Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Only reason I'd say to wait is that your puppy isn't fully vaccinated yet. I'm no expert but I believe 16 weeks is the age where they can safely go out to public places. You wouldn't want to risk her picking up a disease at the course that could've been prevented by waiting.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 41
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon McCloud View Post
She knows to sit when I tee off, but not any other time. She is really good at sit and stay commands, but when we are out in the grass of the fairway, all she wants to do is run around and play in it, she loves grass. She will usually stop when I tell her to sit, but if I don't go and pet her and tell her she is good, she goes right back to running around. I keep her clipped to my bag and she isn't strong enough to pull it around yet, so she just gets in a tangled mess with the bag. I did 18 holes Tuesday night and she made it all the way through, but it took me nearly 3 hours. Partially because some groups that I caught up with wouldn't wait for me to catch up until 3 holes later, but mostly because she was having a good time running around and playing in the grass, and I can't blame her for that since she doesn't have that kind of freedom at our townhouse.
BTW, what type of pup?

My advice would be to extend that sit/stay to any time the bag is down. This will make your life much easier throughout the round (especially when you get to the point of less training and more playing) and give her the consistency that is needed for her to understand the ground rules.

When the bag is up, however, leave her be. I use a flexi lead to give some freedom and unless my pup is pulling (not allowed) I totally let him be when the bag is up. This is his 'free time' to run, sniff, etc.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 185
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradus View Post
One last post on this topic.

Here's a good web forum example from lab-retriever.net, where I learned a lot of information early on for my dog. ALL types of members that cover the spectrum from dog trainers, to overly extreme rescue people to new dog owners. Like any forum - good and bad advice.

Not a single poster there is as extreme as your opinion on e-collars. Your opinion was common there at one time, but not anymore.

A good summary from this thread.
http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/t...ar-recall.html

From one of the more respected trainers on the forum:
im not denying that fear is a good tactic. that doesnt change the fact that bad trainers have to use things like fear and food to teach their dogs what someone with a calm dominant demeanor can do without using fear and treats in the same or shorter time frame. frame of mind > fear and treats.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 43
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General BP View Post
Only reason I'd say to wait is that your puppy isn't fully vaccinated yet. I'm no expert but I believe 16 weeks is the age where they can safely go out to public places. You wouldn't want to risk her picking up a disease at the course that could've been prevented by waiting.
This is a good point. I think it's primarily the 3 rounds of Parvo shots that you're worried about. You should call and ask your vet.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got my dog when she was 5 weeks old, she's now 5 years old. She is a american bulldog mix. I take her everywhere with me. Never had a problem with her on the course, even though she loves catching frisbee. She quickly learned the difference between her toys and my discs, i only started playing 2 months ago. I never leash her, and always pick up after her. She carriesher own water in her pack and I let her drag around one of her frisbees I'll throw every once in awhile. she mostly just chills out and tries to find a shady spot when I'm throwing.

My advice is not to worry so much on getting her "trained" just get her comfortable on the course, and over time she's going to learn what is and isn't acceptable, she is only a pup after all.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:07 PM
Banned

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

im going to vote: keep your dog off the course.

do you see dogs on golf courses, basketball courts, or in public swimming pools? no.

yes we all know you love your dog, but we do not love your dog. this game involves picking things up off the ground, no matter how well you think you cleaned up the ****, its still there. and if yer dog bites my disc i hope you have a $20 ready.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 21
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
im going to vote: keep your dog off the course.

do you see dogs on golf courses, basketball courts, or in public swimming pools? no.

yes we all know you love your dog, but we do not love your dog. this game involves picking things up off the ground, no matter how well you think you cleaned up the ****, its still there. and if yer dog bites my disc i hope you have a $20 ready.
I've meet a lot more people I wish were not on the disc golf course than dogs. Kids, friends, dogs, goats, whatever. As long as they are not creating a disturbance, it's fine.

And if you're worried about some left over dog poop I've got some bad news for. There are a lot more things that $h#t in the woods besides a dog.

Not to mention the rotting animal carcasses I've ran across as well as other vile and nasty stuff I would never stick my hand in and would not be happy to have my disc fall into.

And if my dog damages your property of course I'll be responsible for it and pay for any damages.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 27.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 127 Times in 66 Posts

You can put me in the dog-free course camp. I love dogs but am not a fan of oblivious owners who think their dog is awesome and wants to share it with the world. Dogs running around off leash while the owner yells for it to "get over here" while I'm trying to putt is grounds for a glove slap and challenge to a dual.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 40
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm glad I don't have a dog in this fight...

Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 206
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 388 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
You can put me in the dog-free course camp. I love dogs but am not a fan of oblivious owners who think their dog is awesome and wants to share it with the world. Dogs running around off leash while the owner yells for it to "get over here" while I'm trying to putt is grounds for a glove slap and challenge to a dual.
A dual what? Putt?