Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 209 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Talons and Reapers wouldn't be great for those short holes, and they weren't released in the 80s, which is the decade the Eclipse is representing (Hawk for the 90s, Wildcat, 00s). Doubt they wouldn't have enough old stock to supply the Ace Races...
Fair enough, I can definitely see that. It’s probably a lot easier for them to dust off an old mold rather than designing and testing out a new one. Between Paul’s new lineup of discs and the recent surge of newer molds being presented already. It makes sense to do a retro throwback line.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 964 Times in 634 Posts

I would drive up to three hours to get a pair of Z Reapers in one of these... but your right that would be a crappy disc for an AR.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:51 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 677 Times in 582 Posts

this is the Eclipse he got fro his tournament. The Disc looks like either old ESP or modern Titanium.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 129
Niced 565 Times in 252 Posts

My two seem like standard ESP plastic, they hit some trees, chains, some gravel and even a trip on the street (oops). No dings or dents even on the one I tried to break in quickly with some gravel road rollers. They are domey but nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Sorry to hear your experience was different than mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AceRace2019.jpg (107.1 KB, 33 views)

Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 209 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
My two seem like standard ESP plastic, they hit some trees, chains, some gravel and even a trip on the street (oops). No dings or dents even on the one I tried to break in quickly with some gravel road rollers. They are domey but nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Sorry to hear your experience was different than mine.
How do they fly? Fairly neutral in the ESP? Glidey with the dome?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
How do they fly? Fairly neutral in the ESP? Glidey with the dome?
Definitely have some glide to them. I would say fairly neutral is a good description with some fade at the end. Made it a little tough to dial in on real short AR holes but with a little bit of power seemed to hold nice lines. Seen a lot of folks throwing it sorta hard and letting the basket stop it.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 788 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
Definitely have some glide to them. I would say fairly neutral is a good description with some fade at the end. Made it a little tough to dial in on real short AR holes but with a little bit of power seemed to hold nice lines. Seen a lot of folks throwing it sorta hard and letting the basket stop it

That's generally how people try to ace a hole.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
That's generally how people try to ace a hole.
Touché

For reference, this ace race had holes from 80 ft to maybe 200 ft, along with multiple baskets on every hole. Seemed to be two schools of thought when trying to ace at this race.

Finesse it, throw it with a little height maybe 10-20 ft right of basket (RHBH) and let it start to stall and fade into the baskets. Often times the glide would just keep it sailing over the top or just past the basket(s). When done right these ended up sticking pretty good in the basket and rarely coming back out.

Throw it with some power, these were thrown on a rope and just stayed up hardly dropping at all. No need to account for fade here, just an all out attack right at it. These were about 50/50 of staying in the basket. Witnessed many spit backs, smash chains and then kick right back out. One guy on my card had 3 aces and maybe 8-9 metals, with almost half of those being spit backs. Think the winner had 5 aces and 13 metals.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 677 Times in 582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANBURGARLAR View Post
Fair enough, I can definitely see that. It’s probably a lot easier for them to dust off an old mold rather than designing and testing out a new one. Between Paul’s new lineup of discs and the recent surge of newer molds being presented already. It makes sense to do a retro throwback line.
need to make the Zepplin or whatever it was called a disc again, more so that the company that copied the disc mold verbatim is no longer in business.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 155 Times in 92 Posts

I don't like the sharp bead, but it's not a dealbreaker.

I really expected this disc to fly like a faster version of an Innova Cobra with the -2/2, but it flies a lot more like the 2016 AR Archer -3/1 for me.

Like the archer, it holds a nice straight line when thrown underpowered.
Also like the archer, it's very easy to turn over, and it holds a nice turnover line when powered up, but fades back a tad better than the archer.

On a hyzerflip, the eclipse flips up nicely and rides a long straight path with a gentle faded finish, more reliable than the archer. It flies a lot like my beat hornet (totally different disc supposedly at 5/5/0/4 but ) on the hyzerflip, but requires less effort to achieve.

I think I'm going to keep playing with it for a bit... it replaces both my hornet and my least stable heat that I used for long turnovers.