Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Field work instead maybe?

I know I was doing it wrong when i first started doing mids and putter rounds. I was trying to still have birdie looks on every hole (granted my home courses are all short enough I could try) But I always found trouble on the longer or boarder line longer holes. I hand an epiphany about it after a while I'm not trying to score my best scores i'm trying to throw finicky discs well. Concentrate on throwing to the right spot and get the flight you can manage out of the slower discs. DON"T try for extra distance work on good throws. The distance comes eventually.
That is where I get frustrated. I get to holes where there is no right spot within my putter range. Maybe what I need to do is lay out a plan like someone might do for a tournament. Maybe that will let keep a better attitude and still have fun while I'm shooting 6 or 10 strokes worse that normal, instead of just seething because I'm jump putting a tee shot on a 450 foot hole to stay in bounds or I'm throwing a 50-75 foot pitch out 2nd shot because I wasn't able to throw my drive past the trouble. Or maybe I allow myself to throw something like a Teebird (versus a Ballista or Destroyer) on those couple of holes, so I at least have a shot at getting my drive in position for a par.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2021, 09:47 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 537 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
This is where I struggle. I tend to play relatively long relatively open courses and I need every inch of distance that I can find. How do I make these rounds with no chance of scoring decent (never going to have a birdie look, long par 3's that I can't reach in 2 with a putter, long par 4's that I can't reach in 3, holes where I have to pitch out/up on my 2nd shot because I can't reach the landing zone, etc) not feel like such a grind?
1. Don't keep score.
2. Disregard par.

3. Just focus on form. You are working on form and throw good shots, not scoring.

No saying it is easy or not a grind.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
1. Don't keep score.
2. Disregard par.

3. Just focus on form. You are working on form and throw good shots, not scoring.

No saying it is easy or not a grind.
It is so hard to get on a full course open enough to play a scoring round these days that that seems like wasted resources.

Most of my play these days is either field work or jumping around holes and getting the shots I can on a 9 hole course.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,224 Times in 630 Posts

This seemed like the most appropriate place to put this, based on thread title...
Old 05-13-2021, 12:10 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 893 Times in 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
That is where I get frustrated. I get to holes where there is no right spot within my putter range. Maybe what I need to do is lay out a plan like someone might do for a tournament. Maybe that will let keep a better attitude and still have fun while I'm shooting 6 or 10 strokes worse that normal, instead of just seething because I'm jump putting a tee shot on a 450 foot hole to stay in bounds or I'm throwing a 50-75 foot pitch out 2nd shot because I wasn't able to throw my drive past the trouble. Or maybe I allow myself to throw something like a Teebird (versus a Ballista or Destroyer) on those couple of holes, so I at least have a shot at getting my drive in position for a par.
What's your putter range?

There's a video of McBeth throwing a putter round where he talks about treating certain par 3 holes as if it is a par 4, making it a 2-shot hole. So even though he was scoring worse during a putter round, his focus was on throwing the right shots and following a plan, thus working on mental game in addition to putter throws.

Niced: (1)

Old 05-13-2021, 12:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
What's your putter range?

There's a video of McBeth throwing a putter round where he talks about treating certain par 3 holes as if it is a par 4, making it a 2-shot hole. So even though he was scoring worse during a putter round, his focus was on throwing the right shots and following a plan, thus working on mental game in addition to putter throws.
With room to throw? Probably averaging about 220-230, with 250 on really good shots.