Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Disc Golf Courses

Old 11-29-2021, 09:46 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 42
Niced 834 Times in 291 Posts

If I was on a roadtrip and I saw this KOA had a basket and another didn't I would easily pick this one.

I mean, I would probably have my own portable but I would choose the DG friendly campground first.

Jurks.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2021, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,323 Times in 579 Posts

Not all practice areas are created equal. I didn't review it, but Liberty Christian Fellowship in Cumberland, MD, has a lot more space to practice on than the course in the op. It really is a practice area and not a putting area. We actually had a small league there for a couple years using a 9 hole layout I created since there were no actual courses in Cumberland.

This thread actually makes me want to review it.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6917

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Jimb; 11-29-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 700
Niced 3,773 Times in 2,008 Posts

i love gettin a round in before i stop at the liquor store

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10800

Old 11-29-2021, 10:39 PM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 92
Niced 89 Times in 27 Posts

I will probably regret this post. But I don't really understand the controversy.

Yes we are on Disc Golf COURSE Review. However! We all know this site also has other DG-related features - including disc shops, profile pages, and most significantly this forum.

I don't mind practice baskets being listed on this site *and categorized separately as practice areas*, which they already are.

I agree with what I think the OP may be getting at...I don't know that standalone practice areas need reviews. It seems to me that a description on the course info page and a couple of photos might be enough. On the other hand, if practice area reviews are allowed as they currently are, that doesn't bother me either. Just like a course review, I would read a practice area review and look at the rating, but mainly look at the description in the review to make a determination on whether to go play. And sure if there are courses with practice areas on site nearby, I'm probably picking that 10 times out of 10.

If I played a practice area and bothered to review it, personally I would review it in the context of it being a practice area and not a course. Of course a practice area is a terrible "course". Everyone agrees on that, I think? But there are still a couple things to like or dislike about it, in my view. Is the basket(s) in good shape? Is it on a hillside? Is the entire circle 1 and circle 2 clear, as the review in question answers? Are there trees or obstacles in the practice area? I personally like it when there are trees in a practice area, which I have seen a couple times at courses (Flip City comes to mind). It gives me an opportunity to practice putting around them like I will have to on a good course.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:42 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 42
Niced 834 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Not all practice areas are created equal. I didn't review it, but Liberty Christian Fellowship in Cumberland, MD, has a lot more space to practice on than the course in the op. It really is a practice area and not a putting area. We actually had a small league there for a couple years using a 9 hole layout I created since there were no actual courses in Cumberland.

This thread actually makes me want to review it.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6917
Was "one basket" not clear enough for you?

Old 11-29-2021, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrah View Post
I will probably regret this post. But I don't really understand the controversy.

Yes we are on Disc Golf COURSE Review. However! We all know this site also has other DG-related features - including disc shops, profile pages, and most significantly this forum.

I don't mind practice baskets being listed on this site *and categorized separately as practice areas*, which they already are.

I agree with what I think the OP may be getting at...I don't know that standalone practice areas need reviews. It seems to me that a description on the course info page and a couple of photos might be enough. On the other hand, if practice area reviews are allowed as they currently are, that doesn't bother me either. Just like a course review, I would read a practice area review and look at the rating, but mainly look at the description in the review to make a determination on whether to go play. And sure if there are courses with practice areas on site nearby, I'm probably picking that 10 times out of 10.

If I played a practice area and bothered to review it, personally I would review it in the context of it being a practice area and not a course. Of course a practice area is a terrible "course". Everyone agrees on that, I think? But there are still a couple things to like or dislike about it, in my view. Is the basket(s) in good shape? Is it on a hillside? Is the entire circle 1 and circle 2 clear, as the review in question answers? Are there trees or obstacles in the practice area? I personally like it when there are trees in a practice area, which I have seen a couple times at courses (Flip City comes to mind). It gives me an opportunity to practice putting around them like I will have to on a good course.
not all practice areas are created equal

i would rather choose some practice areas than other ones

and of course i would rather choose a "real" course over a "practice" one

i would be interested if anyone had an example of a "practice area" that is better than a "real" course

Niced: (2)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:36 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.1
Courses Played: 142
Niced 5,892 Times in 1,981 Posts

This is going to be a really long winter I guess...

Old 11-30-2021, 12:24 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 47.7
Courses Played: 474
Niced 3,300 Times in 1,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
not all practice areas are created equal

i would rather choose some practice areas than other ones

and of course i would rather choose a "real" course over a "practice" one

i would be interested if anyone had an example of a "practice area" that is better than a "real" course

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8339 (RIP) or
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6119 for a live one, vs.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5590.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

holy crap youre right

even that cascade 9 up on the north shore is god awful and i would rather throw back and forth from two practice baskets

you right i just had to think harder thanks steve

Old 12-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 175
Niced 526 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
1 basket and 11 forty-foot tee markers?
Dreadlock for the win!