Old 06-20-2021, 10:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 717 Times in 347 Posts

I wonder how long the sponsored players will be allowed to throw their PD2s, FDs, P2s, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2021, 11:00 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 582 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
When this discussion has come up before the number $20k for the mold pieces seems to come up pretty frequently.
I’m confused as heck here.

Trash Panda has had multiple injection molds made, I think 4 total before he worked out all of his design spec mistakes, for his DIY disc making project. They were in the range of hundreds of dollars to make. I realize there is always a difference between a truly industrial quality build and DIY build, but 20 to 40 times the price? What exactly is making a single mold so expensive?
Old 06-21-2021, 03:54 AM
Par Member

Niced 40 Times in 25 Posts

My guess is Jussi exits dg, ventures into cryptocurrency and announces initial coin offering. a nEw eRA BEGIns
Old 06-21-2021, 08:01 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 120
Niced 249 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
The Exodus is not the FD mold, it is the Eagle-L mold
Yep, they are identical in comparison, as for the FD, if Infinite wanted to move a few thousand units overnight, have Innova mold up the old FD, call it whatever ancient Egyptian name the pick out of a hat and put them up for sale, probably when there's a lull in other new releases. They'd need not make mention of what mold it is, between here, reddit and facebook that would be made general knowledge in less than 24 hours.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 51
Niced 224 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Im confused as heck here.

Trash Panda has had multiple injection molds made, I think 4 total before he worked out all of his design spec mistakes, for his DIY disc making project. They were in the range of hundreds of dollars to make. I realize there is always a difference between a truly industrial quality build and DIY build, but 20 to 40 times the price? What exactly is making a single mold so expensive?
Honestly, Id believe a couple thousand dollars over 10-20k. I dont have experience in injection molding, but I buy tooling at my job for continuous extrusion. It all depends on the machine shop and where youre shopping. Disc molds are also pretty simple, relatively speaking, so the buddy could be quoting something a lot more complex than that.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:56 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 26.6
Courses Played: 141
Niced 4,866 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastnav View Post
Im confused as heck here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberry2017 View Post
Honestly, Id believe a couple thousand dollars over 10-20k. I dont have experience in injection molding, but I buy tooling at my job for continuous extrusion. It all depends on the machine shop and where youre shopping. Disc molds are also pretty simple, relatively speaking, so the buddy could be quoting something a lot more complex than that.
I know nothing about this, which isn't going to stop me from speculating...

When QuestAT jumped into disc golf, Gateway briefly partnered with them and QuestAT ended up molding a couple of drivers for them. What I was told was that QuestAT was using cheap aluminum molds that cost a fraction of what the molds the other companies used, but they were going to have to replace these molds frequently because the aluminum wouldn't stand up to the heat and were going to quickly wear out.

That info seemed to play out. QuestAT never had a Champion-type plastic and I was told that was because the molds they used couldn't withstand it. The Inferno after a very short time was a different mold as it seems the original mold wore out. QuestAT was able to get into disc golf and have a variety of discs quickly, but in short order they were looking a replacing a lot of equipment.

So I'm thinking you CAN create a mold a lot more cheaply than say Innova or Discraft is going to spend. If you are going to do a very low-volume business, it's prolly the way to go. If you are Discmania and expecting to move significant amounts of product, it would be a short-sighted move.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2021, 09:02 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 350
Niced 6,923 Times in 2,827 Posts

*further speculating on Three Putt's speculation*

...especially if the cheaper, aluminum molds can't withstand the heat required for premium plastics.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:14 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 51
Niced 224 Times in 147 Posts

Yeah, you’re going to get into heat treating, which makes the molds stronger and able to stand up longer, but that also ups the $$$ invested because it’s another process for the mold AND heat treating itself is expensive and I think requires higher quality steel. I’ll have to ask our machine shop guy next time I see him and see what he thinks.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:40 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 2,173 Times in 1,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandelius View Post
My guess is Jussi exits dg, ventures into cryptocurrency and announces initial coin offering. a nEw eRA BEGIns
Discoin is the new thing, laxer eyes for everyone.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 201
Niced 351 Times in 147 Posts

T-minus 5 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7Bw7AIIsU