Old 06-22-2021, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 127
Niced 7,082 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
If it is a private course who's owner decides to start trying to recoup some of his/her expenses on, then thinking of that change as a con reeks of entitlement to me.
What if it's not a private course?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2021, 03:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,229 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
If it is a private course who's owner decides to start trying to recoup some of his/her expenses on, then thinking of that change as a con reeks of entitlement to me.
I can't help that someone built a disc golf course on their own dime and made it available for me to play.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Or, if a private course doesn't charge a fee, is that a "pro"?
Old 06-22-2021, 04:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Or, if a private course doesn't charge a fee, is that a "pro"?
Sure. Unless it isn't.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-22-2021, 04:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 103
Niced 404 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I can't help that someone built a disc golf course on their own dime and made it available for me to play.
Nor can you read and comprehend very well.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 103
Niced 404 Times in 205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
What if it's not a private course?
I'm on edge here. Are you going to give us the answer?
Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Nor can you read and comprehend very well.
I got a free 60 day trial of YouTube TV. Then the trial period was over and I found the price to far exceed the value that I received from the product.

I don't feel that I'm in any way entitled to their pay service for free, but the price certainly is a con and I certainly can't recommend it to others in good faith when I can receive other comparable streaming services for a lower price or even for free.

Old 06-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 667 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I got a free 60 day trial of YouTube TV. Then the trial period was over and I found the price to far exceed the value that I received from the product.

I don't feel that I'm in any way entitled to their pay service for free, but the price certainly is a con and I certainly can't recommend it to others in good faith when I can receive other comparable streaming services for a lower price or even for free.
This is the point I was making earlier...and my opinion.

You tried the service when it was free....so you have a baseline of what you get from it. Then they wanted to charge you and you, using the baseline value, determined the value (return on investment) wasn't worth what you would receive.

That's how I feel pro/con of Pay for Play courses should be rated....don't rate it a con JUST because you have to pay....rate it based on the value received for that cost.

If a reviewer rates a course based on cost only, without ever playing it...that's unfair...the rater hasn't truly reviewed the COURSE they've only reviewed the cost.

When I see a course review that says- Con: Cost. I look to see why....did the reviewer say it wasn't worth the cost? Did they say the fee is obviously not going to course upkeep/maintenance? Or did they just say - Con: Cost. If their only thing is that it cost money, but no other reason, I'll ignore that Con.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I'm on edge here. Are you going to give us the answer?
Answer to what?

Here's my take. In most things, everything else being equal, low cost is better than high cost, and free is better than low cost.

That's a different formula than whether the item or activity is worth the cost. It may be. it may be a bargain at the cost.

It's also a different formula than whether the entity is entitled to charge. If it's entitled to charge and does so, that's fine, but not as good as if it's entitled to charge, but doesn't.

No difference for disc golf. If a disc golf course that charges a fee, has a "free weekend", that's a bonus. Correspondingly, if a free course then charges, that's not.

I can think of a private course that doesn't charge, but limits attendance. You need a reservation -- you can't just drive up anytime you want. It's part of the deal of the course being available, at all. Would I call that a "con"? Yes -- and I did, in my review. It's less convenient. But would I fault the owner? No -- I'm he.

Same with P2P. It's not as good as free. It might still be a great deal for the chance to play the course, it might be completely justified by the course owner, it might have benefits in course maintenance and crowd control that outweigh it's drawbacks. But in the realm of pros & cons, it's still a con.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 22
Niced 571 Times in 288 Posts

One con to Pebble Beach or Pinehurst #2 is that they charge much more than other (ball golf) courses. The local par 3 course charges much less compared to other courses in the local area, which is a pro.

Would I rather play Pinehurst than the local par 3? Dang skippy, I would. Is Pinehurst “worth it”? It very well may be, but it doesn’t really matter to whether I’m going to assess that it's quite expensive to play there and see that is an item in the “negative” column when I’m choosing where to play golf next time.

Cost compared to the typical or average cost of a particular amenity is a standard part of assessing or reviewing that amenity. That’s true no matter how “worth it” the amenity is. Disc golf is currently nearly always free to play, so P2P is going to frequently go in the con column. Does that mean there is no future in P2P courses or that they are damned to forever be regarded as lowlife courses? Are private property owners not supposed to set up P2P courses. Of course not. Every course is a mix of all its elements, and I for one hope we get more P2P courses, and that they are successful.

Sheesh folks, a course having something in the negative column isn’t some criminal indictment.

Niced: (3)