Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 458 Times in 281 Posts
Default beat-in discs vs. naturally US molds

I have a conundrum. I bag a couple Raiders, and I really, really like them. They're super comfortable in the hand and generally go where I want. I also bag a pop-top Star Shryke. It's not as comfortable in the hand but is consistently my longest disc. So here's where the conundrum comes in: Trilogy plastic beats in faster than Innova, and now my oldest Raider is severely overlapping with my Shryke. They have their relative merits:

Beat-in Raider
-Feels better in hand and releases cleaner
-More workable (I can manipulate release angles much easier than with my Shryke)
-Better resists headwinds

Shryke
-Longer and glidier, especially on throws that are less than perfect
-Better resists OAT
-Is the longest disc I own

While my Shryke and most beat-in Raider are pretty similar, I do find myself reaching for one over the other in specific situations. And the Shryke basically flies like an incredibly long midrange (not a ton of lateral movement and finishes pretty much straight) while my oldest Raider has both more turn and more fade.

So...what would you do in this situation? If you have a disc that started stable and has beat in to slightly understable, and also a disc of the same speed that is naturally slightly understable, which do you bag? I've tried pulling one or the other out of the bag for a bit, but find myself at least once per round wishing I had the other one available. And yet I feel like I might be handicapping myself by splitting Max D shots among two discs rather than maximizing familiarity with one disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 101 Times in 68 Posts

I’d keep both, especially if there are situations where you know you want one or the other.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 523 Times in 298 Posts

For a driver I prefer the beat in disc for the US slot.

For Putters and mids I kinda prefer an US mold.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,063 Times in 685 Posts

I love the flight of an overstable disc that gets beat in. The Firebird, Bard and Harp are some of my favorite discs because they change with age, but stay useful.

A flat Firebird begins its life a a beautifully overstable FH and utility disc, wearing into a go to driver for shots in the 350-400ft range, and ends its life as a disc I use as a BH skip shot disc or spike hyzer placement shots. They change but they always remember what face is.

A disc that is naturally less stable can sometimes get so flippy, they lose their identity entirely. More overstable discs usually don’t.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:02 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 791 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I have a conundrum. I bag a couple Raiders, and I really, really like them. They're super comfortable in the hand and generally go where I want. I also bag a pop-top Star Shryke. It's not as comfortable in the hand but is consistently my longest disc. So here's where the conundrum comes in: Trilogy plastic beats in faster than Innova, and now my oldest Raider is severely overlapping with my Shryke. They have their relative merits:

Beat-in Raider
-Feels better in hand and releases cleaner
-More workable (I can manipulate release angles much easier than with my Shryke)
-Better resists headwinds

Shryke
-Longer and glidier, especially on throws that are less than perfect
-Better resists OAT
-Is the longest disc I own

While my Shryke and most beat-in Raider are pretty similar, I do find myself reaching for one over the other in specific situations. And the Shryke basically flies like an incredibly long midrange (not a ton of lateral movement and finishes pretty much straight) while my oldest Raider has both more turn and more fade.

So...what would you do in this situation? If you have a disc that started stable and has beat in to slightly understable, and also a disc of the same speed that is naturally slightly understable, which do you bag? I've tried pulling one or the other out of the bag for a bit, but find myself at least once per round wishing I had the other one available. And yet I feel like I might be handicapping myself by splitting Max D shots among two discs rather than maximizing familiarity with one disc.

Okay I am familiar with this problem.
I use a DX Dragon almost an R-DX at ~150 grams until it is US from the Valkyrie type of flight path. I also have a Valkyrie and in Champion as well as Star but just the Champion is more OS then the Dragon simply due to the weight of a Dragon at ~150 grams. Now the Dragon due to the weight takes more finesse to fly right being naturally US where as the Valkyrie due to weight is going to be more OS simply due to the disc being heavier at 171 grams. I tend to get the same fight from both discs but the Valkryie in Champion dose for me hold in headwinds up to 15 mph and my nearly flat top Star holds in headwinds up to 20-25 mph maybe a tad higher if I power on the disc. The Dragon is used in calm to tailwind shots in mostly open situations, mostly open due the soft version of DX the Dragon comes in. I carry both not just to have a water disc with the Dragon but due to its use in tailwind or calm open situations where the Valkyrie is not going as far.

This is not my max D disc as there I have a Champion Destroyer, different weights 167 grams is my D disc and the 170 grams is my ) <---shape flight or my wind disc for winds past ~35 mph. That is how I have a less OS and more OS disc but have both use the same mold.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 1,985 Times in 1,142 Posts

they all fly

i dont care if its a wraith or a destroyer or a beat in radar or surge or a beat in tern

its all the same to me as long as i can get the flight path i want

if not out of the bag it goes and sits on the shelf until that slot opens back up

worth noting i am sitting on a fat surplus of discs to last the rest of my life so im just tryin to use what i have

Niced: (2)
Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 791 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
they all fly

i dont care if its a wraith or a destroyer or a beat in radar or surge or a beat in tern

its all the same to me as long as i can get the flight path i want

if not out of the bag it goes and sits on the shelf until that slot opens back up

worth noting i am sitting on a fat surplus of discs to last the rest of my life so im just tryin to use what i have
I accidentally did that with the Stalker due to rumors of the mold going to be NOP or Not In Production for Discraft. Boy was I wrong listing to those people...So now that is my Fairway disc for life considering how durable Z plastic is and the spare 6 discs I have at the weight I want 170-172 grams. Stalker is a great mold, rim feels like one of the types of Eagle in the L mold but with a bead to get the mold like a X mold flight without the awkward rim the X mold can have.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 5
Niced 800 Times in 557 Posts

And that's the trick, settling in on what you have or molds you know. Once you get past looking for the magic disc and just get something you like it's nice to start a cycle, but that's a different situation for everyone.

I don't cycle soft dx or electron discs much, it's fun but our courses don't offer a gradual cycle. Stuff gets flippy fast, that being said I lean towards something that is close to giving me what I want in premium plastic. I'm willing to put some time into it and beat em straight. As far as understable though I prefer something that is... right out of the box, not extreme but turnable.

I don't know I throw whatever is working and have settled on my primary molds for the next while, so I'm rocking three backups of both Relays and Craves. My first Relay is great beautifully beat in to a great gentle turning disc, not what I originally loved it for but happy it's there now.

The nice thing about a disc that is beating in that way is that it is more resistant to the wind than something that is made to flip that much to start with. No I have no scientific evidence.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 225 Times in 147 Posts

Take them to the course, throw both on the same shots (alternating which comes first), take notes. Do this a couple of times on different days and different weather conditions, then look for the numbers which one to bag (or both if they are different enough to cover different slots).

... or use the more intuitive approach and bag the one you simply like more.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,508 Times in 862 Posts

I try to have moulds that fly from US to OS new in different Plastics

As an example. . i have a new FR Z Vulture that is quite US. . a Ti that just flies straight. . .a Tour series ESP that is slightly OS and a CryZtal that is really OS

Same with my Shrykes. . LUNAs and Buzzzes