Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 08-08-2019, 11:54 AM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Shifting from behind/Bracing/Getting on top of the front leg Question

I see a lot about shifting from behind aka the left butt moving towards the target. I also see a lot about "bracing" against the front leg, which is what is supposed to move that lower body power into the upper body, and then finishing on top of the front leg.

It seems to me that shifting from behind and finishing on the top of the front leg work together fine. However, bracing seems to have the opposite affect where it prevents me from getting on top of the front leg. Can someone help me understand how you can shift from behind, brace, and still end up on top of the front leg?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 110 Times in 74 Posts

You shift TO the brace. Once your spine and head are STACKED on your front leg, you are fully shifted/braced. Once they're stacked this way, the hip cannot move laterally towards the target anymore and must begin to rotate/redirect to the right.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why does it seem like pros hips and head stay back behind the front leg? Their head and hips are aligned but not on top of the front leg. Like in these clips. They don't get on top of the leg until long after release?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYvav4xCR8
Old 08-08-2019, 01:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,516 Times in 1,599 Posts

It feels like you're over the hip, the brace feels more like being upright on the leg like if you took a walking step. And you should be able to turn/rotate easily, it's your off leg and lower body that counterbalance you so that you don't tip forward or spin out or anything. It's not like a wall that you slam into, it's much more free feeling but perfectly counterbalanced with your momentum.

So don't go "into" the brace, think about getting to or on the leg and let your body flow through. If you are balanced correctly you won't run or step through while throwing...if you do that then you aren't counterweighted properly. The fix isn't to "slam" into the brace.

As far as being behind the leg in still shots, keep in mind they are counterweighted and coming into the throw with a ton of momentum. Like look at this hockey stop, he's way behind the feet and legs, but that's because he's balanced with respect to his momentum. As his speed approaches zero he'll be completely upright on his feet standing up...the residual momentum will pull him up onto his legs. Just like the follow through pulls a thrower up onto their leg as they stop moving, if they are in perfect balance.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 110 Times in 74 Posts

You are dynamically balanced behind the front foot but stacked on the hip in the power pocket. The follow through will bring you back upright on your front leg with your back leg dangling below the hip socket.

Niced: (1)