Old 08-01-2019, 03:02 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 677
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,463 Times in 661 Posts

As you pointed out, the rules try to address things as they happen. Accidentally moving a marker or picking up your disc before marking is more likely to happen earlier in the process of preparing to make your throw than later. Thus, commenting on this in the Marking a Lie seems to make more sense than Interference which is a specialty area not part of a normal throw sequence.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Maybe just some footnotes in one section, pointing towards another?

Niced: (1)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 406 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Maybe just some footnotes in one section, pointing towards another?
I think especially in this day and age more people carry a smart phone with the ability to look-up online than a regular book, foot notes could even be replaced by hyper-links.

This is especially true with something like this scenario where moving a disc during marking you could jump back and forth. interference, stance, marking a lie? Stance inside and outside the circle for one. I get why they are in different places but could use some linking.

As a general note on the rules, hyper-links need to re-direct to any relevant Q&A or clarifications as well. Plenty of rules I thought were clear and understood then the Q&A might somewhat contradict. IF one *thinks* they understand the text they aren't going to the Q&A for clarification.

I think in the scenario of, moving the disc in the process of marking the lie (flipping it then realizing that is casual and move it back), is not interference (although it may not be totally proper), marking with the mini and throwing from the proper mark.
Its not proper but I just don't see a penalty or even an official warning other than a casual reminder in the rules.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
I think especially in this day and age more people carry a smart phone with the ability to look-up online than a regular book, foot notes could even be replaced by hyper-links.

Or, the footnotes could by hyper-linked in the digital versions.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 41 Times in 25 Posts

Ignoring the doctrinal interpretation of the rule, the practical answer to your question would be: almost never. Marking violations are regularly ignored since they are usually inconsequential. My first tournament was a two day A tier, played with three discs and no marker. No one said squat about my using another disc, or a stick, or nothing at all, to mark my lie. While that won't always be the case, I have continued to violate (for the sake of experiment) the marking rules ever since, and have only been warned once.