Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 03-30-2017, 09:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Im going to revise my statement to exclude the sexual innuendo. When I started Dg my buddy handed me a driver and said let it rip. I'm a bigger guy that used to be good at sports. By the end of that first round I could throw 250ft with a sidearm and boy was I hooked. I still remember getting a birdie on a 330ish ft hole that was over a river and under a bridge on my first round.

On the other hand, I tried this with my wife and she couldn't throw a high speed driver or a sidearm if her life depended on it. I ended up giving her a pink King cobra that she immediately fell in love with.

The other major difference between the two events was the teaching that happened. When I took my wife out I learned to just keep my mouth shut unless she had a question. That first time I went I'm pretty sure my buddies ear was bleeding and he was tired of teaching.

Basically, it depends on the person you are bringing. If you give them a shark and they keep turning it over and getting frustrated, just give them a driver to compensate. Or if they are susceptible to teaching then give them some pointers. Either way the first time should be fun if you want to get them out a second time.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 348
Niced 298 Times in 119 Posts

They put three discs in starter packs for a reason.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 93
Niced 37 Times in 27 Posts

I'd suggest starting with two discs : mid and putter. Shark is a good choice but any stable to understable mid should do. And any putter (bring beaded and non-beaded, let them pick). Show them a basic fan grip and a power grip and the basics of backhand and forehand. Then just go have fun. I also like the suggestion that you should only bring a mid & putter. No since out throwing them by 100-200 feet and making them feel silly.

You may also want to bring a fairway driver (leopard is good option). If they get the hang of the mid, pull out the fairway and let them give it a go.

Finally go to an easy - uncrowded course. Nothing will turn them off faster than having to dig discs out of the weeds & brush.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 35 Times in 15 Posts

I just hit my first full year of playing and have introduced 3-4 of my friends to the game during that time, so I have been on both sides of this scenario in the last year

As others have said, just focus on making it fun. Give them some very basic pointers and then let them do their thing. You may need to read the person a bit though. If you can see they're getting frustrated and are asking you questions, then sure, give them some more simple advice. However, if they're throwing 50 foot noob hyzers but seem to be having the time of their life, let them do that and don't try to coach them into being a pro.

As far as disc selection, I doubt it will make a difference what they throw, so imo, give them a driver and tell them it's a driver. All my friends that I introduced were at least familiar with ball golf so they seemed a lot more excited to throw a driver than a putter. Sure, it goes against all conventional wisdom for their skill level and they probably won't throw it any further than they would a putter, but they don't know that, and it's exciting for them to think they're throwing a powerful disc.

Also, make sure you are staying positive even if you're having a bad round (not calling out OP specifically). Blowing up because you missed a 20 foot putt is not going to leave a good impression when they are missing a 10 footer by 5 feet, it will just make them feel terrible

Once they show up for their 4th or 5th round and they start asking about improvement, you can start setting them up with proper discs and delve more into strategy

Good luck and remember your only goal for his first round is to make it fun enough so that they want to come back!

Last edited by CabMakio; 03-30-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 117 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabMakio View Post
I just hit my first full year of playing and have introduced 3-4 of my friends to the game during that time, so I have been on both sides of this scenario in the last year

As others have said, just focus on making it fun. Give them some very basic pointers and then let them do their thing. You may need to read the person a bit though. If you can see they're getting frustrated and are asking you questions, then sure, give them some more simple advice. However, if they're throwing 50 foot noob hyzers but seem to be having the time of their life, let them do that and don't try to coach them into being a pro.

As far as disc selection, I doubt it will make a difference what they throw, so imo, give them a driver and tell them it's a driver. All my friends that I introduced were at least familiar with ball golf so they seemed a lot more excited to throw a driver than a putter. Sure, it goes against all conventional wisdom for their skill level and they probably won't throw it any further than they would a putter, but they don't know that, and it's exciting for them to think they're throwing a powerful disc.

Also, make sure you are staying positive even if you're having a bad round (not calling out OP specifically). Blowing up because you missed a 20 foot putt is not going to leave a good impression when they are missing a 10 footer by 5 feet, it will just make them feel terrible

Once they show up for their 4th or 5th round and they start asking about improvement, you can start setting them up with proper discs and delve more into strategy

Good luck and remember your only goal for his first round is to make it fun enough so that they want to come back!
Perfect!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Disc down yourself and consider a putter only round as to not discourage the newer player.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 139 Times in 88 Posts

I always give them a cobra and some other mid and have them throw both off the first tee. the one that goes farthest I say "I'd use THAT one". then they have a little confidence to start.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 74
Niced 61 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
Disc down yourself and consider a putter only round as to not discourage the newer player.
This is the best advice in the whole thread.

Make it all about them, and not about how great you are. Once you get them hooked, pull out the big guns.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 69
Niced 46 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGlass01 View Post
This is one I didn't really consider, and it's a good one.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 39
Niced 29 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
They put three discs in starter packs for a reason.
I assumed the reason was to sell a third disc. :-P

I started with three discs, too, but in retrospect I think I would have been better off with just an understable fairway driver and a putter.