Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 600 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
[Goes and checks my rating]

PDGA website: 895

I have to say I agree with Paul.
I have to agree and I'm "875" rated. I play more like 925 most of the time, but my putting is what's killing my rating.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2020, 08:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 155
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 721 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingus View Post
Eliminate the PDGA tech requirements. If I were a major disc brand I would absolutely start my own tour and only allow my discs to be used on that tour. It would significantly cut down your talent base in the first year but if your payouts were the best in town everyone would flock to your banner. A well planned and executed brand sponsored tour could effectively win 90% of the disc sales in one fell swoop.
In one fell swoosh?

If an actually big company decided to get behind disc golf and throw tens of millions of dollars at engineering, production, and tournaments, they could dominate. If some company swooshes in and starts hosting tournaments with a couple million dollars of added cash for each tournament, their own rulebook, and their own standards, they could take over the world of disc golf and drive the rest of us out of business. Or at the very least completely own the professional scene.

It's possible, but who's gonna do it? Do they want to reinvent the wheel or do they just want to make some discs and host some tournaments within the existing framework?

Niced: (2)
Old 08-29-2020, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,930 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
In one fell swoosh?

If an actually big company decided to get behind disc golf and throw tens of millions of dollars at engineering, production, and tournaments, they could dominate. If some company swooshes in and starts hosting tournaments with a couple million dollars of added cash for each tournament, their own rulebook, and their own standards, they could take over the world of disc golf and drive the rest of us out of business. Or at the very least completely own the professional scene.

It's possible, but who's gonna do it? Do they want to reinvent the wheel or do they just want to make some discs and host some tournaments within the existing framework?
Who's gonna do it? It'd have to be someone who doesn't expect to get those millions back. I'm inclined to think that anyone smart enough to have that much cash, will be someone smart enough to not throw it away.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:01 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 373 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Who's gonna do it? It'd have to be someone who doesn't expect to get those millions back. I'm inclined to think that anyone smart enough to have that much cash, will be someone smart enough to not throw it away.
Oh you would think that. Turns out our American economy turns over a good many idiot millionaires every year.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Niced 572 Times in 282 Posts

Investing in “up and coming” sports or outside mainstream is a great way to go broke.

For any successful sport where does the money come from? Fans. Ams. Etc. Want bigger better DG NOW? Want green fees?

Organic growth = good. Commercialization = bad $$$
Old 09-01-2020, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,609 Times in 804 Posts

ratings are really only useful when trying to divide the line between Am and Pro. Since you have to actually qualify for things like the PGA/LPGA (and other lower tours, to an extent) ratings mean nothing. The PDGA encompasses both pro and am players, so there has to be something to differentiate performance.

Ratings don't mean much if you're a touring pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post

For any successful sport where does the money come from? Fans. Ams. Etc. Want bigger better DG NOW? Want green fees?
There are a lot of spoiled disc golfers out there that demand free rounds - some of us out here have to pay to play our courses, and honestly it's not a big deal and it certainly isn't prohibitive considering what we get out of it.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,132 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmxer View Post
Investing in “up and coming” sports or outside mainstream is a great way to go broke.

Organic growth = good. Commercialization = bad $$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
There are a lot of spoiled disc golfers out there that demand free rounds - some of us out here have to pay to play our courses, and honestly it's not a big deal and it certainly isn't prohibitive considering what we get out of it.
Disc golf is the result of players and built and maintained on the back of mostly volunteers.

Greens fees and park fee here, only provide for clean, well maintained courses. Not a complaint, I will gladly pay a few buck for it.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 1,855 Times in 1,031 Posts

"oh wait that’s right because they are pointless!"

He's right. The PDGA should be for ams only. The pros need much better overall representation to the public than what the PDGA provides.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 155
Niced 721 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post

He's right. The PDGA should be for ams only. The pros need much better overall representation to the public than what the PDGA provides.
In place of the PDGA or in addition to the PDGA?

Old 09-01-2020, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,541 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post

Examples where the PDGA has fallen short in "overall representation to the public"?

Niced: (2)