post
Also, I've only thrown a pro-d challenger, so what is different with higher grade plastics?
Lately I've been carrying two Challengers. One is in CryZtal plastic that I use for off the tee and approaches. The other is a Pro-D that I use for putting only. The CryZtal plastic gets fairly gummy as it breaks in and I, personally, love it. I think it makes for a perfectly fine pure putter but it holds up to the abuse of drives better than Pro-D so thats why I use it as I do.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 81
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have both and to me they are virtually identical putters with identical flight characteristics. Even the bead sizes are the same. For that reason I prefer the Pro D Challenger because I can buy a new one any time I want at PIA sports for $6.99. If I want a new Wizard I have to order it online or drive to disc nation and pay $12.99 and they are usually out of them. The Wizard seems to have a stiffer flight plate and chalkier plastic for a slightly better grip. I practice with both simultaneously and they are both very consistent but I carry two challengers in my bag.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 81
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mutt View Post
Lately I've been carrying two Challengers. One is in CryZtal plastic that I use for off the tee and approaches. The other is a Pro-D that I use for putting only. The CryZtal plastic gets fairly gummy as it breaks in and I, personally, love it. I think it makes for a perfectly fine pure putter but it holds up to the abuse of drives better than Pro-D so thats why I use it as I do.
That is exactly what I do except if the basket is located on the side of a steep incline i will approach with the Pro D because the Z has more tendency to pop up on it's edge and roll.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinding View Post
That is exactly what I do except if the basket is located on the side of a steep incline i will approach with the Pro D because the Z has more tendency to pop up on it's edge and roll.
good call. I too have noticed the Z being more likely to bounce and roll.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

just curious have they ever made a Soft Challenger? with same plastic as Soft magnet?