#51  
Old 10-02-2015, 01:30 PM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 124
Posts: 13,938
Niced 1,718 Times in 830 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Wow! great conspiracy theory's on who gets an NT. It is my understanding that it is in the best interests of the PDGA to have as many NT events as possible. They don't randomly exclude to make it seem like there is some selective process going on. They have a set of standards that have to be met. Those standards are plenty, and some TDs decide they can put on a great event without the extra work and headache. I'd have to wonder whether those that got left off chose not to take on the task before I assumed that the PDGA rejected them.
From a fairly reliable source:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
The GMC applied to be an NT, and the Ledgestone did as well.
I think I missed the conspiracy theories. I, for one, don't question that there are standards, and factors I'm unaware of. In fact, that's all I'm saying--that there must be factors I'm unaware of.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-02-2015, 02:58 PM
JohtoVillage JohtoVillage is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 383
Niced 44 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Seems to be a lot of bad information going on around here.

The PDGA wants to limit the NT schedule to around 7 events and they are pretty firm in that. There was a perfect spot to have the GMC as an NT two weeks after Hambrick but it didn't work out. There were 8 NT's in 2014, 7 in 2015 and there will be 7 in 2016. The KCWO, HOF Classic and BMHO are tournaments that are on the every other year basis for NT right now. Memorial, MHO and Master's Cup are on the every year schedule right now, along with BSF.

Looks like GBO was added to the every year schedule as well. Other random tournaments have been granted NT status for different reasons, such as Rochester for their 40th anniversary, Steliacom because it was a few hours from the Worlds location the following weekend, etc.

Quote:
This is probably why Nate isn't up in arms. he said something about respecting the backstory... I wonder if they gave him a choice weekend for an A tier?
I petitioned the PDGA to have the Ledgestone be an NT for 2016 and it didn't work out. Even though I was frustrated with how it went down, I respect the PDGA and the process enough not to air all of the details. They did not ask me for my dates for an A Tier up front and I have not submitted those dates yet so I did not receive any preferential treatment.

Quote:
Wow! great conspiracy theory's on who gets an NT. It is my understanding that it is in the best interests of the PDGA to have as many NT events as possible. They don't randomly exclude to make it seem like there is some selective process going on. They have a set of standards that have to be met. Those standards are plenty, and some TDs decide they can put on a great event without the extra work and headache. I'd have to wonder whether those that got left off chose not to take on the task before I assumed that the PDGA rejected them.
As stated, the GMC pushed hard to be an NT for next year. The Nick Hyde Memorial also pushed hard to be an NT. Obviously both of those events were rejected. The PDGA wants to have one NT per region every year, and their goal is to have 2 quality events per region that can alternate in and out every other year. Obviously some NT's dominate their region (MHO, Memorial, etc) and probably will continue to do so.

I was surprised at GBO getting NT status again with worlds coming to Emporia a few months later but DD is doing some good things with the GBO. It also sounds like Worlds is going to see some pretty massive changes for 2016. It will definitely make some people mad if the proposed changes go through but that's how it goes!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-02-2015, 03:13 PM
steveganz's Avatar
steveganz steveganz is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Leesburg, VA
Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 38
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The Green Mountain Championship indicated an interest in, but never officially applied for, National Tour status in 2016. The Ledgestone Insurance Open did officially apply for NT status in 2016, but were told before they applied for NT status in 2015 that they would need to alternate years with the Brent Hambrick Memorial Open.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-02-2015, 04:40 PM
TalbotTrojan's Avatar
TalbotTrojan TalbotTrojan is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO
Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,432
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
I was surprised at GBO getting NT status again with worlds coming to Emporia a few months later but DD is doing some good things with the GBO. It also sounds like Worlds is going to see some pretty massive changes for 2016. It will definitely make some people mad if the proposed changes go through but that's how it goes!
I can understand some surprise with GBO getting NT status. BSF was not an NT the year they also hosted worlds. Dynamic runs some of the best tournaments around. When they first ran Am Worlds everyone with PDGA was saying how easy their life was that week and how it was the best run worlds event ever. With the success of last year's GBO, I am not at all surprised that when Rusco said please, the PDGA said okay.

