Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 110 Times in 74 Posts
Default Locking the Left Side to the Lead Elbow

Is this anything? I think what he's saying is that the left side is driving the front side, but I think the actual benefit of this would be teaching you to keep that lead shoulder open and not closed and rounding.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 05:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,605 Times in 1,622 Posts

How does the trail side drive the lead side when your lead arm is pulling the trail shoulder around?

I think he is still confused about the difference between a two-arm swing vs a one-arm swing. You don't want your trail shoulder to rotate around the lead shoulder arc during the swing. The trail shoulder is basically the swing center, so you want the swing center to stay compact and inside the lead shoulder arc, to leverage the swing of the lead shoulder/arm/disc out forward faster. If your swing center sways out around before release, you lose a ton of leverage. After release the trail shoulder/swing center will get pulled around the lead shoulder. You can see how the shoulders basically switch arcs before release and after release.

During the swing, the trail shoulder(blue arc) makes a tight compact arc and the lead shoulder(purple arc) makes a big arc forward.

After release the lead shoulder(orange arc) makes a tight compact arc and the trail shoulder(yellow arc) makes a big arc forward. .

Last edited by sidewinder22; 08-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:08 AM
Par Member

Yep. That all makes sense reading it. I really like the KJ shoulder path diagram. Really cool how the paths mirror each other.

The one arm vs two arm swing comment clicked with me. I see now how limiting this idea is. It disregards all the advantages of being able to throw with one arm vs treating our shoulders like one locked piece as if we’re swinging a bat.

Old 08-07-2019, 03:37 PM
Par Member

Now that I've thought about this more I think I'm identifying the issue a little easier.

Billy's old images show his left (trailing) side flying around the swing center like Bradley's would if he tried to rotate with that dog leash attached to his arm, whereas in Brinster's image you can almost see the shoulders "trading" spots.