Old 08-10-2019, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

All that said, TDs are already allowed to offer a discounted entry fee for which the player foregoes all payout (player pack included) in order to just play for a trophy. Can't hurt to ask your local TD if they're willing to offer such a discount if full price is too high for your taste. They may say no, but that should be their prerogative as a TD. They're the ones putting in the work and in a lot of cases, fronting money to pull the event off.
I offered a trophy only option in addition to "normal" (for disc golf and no other sport in the world) payout/pp option many years ago when the PDGA first allowed it. Players were not going for it at that point. Our "normal" entry fees were still pretty low compared to a lot of places so that may have been a factor. This was prior to Disc Golf Scene making offering different options much easier on TDs. Recently we have run a number of trophy only events both with players packs and without and they are generally well received.

I keep threatening to do an "ala carte" entry system with options for buying into both player's packs and/or payout but have not done it as of yet. Even with DGS making things easy on that side it generates more logistics for the TD to deal with than a cookie cutter event.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2019, 05:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,256 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I offered a trophy only option in addition to "normal" (for disc golf and no other sport in the world) payout/pp option many years ago when the PDGA first allowed it. Players were not going for it at that point. Our "normal" entry fees were still pretty low compared to a lot of places so that may have been a factor. This was prior to Disc Golf Scene making offering different options much easier on TDs. Recently we have run a number of trophy only events both with players packs and without and they are generally well received.

I keep threatening to do an "ala carte" entry system with options for buying into both player's packs and/or payout but have not done it as of yet. Even with DGS making things easy on that side it generates more logistics for the TD to deal with than a cookie cutter event.
I ran a few a la carte style events many years ago. Base entry fee was $10 (covered greens, PDGA fee, and trophies), with an optional $10 upcharge to play for prizes. Decided to stop when it caused friction in some of the smaller divisions. One player out of four or five wanted to play for prizes, the rest didn't, and the one player would always be a little bitter about it. Particularly if he/she won the day.

So I went the other way with a full entry fee (usually $20) with a trophy-only option of $10. No one ever paid the $10. Kind of a strange phenomenon as in many cases, we're talking about the same players who weren't paying the extra $10 when it was considered an add-on. So now I will give the trophy-only option to anyone who asks but I don't really promote it. Most folks aren't that bothered since I'm only charging $20-25...less than half of what they're paying at most other PDGAs in the area. I've had people who weren't interested in the player pack disc or tee shirt just choose not to take it. Haven't had anyone ask for a discount or partial refund for doing so.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 773 Times in 459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Most folks aren't that bothered since I'm only charging $20-25...less than half of what they're paying at most other PDGAs in the area.
Nice. I would agree at that entry fee, it's a no brainier.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 116 Times in 74 Posts

At $20, I'd be interested in playing. May or may not want the tee shirt.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,287 Times in 387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I never knew the PDGA allowed the TD to have this option. So it's clear the PDGA understands the potential for players wanting to opt out in return for lower entry fees. Like I said earlier, I want TDs to make as much money as they can, we need the good TDs to be paid for their time. I just don't see the need to force me to buy something I don't want, in order to further said profits. Instead...bring that merch, discount it and sell the hell out of it during the tournament. You have a captive audience!
Agree with this, other than the price model - American Capitalism says that when your audience is captive, you gouge them, not give them a break.

I'm being snarky, but you get the point.

Niced: (1)