#1441  
Old 05-13-2021, 09:32 AM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,139
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt for D'oh View Post
Field work instead maybe?

I know I was doing it wrong when i first started doing mids and putter rounds. I was trying to still have birdie looks on every hole (granted my home courses are all short enough I could try) But I always found trouble on the longer or boarder line longer holes. I hand an epiphany about it after a while I'm not trying to score my best scores i'm trying to throw finicky discs well. Concentrate on throwing to the right spot and get the flight you can manage out of the slower discs. DON"T try for extra distance work on good throws. The distance comes eventually.
That is where I get frustrated. I get to holes where there is no right spot within my putter range. Maybe what I need to do is lay out a plan like someone might do for a tournament. Maybe that will let keep a better attitude and still have fun while I'm shooting 6 or 10 strokes worse that normal, instead of just seething because I'm jump putting a tee shot on a 450 foot hole to stay in bounds or I'm throwing a 50-75 foot pitch out 2nd shot because I wasn't able to throw my drive past the trouble. Or maybe I allow myself to throw something like a Teebird (versus a Ballista or Destroyer) on those couple of holes, so I at least have a shot at getting my drive in position for a par.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #1442  
Old 05-13-2021, 09:47 AM
Dcinmd Dcinmd is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 583
Niced 537 Times in 261 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
This is where I struggle. I tend to play relatively long relatively open courses and I need every inch of distance that I can find. How do I make these rounds with no chance of scoring decent (never going to have a birdie look, long par 3's that I can't reach in 2 with a putter, long par 4's that I can't reach in 3, holes where I have to pitch out/up on my 2nd shot because I can't reach the landing zone, etc) not feel like such a grind?
1. Don't keep score.
2. Disregard par.

3. Just focus on form. You are working on form and throw good shots, not scoring.

No saying it is easy or not a grind.
Reply With Quote
  #1443  
Old 05-13-2021, 10:52 AM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,139
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
1. Don't keep score.
2. Disregard par.

3. Just focus on form. You are working on form and throw good shots, not scoring.

No saying it is easy or not a grind.
It is so hard to get on a full course open enough to play a scoring round these days that that seems like wasted resources.

Most of my play these days is either field work or jumping around holes and getting the shots I can on a 9 hole course.
Reply With Quote
  #1444  
Old 05-13-2021, 11:33 AM
ChrisWoj's Avatar
ChrisWoj ChrisWoj is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 152
Posts: 1,848
Niced 1,224 Times in 630 Posts
Default

This seemed like the most appropriate place to put this, based on thread title...
Reply With Quote
  #1445  
Old 05-13-2021, 12:10 PM
SaROCaM SaROCaM is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Courses Played: 38
Posts: 964
Niced 893 Times in 406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
That is where I get frustrated. I get to holes where there is no right spot within my putter range. Maybe what I need to do is lay out a plan like someone might do for a tournament. Maybe that will let keep a better attitude and still have fun while I'm shooting 6 or 10 strokes worse that normal, instead of just seething because I'm jump putting a tee shot on a 450 foot hole to stay in bounds or I'm throwing a 50-75 foot pitch out 2nd shot because I wasn't able to throw my drive past the trouble. Or maybe I allow myself to throw something like a Teebird (versus a Ballista or Destroyer) on those couple of holes, so I at least have a shot at getting my drive in position for a par.
What's your putter range?

There's a video of McBeth throwing a putter round where he talks about treating certain par 3 holes as if it is a par 4, making it a 2-shot hole. So even though he was scoring worse during a putter round, his focus was on throwing the right shots and following a plan, thus working on mental game in addition to putter throws.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
 

  #1446  
Old 05-13-2021, 12:22 PM
autocrosscrx autocrosscrx is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,139
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaROCaM View Post
What's your putter range?

There's a video of McBeth throwing a putter round where he talks about treating certain par 3 holes as if it is a par 4, making it a 2-shot hole. So even though he was scoring worse during a putter round, his focus was on throwing the right shots and following a plan, thus working on mental game in addition to putter throws.
With room to throw? Probably averaging about 220-230, with 250 on really good shots.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My adventures with the Readings nate22 General Disc Golf Chat 13 11-26-2013 09:39 PM
Adventures at Valmont Shmacka General Disc Golf Chat 1 02-19-2013 05:58 PM
Basketastic Adventures holly7845 General Disc Golf Chat 2 12-03-2012 09:34 PM
Thorn adventures Johnny Depth General Disc Golf Chat 59 08-07-2012 09:44 PM
Adventures of a DG Noob ChainSeeker General Disc Golf Chat 10 12-04-2010 07:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.