Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
ADD STUFF IN THE CIRCLE! Putt through 2 trees... Putt around a tree with a big anny putt... make that putt and you feel like you've accomplished something.

When I make a 40' putt I just think - finally, i threw one straight. When I make an anny putt I think - That was AWESOME - Did anyone SEE that!?

This is by far the best suggestion I have heard yet for making putting more intriguing to watch. Better design in general is the way to go in my opinion.

For a World's format that offers the possibility of hosting with fewer courses will we also potentially see a host who uses only temp courses? This could be interesting as you might see a parks department give premium land for temporary use for the event because it is the world championships and you end up with a couple courses that have not been limited by the use of limited land.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

A couple suggestions for making putting more difficult/exciting:

-A basket that is cut in half vertically so you can only putt on one side. This would require you to at least set your shot up better.
-Baskets with like four vertical pipes extending from the cage to the top of the basket. This would give putting a feeling more like a basketball shot: if you do it perfectly it will go in, but if you catch the rim you can still get lucky.
-A different class of disc that is required for holing out after the first shot. Bigger, smaller, heavier?
-Opposite of an island green: If a disc is within x meters of the basket it is OB.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 99
Niced 67 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf5083 View Post

-A basket that is cut in half vertically so you can only putt on one side. This would require you to at least set your shot up better.
-Baskets with like four vertical pipes extending from the cage to the top of the basket. This would give putting a feeling more like a basketball shot: if you do it perfectly it will go in, but if you catch the rim you can still get lucky.
-A different class of disc that is required for holing out after the first shot. Bigger, smaller, heavier?
-Opposite of an island green: If a disc is within x meters of the basket it is OB.
1. I like it, but a couple trees right next to the basket do the same thing. I mean RIGHT next to it.
- It was mentioned that the baskets wouldn't need to be modified, which I agree with. Baskets are designed to catch our disc golf discs by their size, shape, etc. I'm not in favor of modified equipment for pros. When you watch pro sports - hockey, basketball, the kids in the park and on the pond play with the same hockey goal, same height hoop.
2. like this

"Hole #1 Basket: Spins with a motor and has the Tiki Man to block your shot"
3. outside the box, which i like, but maybe a bigger rules change than you want...
- Do aces with "normal" discs count, or can I putt with a "regular" putter outside a certain circle, or are putters banned? then I'd putt a mako3
4. Fun. I'm good with this on a limited but useful basis. Maybe even like this better than just elevating a basket on wide open level ground to add 0.25 stroke average.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:01 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 99
Niced 67 Times in 37 Posts

oops, sorry for ruining the page width for your viewing displeasure.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 89 Times in 41 Posts

I've always liked the idea of obstacles on the green myself. It could be a couple of trees, bushes, or whatever. I don't mind sloped greens either. That's what makes putting in ball golf difficult, you just don't putt straight at the hole every time. That also helps force a particular line on the previous shot. The easier line to the bucket might leave a more difficult putt whereas the tougher line might yield a much easier look.

To go hand in hand with that I wouldn't mind seeing the circle expanded to maybe 15 or 20 meters.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 52
Niced 899 Times in 532 Posts

Make mcbeth putt left handed off his right leg, or blindfolded. The rest aren't as consistent as him so they can putt normally...
Old 11-25-2015, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.7
Courses Played: 124
Niced 958 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf5083 View Post

This would result in just laying up, because almost any missed putt is going to carry a 2-stroke penalty. No one's going for anything but a sure thing, because even 5' past the basket is an impossible shot.

And the layups from the bad side would be particularly boring.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of obstacles on one side, but not the other, you reward placement of the approach shot (or drive), and at the same time, allow for a brilliant save through the trees, or whatever, from the bad side.

Alas, twisting putts through trees is both exciting, and tough to video.

I'm of the camp that if you want to make putting more exciting to watch, you can (1) change the rules, (2) change the target, or (3) change the course design---and my vote would be for #3.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 93
Niced 404 Times in 219 Posts

Other than "to be more like golf" can anyone give a reason putting needs to be made relatively more difficult? Disc golf is growing in leaps and bounds- why fix what ain't broke? (other than because that is what we do on the interwebz)
Old 11-25-2015, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 124
Niced 958 Times in 483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Other than "to be more like golf" can anyone give a reason putting needs to be made relatively more difficult? Disc golf is growing in leaps and bounds- why fix what ain't broke? (other than because that is what we do on the interwebz)
The theory is to make it more exciting---to get away from the boring, high-percentage-made putts. More exciting for players, more for theoretical spectators.

The trick is doing so without resulting in boring lay-ups from further out.

Though I'd agree with the notion that it's not a compelling issue. It ain't broke. It might be improved, though.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 93
Niced 404 Times in 219 Posts

There are going to be "tap ins" from one distance or another regardless of any tweaks, just as there are in golf. Attempting to make the "tap in" distance shorter will undoubtedly reduce the number of longer shots which go in which are in actuality the truly exciting shots. (see sportscenter)