Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 AM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Just thinking!

In side by side comparison everything is more or less similar to my eye until the elbow of throwing hand is above front knee.
From this point on I guess I must be arming the disc because arm keeps sidewinder22's pace but everything else slows down bigtime. I'm decelerating into the hit while sidewinder22 is accelerating through it. Me being set up unable to rotate freely on front leg does not help either. Beginning to grasp a little, what are we trying to achieve!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,769 Times in 1,710 Posts

Note how your chest folds or leans back over in the backswing while Im turn back more upright.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:08 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Just realized I've made a huge mistake, I have not asked advice about my forehand!

I know my forehand throw is kind of jolty, not smooth. Although fh is more accurate throw for me by far, I think smoother throw would help me improve on that. Would not mind more effortlessness while maintaining or improving the distance.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Your stance and weightshift look good. I prefer to do a slight x-step/side shuffle instead of walking forward.

Your arm/disc are kind of disconnected from your body in the backswing and transition, and your arm loads really late. Supinate your arm in the backswing so your arm/disc is loaded and moves back and forth with the shoulders/hips.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:04 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I did some throwing being completely on one leg, no weightshift at all. Actually first time I felt I was throwing from the ground up - arm, shoulder and torso were acting more like a frame and leg action was the engine behind the throw. Throw felt amazingly powerful but also jerky and violent, often I just could not hold on to the disc. No problem clearing the hips of course. So I tried the x-step again, trying to get to the same position but could not. Then I re-read the thread and noticed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I think a camera from behind the tee will show your balance more behind your front heel, planting into too staggered closed stance which prevents you committing to turning the femur further back going into a less staggered stance with your balance more over front instep to shift into the heel.
Argghhhh! I did not understand what you meant by 'too staggered stance' until now! I rephrase just to be sure! So toes of one foot in line with heel of the other foot is "normal" staggered stance. I plant into bigger staggered stance so my front foot ends up being not in line anymore but it is further in front of me. Meanwhile my weight/CoG continues merrily towards the target along normal staggered stance line. As my front foot is off the line, it is impossible for me to get on the front leg and clear the hip, I get jammed into it.

So, to remedy this problem, weight shift/move to plant has to be diagonal? Even with normal stagger. In video you linked, at 2:20 you start One Leg Reciprocation Dingle Arm drill and your stance looks pretty staggered to me. Why is that, what is the purpose? In Parbeque's thread you posted video of Ricky Wysocki's in slow motion https://youtu.be/uPxAZeJ8n3M, same thing there, rather big stagger. Same question, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m15s

Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.SR View Post
Argghhhh! I did not understand what you meant by 'too staggered stance' until now! I rephrase just to be sure! So toes of one foot in line with heel of the other foot is "normal" staggered stance. I plant into bigger staggered stance so my front foot ends up being not in line anymore but it is further in front of me. Meanwhile my weight/CoG continues merrily towards the target along normal staggered stance line. As my front foot is off the line, it is impossible for me to get on the front leg and clear the hip, I get jammed into it.

So, to remedy this problem, weight shift/move to plant has to be diagonal? Even with normal stagger. In video you linked, at 2:20 you start One Leg Reciprocation Dingle Arm drill and your stance looks pretty staggered to me. Why is that, what is the purpose? In Parbeque's thread you posted video of Ricky Wysocki's in slow motion https://youtu.be/uPxAZeJ8n3M, same thing there, rather big stagger. Same question, why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m15s
I recommend toes to heel stagger for a starting point, in general it makes shifting balance between the feet much easier when moving more linear. I also think that camera angle vs run-up angle is a little deceptive there, but there can be some variance on the type of shot/balance. When I'm swinging the hammer/heavier weight especially in standstill/narrow stance or one leg drill I will stagger a little more because it helps balance/stability with the swing weight trying to pull me out of stance more and the rear leg counter balances the swing weight going outward.

There is also the elephant walk drill where the stride is perpendicular to the target but still creates a 1-2" linear weightshift toward the target walking normal, so there is a diagonal shift, or you can think of your weightshift moving or redirecting your CoG/P in a circle or oval to create G-forces out the shoulder/arm/disc.

Rick toe - heel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkM4tmYS4wU&t=2m5s

GG toe - heel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UldZwuCphwA&t=2m5s

Elephant Walk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s&t=4m40s

This gives a cool visual of the weightshift: