Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 06-02-2018, 05:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 623 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spmurphy23 View Post
Least consistent often has a negative connotation, but I think once you get the "inconstancy" figured out, it can be a benefit. For example, I love the feel of a Legacy Cannon in my hand, but over the years I have throwing the cannon, it has been extremely inconsistent. However, I have figured it out and now carry 5-6 in my bag.

Pinnacle: hyzer flip and turnovers
Icon: straight, roller, and long s-curves
Sparkle/First Run: long holding hyzers, flex shots, and forehand

Though, if the inconsistency of the mold cannot be segregated between plastics or runs, than I see why that is a huge problem.
I like this theroy. Inactually stopped saying "inconsistent" and started just calling each discs differences it's own unique nuance. I know it still is the same thing but I agree with having one mokd in different stages of wear and with it's own characteristics just for the consistency of feel.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 59 Times in 37 Posts

Anything trilogy I have thrown. Destroyers as well but that is because they have to run so many.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-02-2018, 06:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 6
Niced 264 Times in 135 Posts

Im gonna say anything stamped "Innova". Just saying...
Old 06-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 407 Times in 324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Groove
All the Grooves I've thrown in the last several years have been massively overstable and glideless. The only Grooves I've seen that have high speed turn and glide were first runs or soon after.

I tend to find that understable, fast drivers are the least consistent. You'll get the ones that fly how they're supposed to. However, you'll get others that fly significantly more overstable than the numbers would indicate.

It isn't like you're going to get freakishly understable Nuke OSs. Those things are very consistently overstable.

Nuke SSs on the other hand can be beefy at times. I've thrown a couple that were relatively glideless with a big, dumpy fade.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
You didn't say the Renegade?!?!

I only have one Sparkle Lucid Sheriff and one Fuzion Sheriff, and while the Sparkle is more OS, the discs aren't that wildly different. I would not mind having a Biofuzion Sheriif that is as flippy/understable as you describe yours to be; I bet my noodle arm would love it.

As to what mold is the most inconsistent, just insert any driver name here ________. They all have variances, and will as long as the earth provides temperature differences during the cooling process. For me personally and the discs I own and use, the Waves I have are totally inconsistent.
I've only thrown that 1 Renegade, so I have no basis for comparison. It sure as hell didn't wow me though.

MSG me if you want to trade for the really flippy Sheriff. You might actually dig it. Its a biofuzion white disc that for whatever reason flips all over the place. It isn't even in bad condition. I have zero use for the thing.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I'd add the Katana and the D3 to the list. I've owned examples of both that covered all ends of the spectrum from incredibly flippy to quite overstable.
Katana is MASSIVELY inconsistent. I'll agree there. Even if you stick to the same plastic. Some are flippy and bomb. Others are really beefy and glideless.

Impossible to know what you're getting when you buy a Katana. Its one of those discs you almost have to throw first before you know you want to buy it or not. Frustrating disc at times.

I've only owned/thrown 1 D3, so I can't really comment on the inconsistency there. Mine flies like a G* Shryke. Flippy and glidey.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:20 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,247 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
I've only thrown that 1 Renegade, so I have no basis for comparison. It sure as hell didn't wow me though.

MSG me if you want to trade for the really flippy Sheriff. You might actually dig it. Its a biofuzion white disc that for whatever reason flips all over the place. It isn't even in bad condition. I have zero use for the thing.
Thanks, but I already ordered some discs, and I'm trying to disc down anyway. So pay that Sheriff forward and get a kid into the game.

And if you get a chance to try another Renegade, give it a shot. It's not a bad mold, at least for amateur noodle arms. It'll be US for someone in your armspeed range, of course...
Old 06-03-2018, 07:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 94
Niced 924 Times in 431 Posts

Katanas are the least consistent disc I have ever thrown.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 477 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
I stopped bagging Destroyers back around 2011 for this reason. Some were OS, some were straight, some were instant BH rollers. Every one was like a box of chocolate.

They were very nice when they were the stability I wanted.
That is the reason I use only the Champion models I got in 2014, as the others were all over the board and some were high dome others were low dome from the same run. The Champion models of Destroyers are way more consistent then the Star or Pro model as the disc is made in less numbers as they are less popular so naturally the discs are going to be more constant.

You can thank Paul McBeth for the Pro and Star models being popular, he first used those in the 2000's when he first was a pro with apparel team, Uh one that now makes disc too. Got such big distance with the disc that Innova players started using those discs too.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-04-2018 at 04:52 AM.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts

I also vote Katana, because the variation makes them 100% different discs. And the OS ones are absolute junk IMO. It's one thing if a disc flies way more OS than its numbers off the shelf, like a Champ Sidewinder, but at least they still have glide and fly like a great control driver. A beefy Katana is something I never want to throw.

Destroyers obviously have a ton of variation, but at least they all have Destroyer characteristics. They might be very different in stability, and it is very frustrating to me sometimes, but at least you know what a OS Destroyer, beat in OS Destroyer, and flippy Destroyer fly like and how they react to different conditions.