Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Eagle McMahon Off-Arm Move

I have been interested in this move that Eagle does in his RHBH throws. When he starts reaching back, he reaches his off-arm in an equal opposite way/countering the throwing arm. Then as the throwing arm shoots forward, the off-arm goes back to the side.

Before reachback:
https://imgur.com/gallery/hOa6mhy

After reachback:
https://imgur.com/gallery/1qCzJRE

Would this move benefit in terms of distance? Seems like GG does the same move but Eagle is just doing the extreme version of it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,605 Times in 1,622 Posts

Eagle's move is much more similar to McBeth, but McBeth's rear elbow never goes behind his torso/back and his rear arm is coming into the body well before the top of the backswing/plant. Eagle's rear elbow is flying out away from his torso behind his back to the top of the backswing/plant. I wouldn't recommend copying Eagle, his body is perfectly built like an orangutan to throw far and can get away with some sloppy mechanics.

GG and PP rear elbow go forward in front of the torso/chest in the backswing, not behind the torso/back:

Niced: (2)
Old 07-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 246 Times in 163 Posts

Eagle's off arm motion has also changed this past year it seems to me. And whenever Eagles changes anything it's gonna get noticed since he rips a casual 80+mph. I've also noticed his briefcase pull seems a little less pronounced lately.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:25 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread as I noticed that left arm move of his in recent months as well.

My assumption is he is moving his left arm forward to get a feel of where he wants his pivot/stack to be, so it gets set in his mind as a reference point, then he continues with his backswing and brings his move forward to the position where his pivot/stack was check-pointed for release.

He is basically programming himself for where he wants to be stacked and releasing the disc, then does the turn and footwork necessary to return to that point and for his release.

If this theory is correct, it is not a bad idea, I do not think any of us test our stack/pivot, we just start our move back then forward, hoping we get our timing and hit point correct.

Maybe we should start from our stacked position.....
Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdiscs View Post
Thanks for starting this thread as I noticed that left arm move of his in recent months as well.

My assumption is he is moving his left arm forward to get a feel of where he wants his pivot/stack to be, so it gets set in his mind as a reference point, then he continues with his backswing and brings his move forward to the position where his pivot/stack was check-pointed for release.

He is basically programming himself for where he wants to be stacked and releasing the disc, then does the turn and footwork necessary to return to that point and for his release.

If this theory is correct, it is not a bad idea, I do not think any of us test our stack/pivot, we just start our move back then forward, hoping we get our timing and hit point correct.

Maybe we should start from our stacked position.....
The full pump/forward press before the backswing is the ultimate starting from where you want to finish.
Moving Around the Disc: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=91096
Address & Finish Position: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=134167
One-Piece Takeaway: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133733

Old 07-21-2019, 12:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,516 Times in 1,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
The full pump/forward press before the backswing is the ultimate starting from where you want to finish.
Do you feel that bit of disc edge push/release during your forward pump?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Do you feel that bit of disc edge push/release during your forward pump?
Yes, my wrist is open at the top of the forward pump to the top of the backswing and then closes in transition forward from lag.

Niced: (1)