As for changes to worlds, I am in great anticipation. I fear the worst for myself as I would hate to miss out on such a fun event to be a part of. I have plenty of points to qualify, bit I have heard the rumors of changing the registration process. Personally I think they should make pro worlds resemble Am Worlds and just let more people in.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 PM
phrumphkin's Avatar
phrumphkin phrumphkin is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: north CA
Posts: 155
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohtoVillage View Post
I petitioned the PDGA to have the Ledgestone be an NT for 2016 and it didn't work out. Even though I was frustrated with how it went down, I respect the PDGA and the process enough not to air all of the details. They did not ask me for my dates for an A Tier up front and I have not submitted those dates yet so I did not receive any preferential treatment.
What if we in CA forfeit the NT on the masters cup to give ledgestone NT status? Your event pays better and deserves it even more on account of the insane amount of work you did to raise things to the next level -- cool?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 PM
MikeK MikeK is offline
Supreme Disc Golf Authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 276
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 253
Niced 55 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Nate you are "truly" a class act

Thanks for your patience with the PDGA! If I'm reading between the lines it looks like LO will be NT in 2017 at least? I think the sport can survive the setback of this year's LO omission.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-02-2015, 07:25 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,416
Niced 1,594 Times in 677 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Nate you are "truly" a class act

Thanks for your patience with the PDGA! If I'm reading between the lines it looks like LO will be NT in 2017 at least? I think the sport can survive the setback of this year's LO omission.
Particularly since (I assume) the LO is still going to happen as an A-tier. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as I can tell, the only real difference between being an A-tier and being an NT is a smidge more drawing power for the elite players (because of the series points) and on-the-ground support from the PDGA staff. If the Ledgestone runs the exact same event with even 50% of the added cash they had this year (and I imagine they can do that without too much trouble), it's still going to be a HUGE draw for players of all skill levels. Doubtful attendance takes a hit at all.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-03-2015, 11:29 AM
scarpfish's Avatar
scarpfish scarpfish is offline
Resident Grouch
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brownbackistan
Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 350
Posts: 7,991
Niced 387 Times in 153 Posts
Default

I am curious, what support does an NT get versus a standard A tier event? Does the PDGA throw in some extra cash or something? I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-03-2015, 11:45 AM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,416
Niced 1,594 Times in 677 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I am curious, what support does an NT get versus a standard A tier event? Does the PDGA throw in some extra cash or something? I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.
Like I said, it's mostly "on the ground" support. The PDGA sends staffers to NTs. Sometimes it's Downes, sometimes Sweeton, most of the time Gregwah, sometimes a combination of the three. With them usually comes the PDGA trailer with the big circus tent and other support materials.

A-tiers are pretty much on their own in the same way B and C-tier events are.
Reply With Quote
 

  #60  
Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 PM
JohtoVillage JohtoVillage is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 383
Niced 44 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
What if we in CA forfeit the NT on the masters cup to give ledgestone NT status? Your event pays better and deserves it even more on account of the insane amount of work you did to raise things to the next level -- cool?
The Master's Cup is a great event and I don't think anyone needs to give up NT status for our event. But thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
As for changes to worlds, I am in great anticipation. I fear the worst for myself as I would hate to miss out on such a fun event to be a part of. I have plenty of points to qualify, bit I have heard the rumors of changing the registration process. Personally I think they should make pro worlds resemble Am Worlds and just let more people in.
I would say there's a 95% chance less people will be playing Pro World's next year.

Quote:
I am curious, what support does an NT get versus a standard A tier event? Does the PDGA throw in some extra cash or something? I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.
The PDGA also gives a $1000 stipend to NT events. I know for most NT events its not a huge deal, but for some its a nice little thing. For my event it was less than .5% of our budget, but I imagine for some events it could be 5 to 10%. The on the ground support also includes the PDGA tent, PDGA resources (smaller tents, feather flags, sound systems, crowd control devices, etc). It is definitely beneficial to have them at the event. Marty does a phenomenal job with media as well.

Quote:
I think its curious that we used to have 10-11 of these events annually, and now there are only 7.
I can't confirm this, but I can't find that we have ever had that many NT events. I think we have only ever had 8 NT events and a few years we had 4 or 5. I could be wrong though.

Quote:
Thanks for your patience with the PDGA! If I'm reading between the lines it looks like LO will be NT in 2017 at least? I think the sport can survive the setback of this year's LO omission.
Quote:
Particularly since (I assume) the LO is still going to happen as an A-tier. Nothing wrong with that.
We should have an announcement in a few weeks on plans for next year. Something is in the works..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.