Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 55 Times in 29 Posts

So I'm reiterating what others have said already on this thread, but I wanted to because it was really valuable for me.

Practice making putts. Don't practice missing putts.
Practice at a range that you don't/very rarely miss at, even if it is 2m, and AS you improve THEN slowly move outwards.
Confidence is built by having made many 100s/1000s of successful putts.

I've only been playing a year and a half, and early on when I was looking at how to putt I came across these two things (below). They have really helped me. And the main thing I have got out of them is that when I am out on a course, I don't have negative feelings around putting. I'm not saying I'm great, but I'm solid enough within my (short) range and if I miss, I don't get bent out of shape. And I put that down to the principals and concepts in the article and video below.

This article https://www.vorticasport.com/single-...icing-Properly (it does lay on the "inner a**hole" concept a bit thick though, skim read that bit)

And this video of Mark Ellis' Confidence Program shares some of the same ideas https://youtu.be/eq_bh_GtjtQ It is a program of doing 2 short practice sessions a day for 30 days.

Have a read & watch and see what you think. And tied in to this, I don't think anyone's putting can really IMPROVE with just sporadic, from time to time, practice sessions. Or just with putting during a round. It might be enough to maintain a level of putting proficiency, but it won't advance you. I think one needs to practice regularly. Every week?

And I really like short practice sessions. The article recommends 15 mins max sessions, multiple sessions in a day is fine, but no more than 15 mins at anyone time. Pretty sure the video does this as well. I really like the short sessions, putting is a precision activity, requiring focused attention, stopping before your brain tires and you attention wanders is great. And stopping before your finer motor control in your muscles tires as well.

For me confidence is a lack of anxiety around the activity, (including a lack of fear of a negative outcomes) and feeling comfortable in the situation.

Also I don't think keeping stats of putting is your friend if you are dealing with confidence issues. Too easy to get lost in the noise, it is like if you buy shares as a long term investment - if you watch your share price every hour of everyday it's going to go up and down loads and your feelings (confidence) will go up and down with every minor change and it bears no relevance to what the price will be when you come to sell the shares in five years time.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.8
Courses Played: 94
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 394 Times in 162 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Short practice sessions is a very good thing to do, imo.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:18 AM
Missourian

If you are 5-10 over on you local course and miss that many putts you have a decently solid game overall. Others have said it better and more detailed, but battle is between the ears.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:39 PM

Years Playing: 1.9
Niced 11 Times in 4 Posts

One more thing to add that might be mechanical and not mental: try releasing earlier. Like think about releasing closer to the middle of the stroke instead of at the end of it, but continue the full stroke and follow through with your arm. A lot of people hold onto the disc too long and it makes it really hard to get it to go in a straight line or get any power/spin on the discs.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 482 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Short practice sessions is a very good thing to do, imo.
Definitely. A local pro told me, once you start consistently missing putts, then it's time to stop putting practice otherwise you're just teaching yourself how to miss.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 15
Niced 331 Times in 222 Posts

I agree. I found my putting has improved since I started shorter practice sessions. I read once that 20 minutes is about the magic amount of practice time for playing bass, and decided to apply that to putting. I go out for 15-20 minutes or so, and just putt around. Random lies, stupid short, couple 40’ lies, and it has been working.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 469 Times in 368 Posts

Putting is the one aspect of DG that keeps me from being really good at the game. I can throw drivers and mids very well, and accurately. I can throw sidearm and I'm good w/ upshots. Putting is absolutely an achilles heel. Some days I actually will putt well, and the score will reflect that. Other days I'll clank every make-able putt I see. I can be red hot putting, or ICE cold.

Putting is one of those things I admittedly don't put enough practice into. What I honestly need to do to get better is to grab stack of putters and put some work in.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 469 Times in 368 Posts

I also agree with the "fluffing" comment. That seems to be what I do the most. Its like I'm afraid of the disc going way past the basket or rolling away if/when I miss the putt that I don't put enough energy into the putt. Most of my misses are short and underthrown.

Lately I've tried to put more effort into putting assertively and not leaving them weakly short. My putting is still middling at best, but at least I don't miss as many short of the basket anymore.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.6
Courses Played: 23
Niced 76 Times in 45 Posts

Ned Overend is a professional mountain bike racer who is known for his climbing prowess. His advice, that stuck with me to this day, is simple...always tell yourself that "You are good at climbing, and you enjoy it". I sucked at climbing until I got into this mantra, and then loved burying competitors on the climbs.

The mental aspect of anything can't be overstated. Remember..."You're good at putting, and you enjoy it"!

And never get angry with yourself when you miss, otherwise you associate that emotion with putting, and you've already lost.

Niced: (3)