Old 08-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 105 Times in 44 Posts

I used to be a forehand only player and I have found that I can throw my Infinite Discs Pharoah the furthest, by far, out of all of the discs I have ever thrown.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2019, 06:16 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via ICQ to aztraz

i'm in pretty much the same boat as you (both distance-wise & disc searching-wise), so interested in seeing what responses you get.

a pretty beefy 175g pop-top Star Wraith is currently one of my furthest flying FH discs when i throw it on some anhyzer for a flex with sick glide. when thrown flat i don't get that much distance out if it, but a very predictable fade.

some other discs i've tried out recently in search for the perfect distance FH discs are:

Star Wraith (pretty flat 166g) - started out loving it, but is a bit too understable and unpredictable. need to experiment with throwing flip-up hyzer lines more with this. works well in tailwinds (as one would assume).

ESP Nuke SS (172g new stamp with flight numbers) - worked well for max d s-curves when thrown hard & flat, also flip-up hyzers. sensitive to angles and wants quite some power to fly the way i assume is intended.

Z-Lite Nuke (162g pop-top) - even in lighter plastic this thing is very stable. have used it for some of the same throws i use my above mentioned Wraith, and flies similarly but faster/longer. doesn't sit as comfortably in my hand as a Wraith though.

S-line DDx (170g) - definitely not as stable as my beefy Wraith or Nuke, as i found out when trying to flex it on the same lines. i think it has potential as a far flying controllable FH disc when thrown flat & hard for golf lines, and anhyzers that you want to hold that line for longer. will experiment more.

ESP Kong (mcbeth proto 169g flat-ish) - feels similar to the DDx in some ways, as i can get some turn out of it when thrown hard & flat. comfortable in hand, need to pick this up again and work on it more.

following this thread for more suggestions
Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 677 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Ogre View Post
Exactly why I’m trying to understand the OPs reasoning. I think a stable Valk (maybe max weight Champ?) would be a fantastic forehand hyzer flip disc for someone with 300ish power.
(For reference, I mostly drive with Thundys and a Valk)
Stable is a almost flat top or maybe would make the 3 top cut but in Star not Champion, then the mold feel of a Valkyrie will fly more like an Innova Viking.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 480 Times in 307 Posts

Took a number of discs mentioned out to a field and hammered out a flat, low FH shot with each. If I was off my mark and gave it a little too much height or allowed the nose to creep up, retrieved and re-threw.

These included a couple of flavors of Wraith, and of Trespasses, a Shryke, a Tern, a DDX, maybe something else. Just a stack of stuff off my shelf to test. They all landed in a fairly tight grouping TBH, with a champ tern resulting in the farthest throw by a matter of maybe 10-15' further than second place, and only no more than 30-40' farther than the shortest.

Then I asked my buddy to try the domey TP sword I gave him the other day, which I had written off as possibly too similar to the Wraith, a mold I was more fond of and familiar with. Sure enough, a number of feet farther than the Tern. Same shot, very little turn with a pronounced, gliding fade, just a little bit farther than the rest.

So yeah, I'll probably be bagging a Sword. If I decide squeezing every last foot out of a forehand shot is worth the trouble.

In the shop later that day I checked out a couple of other things I was curious about - has anyone noticed that the Ballista Pro looks almost exactly like a Sword in profile that was stretched to a wider rim size? I figured why go even faster than the speed 11-12 Sword if it was outdoing faster discs anyway. Checked out a Sheriff too, didn't wow me, came up with some reason at the time that I should not worry about testing it out.

If anything now I would like to pick up something to complement the sword, too bad they didn't make them in recycled plastic as far as I could tell. I will have to see how they fit into the backhand lineup if at all, and possibly rely on something flippy I already bag for straighter, more controlled FH distance shots. I will note that if I were to lean on a Champ Tern for this shot, I would naturally have some flippier options in other plastics readily available.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and constructive criticism - I do appreciate that it sounded like each and every one of you meant the best with your suggestions of slower, more controllable discs.

Last edited by Alexplz; 08-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,516 Times in 1,599 Posts

Awesome, the Sword flies great. I've never FH'd one but I do think they backhand amazingly straight and glidey. Similar to the Trespass in a lot of ways and I love the Trespass. I agree that the Sword/Tern are kind of similar, but I prefer the feel of the Sword.

In that case the Sheriff isn't what you want, it's noticeably faster and with more fade. So don't feel like it's a must try unless you are flipping the Sword a lot.

The Flow is an interesting choice as a more overstable Sword complement too if you like that deeper feel and glide over speed. They go far. Note they are a "more overstable Sword", I'm not saying they are truly OS. Domey though.