Old 08-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDGA
If you do not complete a round due to sickness, injury or other emergency, you will receive a score of 999 indicating you Did Not Finish (DNF) that round.
The question still lingers: what does 'completing a round' technically mean?

Another example: I have been absent since the beginning of the round, and I don't show up until my group is approaching the last hole. I play the hole. Have I therefore completed the round?

If in some circumstances I am considered to have 'completed the round' without playing anything but the last hole, couldn't there also exist such circumstances wherein I could be considered to have completed the round without having played the last hole?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 07:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

Is the PDGA Ratings FAQ a legitimate place to have to find rules? I thought that was restricted to the Rule Book and the Comp Manual. Players can't be expected to reference the whole website.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,256 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Is the PDGA Ratings FAQ a legitimate place to have to find rules? I thought that was restricted to the Rule Book and the Comp Manual. Players can't be expected to reference the whole website.
PDGA Ratings FAQ is absolutely not a place to find rules. I believe that that paragraph is more about instruction to the TD in filing the event report than making a ruling on the course. 999 doesn't appear in the rule book, it's a code constrained to the event report (that's where it's defined and the only place it is used).

To me, 999 implies withdrawal from a tournament. However, per the misplay rules, a player that misses holes can be given par+4 and continue playing the event. So if you miss the final five holes of round 2 of a tournament (say it's a 4-round, 2-day thing), then you come back Sunday morning and play the next two rounds, round 2 shouldn't be a 999, it should be an actual score: the scores from the holes played added to par+4 for the unplayed holes. How it impacts ratings should have bearing on the TD's ruling. 999 should only appear if the player fails to come back and play subsequent rounds.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
That's a fair point.

However, it seems that this thread itself is getting a little farfetched. The idea that you might be able to win a tournament despite being unable to finish because of injury seems preposterous to me. But the OP is a newbie trying to come to an understanding of the rules and their application, and I appreciate that thoughtfulness. Although I think it's common sense that if you don't finish you don't win, I don't know of a specific rule that says that. My citing an additional resource to shed some light on the question does not seem out of bounds.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

"Intentionally failing to complete a hole constitutes withdrawal from competition."- Rulebook 811.F.3
Leaving for an emergency would certainly constitute "intentionally failing to complete a hole", as would leaving for a potty break, and pretty much anything else other than simply forgetting to putt out somewhere.

The whole misplay section of the Rulebook is a mess. Mistakenly play an incorrect 200 foot basket placement rather than a 900 footer and get your score on the shortie plus 2. (811.F.7)

Play a hole that is not part of the course at all and those shots don't count but you get a 2 shot penalty. (811.F.8)

Start with the wrong group and receive a 2 shot penalty (811.F.9) unless you were late in which case it is a DQ. (comp manual 1.05 F)

Niced: (2)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
"Intentionally failing to complete a hole constitutes withdrawal from competition."- Rulebook 811.F.3
Leaving for an emergency would certainly constitute "intentionally failing to complete a hole", as would leaving for a potty break, and pretty much anything else other than simply forgetting to putt out somewhere.
I don't think that this rule covers all emergencies: the player could even fall unconscious, and thus be incapable of throwing when it's their turn, even if they had intended otherwise. On the other hand, it seems common sense that in order to complete the round one would have to 'pass the finishing line' somehow, so to say.

It's also interesting to note that the Competition Manual 1.05.E says,
Quote:
If a complete round is missed, or if a player does not finish a round, the player may, at the discretion of the Tournament Director, be disqualified.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,038 Times in 1,366 Posts

Quote:

The whole misplay section of the Rulebook is a mess. Mistakenly play an incorrect 200 foot basket placement rather than a 900 footer and get your score on the shortie plus 2. (811.F.7)

Play a hole that is not part of the course at all and those shots don't count but you get a 2 shot penalty. (811.F.8)

Start with the wrong group and receive a 2 shot penalty (811.F.9) unless you were late in which case it is a DQ. (comp manual 1.05 F)
Indeed.

There are so many ways to screw up, and only so much space in the book.

It reminds me of the saying that "Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious". It's not just the players, either; TDs and course designers contribute as well.