Old 09-20-2018, 06:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
Why not just let third party platforms like udisc run rating systems and rankings? they do a great job tracking way more stats than the PDGA anyways, and even scoring... Then make PDGA memberships cheaper.
Yes!

I've been saying this for a while.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 71 Times in 40 Posts

Another thing that I've been thinking about for a while regarding toward the PDGA non-member fee is division.

I think that if a player doesn't have an active membership that they should only be allowed to play in specific divisions. Like some kind of special non-payout division or Open or Rec.

That way you don't have someone bagging in a division they don't belong in because they didn't pay their dues this year. It would also make TD's job a bit easier, since all non-members would have to play in a certain place.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:21 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 29.7
Courses Played: 668
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 945 Times in 480 Posts

The TD can require a nonmember to enter Advanced or Open if they want to play but some TDs don't like to be gatekeepers and will let a nonmember, perhaps their friend, enter a division below where they should play. Non-current members have a rating that the TDs can see to make sure they don't play in a division below their rating.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The TD can require a nonmember to enter Advanced or Open if they want to play but some TDs don't like to be gatekeepers and will let a nonmember, perhaps their friend, enter a division below where they should play. Non-current members have a rating that the TDs can see to make sure they don't play in a division below their rating.
That assumes that they are even checking. The local c-tier's that I've been to don't seem to bother. I've seen more than a few times where it's like "I'm not current, and I don't have enough cash to play in advanced....so I'll play rec"

Old 09-20-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
That assumes that they are even checking. The local c-tier's that I've been to don't seem to bother. I've seen more than a few times where it's like "I'm not current, and I don't have enough cash to play in advanced....so I'll play rec"
My point is the TDs are key to applying any policy regarding divisional placement of non-members and non-current members. And without enforcement or penalties (which would be what?) of some sort, I'm not sure how to change the inconsistency in some markets.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 117
Niced 369 Times in 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
My point is the TDs are key to applying any policy regarding divisional placement of non-members and non-current members. And without enforcement or penalties (which would be what?) of some sort, I'm not sure how to change the inconsistency in some markets.
Take it out of their hands and put it where it belongs, on the pDGA. Tired of the supposed governing body of the sport pushing responsibility on to unpaid volunteers. Any non-current member or non-member (no pDGA#) needs to be placed in Advanced. Done. Now it is consistent in all markets.

Maybe one day the pDGA will look out for its members and quit groveling to the needs of the non-member. Now the pDGA just hides behind the TDs and throws them under the bus whenever this issues pops up, just like Chuck did.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
Take it out of their hands and put it where it belongs, on the pDGA. Tired of the supposed governing body of the sport pushing responsibility on to unpaid volunteers. Any non-current member or non-member (no pDGA#) needs to be placed in Advanced. Done. Now it is consistent in all markets.

Maybe one day the pDGA will look out for its members and quit groveling to the needs of the non-member. Now the pDGA just hides behind the TDs and throws them under the bus whenever this issues pops up, just like Chuck did.
TDs are not unpaid volunteers unless they choose to be. The problem with a policy forcing non-members into Advanced is in developing markets where the TD may not get true new players to enter or discourage those who do to get smoked in Advanced. I'd rather see the nonmembers play in their own division with the option to play Advanced or Open. That might cover the bases.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 117
Niced 369 Times in 162 Posts

Whats wrong with getting smoked in Advanced if you are a non-member? Want to play in the proper division, sign up for the pDGA and get a rating and play any division you are eligible for. So you would rather have a bunch of paying pDGA members get smoked by non-members? Why even be a member of the pDGA then?

PDGA sanctioned event, Michigan State Championships and 4 of the top 5 in Rec were non-members.

The pDGA let down 71 paying members plain and simple. What good is a rating protected divisions if non-rated players can play? Either make non-members play Advanced or make a trophy only non-member division. False advertising by the pDGA to call them ratings protected divisions.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:41 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
The pDGA let down 71 paying members plain and simple. What good is a rating protected divisions if non-rated players can play? Either make non-members play Advanced or make a trophy only non-member division. False advertising by the pDGA to call them ratings protected divisions.
That's basically what I'm getting at. Either make non-members play in a non-member no payout division, or go Open....where they will most likely get smoked.

But the more I think about it, the more I like a non-member division.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Whats wrong with getting smoked in Advanced if you are a non-member? Want to play in the proper division, sign up for the pDGA and get a rating and play any division you are eligible for. So you would rather have a bunch of paying pDGA members get smoked by non-members? Why even be a member of the pDGA then?

PDGA sanctioned event, Michigan State Championships and 4 of the top 5 in Rec were non-members.

I'm with you on this and have tried to persuade the CompCom to do something. But unilaterally forcing the nonmembers to Advanced or Open hasn't flown, but TDs have always had the power to move nonmembers up and some regularly do it. Thus, the idea of the separate division option or play up has been in discussion.