Old 11-12-2019, 12:03 AM
Par Member

Niced 110 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
thanks for the vote of confidence. i don't think i'll fall apart if i get one but i do feel that it's easier for me to stay focused on my priorities without one. there really aren't any particular functions of a smartphones that would make that big of a difference in my daily life. if i need digital access outside of the house for whatever reason, i bring a tablet and find a wi-fi network. otherwise, i just let other people ask their phones about "food near me"... one of the few things i can't do without a smartphone.
I totally respect and agree with that. Focusing on priorities is important, and that's something we all should keep in thought.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2019, 12:09 AM
Par Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
I don't cut grass at all, and if it were possible to do so, I would happily stop driving cars.

Time-savers always raise the question of what the saved time will be used for. If the time is used poorly, as in watching television or looking at facebook or indulging in whatever the currently popular addictions are, then wouldn't you be better off walking?
It is possible for you to stop driving cars. Why haven't you? You say you would be happy to do so.

And what if the time saved isn't used poorly?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 63 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
It is possible for you to stop driving cars. Why haven't you? You say you would be happy to do so.

And what if the time saved isn't used poorly?
It is possible yes. But in order to abandon automobiles I would need to abandon people I cannot live happily or peacefully without. I suppose it would be more accurate to say that I would happily live in a society without cars.

I reckon I would need some examples. To what good use are you putting the time bought by your smartphone, or your kitchen appliances, or any other "convenience"?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 327
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 287 Times in 146 Posts

maybe we can make a distinction between efficiency and time-saving. i think the modern notion of time-saving tends to accept a lower quality of things in general and goes hand in hand with the disposable attitude toward products that is prevalent among the majority of Americans.

i like efficiency but i don't like cutting corners. i find that doing certain things the "old fashioned way" keeps me connected to my environment, my community, and a healthy notion of self. and if it ends up being somewhat time consuming, that's just time for me to think and reflect.

Quote:
if it were possible to do so, I would happily stop driving cars

i do love having the freedom to drive anywhere anytime but there is a thick chain attached to owning a car.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:47 AM
Par Member

Quote:
To what good use are you putting the time bought by your smartphone, or your kitchen appliances, or any other "convenience"?
Learning.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:57 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateWesternSky View Post
Learning.
To what end?
Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,734 Times in 560 Posts

Do you handwrite responses and send them via carrier pigeon to a plugged in friend, Arm? Or are you just another garrulous windbag posing as someone special?

Niced: (3)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Do you handwrite responses and send them via carrier pigeon to a plugged in friend, Arm? Or are you just another garrulous windbag posing as someone special?
In fact I've used my wife's old phone for internet access for a few years now. It isn't connected to any network, but when I'm staying somewhere with available internet I sometimes use it. I'm not in any way special. I'm one of the weakest people I know and must forcibly restrain myself from wasting what of my life that has value.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.5
Courses Played: 145
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 254 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Is this a 3 or a 5? I can't read it.
I got a 2-stroke penalty at state finals (Michigan) in 2000 because a card mate adding up the scores confused a 3 for a 5 on my score and accidentally said my score was 2 strokes worse than it actually was...and I failed to notice it on my double check too. So my score ended up being the score he said after all once the TD's penalty was enforced.

Totally my fault, by the way...I'll own that. And yes, we were instructed to write "3" instead of the dash we all liked to make back then. When you just wrote "-" for a par (everything was considered par 3 no matter how long the hole!) it was so easy to add up the scores on that pencil-and-paper format.

I was the last player to make the cut for the final round by one stroke after that penalty. (in Am-1)

Old 11-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 519
Niced 704 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
In fact I've used my wife's old phone for internet access for a few years now. It isn't connected to any network, but when I'm staying somewhere with available internet I sometimes use it....
What? This sounds like a great use for an old phone. I have used old phones as MP3 players and digital cameras, but never thought about using it as a "travel laptop". If you can hook an old phone up to internet, wouldn't that mean you could keep all the apps updated and install new ones? For example, is it possible to download the Udisc app onto an old phone and then keep score without any internet access? (not for PDGA live scoring, just for scoring.)