Old 11-25-2015, 10:49 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 668
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 912 Times in 464 Posts

If a change results in fewer long putts made and more 2-putts, it won't be better for scoring spread and will likely be less interesting to watch than it already is. I believe the key is to figure out a change that doesn't make come-backers automatic. It raises the drama and increases scoring spread. One of the traits in ball golf putting that makes it more interesting is a missed long putt going past the hole even 2-3 feet is not an automatic come-backer. If we can figure out how to emulate that uncertainty, it might be a worthwhile change.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2015, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 143
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,019 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Other than "to be more like golf" can anyone give a reason putting needs to be made relatively more difficult? Disc golf is growing in leaps and bounds- why fix what ain't broke? (other than because that is what we do on the interwebz)
I don't think anything is "broke" necessarily. I'm an advocate of making putting more challenging (be it in design of the target or in course design in general) in pursuit of creating courses that challenge players more. As it is, the trend in our game has been to make the courses longer and the baskets better at catching everything (more chains, tighter configurations, etc). I think it's taking some of the finesse and control from the game as long courses with better catching baskets really only rewards throwing hard...throw a drive hard and far, throw a putter hard and fast at the target. To me, in a lot of respects, the game is getting more boring to watch at the high levels, not more fun.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 99
Niced 160 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
On the other hand, if you have a lot of obstacles on one side, but not the other, you reward placement of the approach shot (or drive), and at the same time, allow for a brilliant save through the trees, or whatever, from the bad side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If a change results in fewer long putts made and more 2-putts, it won't be better for scoring spread and will likely be less interesting to watch than it already is. I believe the key is to figure out a change that doesn't make come-backers automatic. It raises the drama and increases scoring spread. One of the traits in ball golf putting that makes it more interesting is a missed long putt going past the hole even 2-3 feet is not an automatic come-backer. If we can figure out how to emulate that uncertainty, it might be a worthwhile change.
The "Ball Golf" has done the same thing over the years, shaving the greens shorter and shorter, now they're basically putting on glass and that miss is that much longer. And if there's a break near the hole... could be a really long come backer - risk/reward

I don't know that all shots from the 'bad side' would result in a layup, depending on the distance from the basket and the obstacle. From an ultimate player's perspective, I have a release point that is maybe 5-6' on either side of my pivot foot maybe 10-12' wide total, from fully extended forehand to a fully extended backhand. couple that with a bending putt, you can bend around a tree that's pretty close to the basket and have a chance. I would love to see some putting pros be challenged by something more than ever increasing distance.

I still remember watching Ricky nail a long putt with water behind, I think at Maple Hill? That hole that shoots over the water downhill to a basket right on the shore. That's a huge risk/reward pin position talking about baskets with OB next to it.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 433 Times in 261 Posts

One of the toughest holes in my area is a flat open short par three...set at the edge of very steep 20ft bank that ends in an OB road. Overthrow and you are OB. An aggressive missed putts is OB. A missed putt might stay inbound but down the hill....and that combacker is tough.
Unfortunately, most holes don't have the perfect terrain for that type of placement.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 118
Niced 216 Times in 102 Posts

If you land within 10m of the basket, you can't advance until you make your putt. Keep putting from the same spot with no penalties.

Missed putts from within 10m require pushups.

A "no landing" zone within tap-in range. Any close lies have to be pulled backward to 20'.

Adding slides/funnels to the outside of the basket. If you chain out, your disc slides/is rolled to at least 15' away.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 99
Niced 160 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
I still remember watching Ricky nail a long putt with water behind, I think at Maple Hill? That hole that shoots over the water downhill to a basket right on the shore. That's a huge risk/reward pin position talking about baskets with OB next to it.
And Disc Golf Pro Tour just released a promo spot featuring this exact shot. Awesome!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 19
Niced 433 Times in 261 Posts

I like the idea of a 5 meter bunker rule.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 37
Niced 182 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I like the idea of a 5 meter bunker rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
A "no landing" zone within tap-in range. Any close lies have to be pulled backward to 20'.
I thought my idea was going to be creative, knew I should have posted last night.

I was going to say any throw, not off the tee, that lands in the circle, is played like a hazard. 1 short penalty, play from where it lies.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 112
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post

I agree with this in theory. I still think the practical way to carry it out is not a mandated bunker rule or pulling putts out to 20' no matter how close you are. That is simply punishment for a good previous shot. The solution is simply better course design that puts more challenge on the green. Obstacles inside the circle or putting baskets on slopes are where it is at to make things more exciting. If you are going to change the rules at all, the only rule that might be worth changing is expanding the 10 meter circle but even in doing that you are taking away the possible excitement of a made putt. Making the circle smaller wouldn't accomplish anything as pros are generally poficient at putts inside the circle when there are no obstacles.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:03 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 668
Niced 912 Times in 464 Posts

Any solution just relying on better landscaping around the green will be insufficient. Better landscaping/terrain is already a no-brainer where it can be done and is being done. Note that it still doesn't seem to make putting more interesting to watch and sufficiently increase scoring spreads.

The ideal solution(s) should include elements that can be implemented on a temporary basis even on flat, open terrain consistently on every hole and not necessarily make things tougher for Ams playing the same course at the same time. If it also works as a permanent setup on a course, even better. And of course, the holy grail would be that it makes putting more interesting and dramatic to watch.

It's a tall order to meet all of those criteria. Just one tweak may not be enough and could require a combination of ideas. BTW, some version of a few ideas posted in the last dozen posts have already been percolating with the GDT. Keep tossing them out there even if it only addresses part of a more complete solution.