Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Do you throw an autographed disc?

So I just picked myself up a sweet metal flaked team keen mamba from Val Jenkins.

I bought it because I thought it looked sweet, it would fill a good hole in the bag and the charity aspect sounded great.

I did not process the fact that both Val and Nate would be giving it the sharpie treatment.

So long story short, do you throw discs that have been autographed for one reason or another? Part of me likes the idea of keeping it pristine, but I am used to giving every piece of plastic that enters my world at least a few good rounds.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2015, 09:52 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 134
Niced 711 Times in 509 Posts

signatures in general don't tend to add tons of value to a disc like a LE run does but keep in mind using it might damage the "cool" factor to the disc. Can always get a mamba to throw seems like something I would keep around to show off one way or another but also makes sense if you wanted to throw it being discs are made to fly
Old 10-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 77 Times in 58 Posts

Two things:

1) I would throw it, and I wouldnt be asking others if its ok. To me, discs are meant to be thrown. I get the collectible aspect of it, but its not for me. I play disc golf.

2) If you have to ask, that means you're going to do one of two things. You'll either decide not to throw it and maybe buy another Mamba, or you'll throw it for a little while, the signatures will fade, and you will regret ever throwing it. I say save yourself the heartache and just buy another mamba.

Could always draw a penis on it to rid yourself of the "cool factor". Then theres nothing to worry about.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 11
Niced 26 Times in 17 Posts

Depends on what you want the perceived value to be/stay at for the time you own this disc?

I say if you plan to keep it, throw it and enjoy it! Put a few rounds in it and hang on the wall!

I don't really care about the whole"autograph" deal in general, I can take it or leave it. I would rather meet someone and grab a pic with them. I have a few autographed books but I don't think that makes them worth mega $$$.

I have gotten stuff signed for the bike shop I work at to put up in the store but not for me personally.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 299 Times in 237 Posts

If you value the sigs, just don't throw it and buy a Mamba. There are usually a few in the marketplace forums.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.8
Courses Played: 222
Niced 420 Times in 204 Posts

If I went to the trouble to get a disc with a signature, I would hang it as art.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 172
Niced 217 Times in 124 Posts

Discs are for either throwing or greedily hoarding with the intention of eventually throwing.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:08 AM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just met the Yeti himself last weekend. Got two discs from him. One of his wooden Yeti Aviars (28/50) which I got him to sign, and another one of his custom stamped Yeti Aviars which he also signed. I throw the custom stamped Yeti with his signature as my main putter, hoping it brings me some good vibes. The wooden Aviar is staying on my shelf. That disc is so damn pretty I couldn't bring myself to throw it in the first place. Even gave me a personalized phrase which I relay back to my friends when I'm playing a round with them, "Mike Go Ching!"
Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 20
Niced 33 Times in 26 Posts

I had an old ROC that was beat to hell I got about 10 pro's to sign at an A Tier earlier this year, that's up on my wall in the closet but mostly because it's so understable and beat now that it did me no good keeping it in my bag, it was taking the place of my Meteor, serving double duty. I also have a Wysocki signed Havoc I throw as my main driver. He signed it after we got partnered up for dubs at a mini.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 49
Niced 307 Times in 209 Posts

If Nate signed it, it will obviously fly better than any other Mamba. Huck it.