Old 05-21-2021, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.2
Courses Played: 122
Niced 4,063 Times in 1,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
If only your Bushnell could make your throw. Then maybe it would really be something... illegal. I've been using a Bushnell rangefinder for course design since Uli was one. I still believe it's a necessary tool for course design and good for players on these longer courses. Hey, Bushnell, how about a course designer sponsorship?
I use a rangefinder all the time as well but prefer one that costs about half what the Bushnell's do. I would prefer they be illegal for play but it ain't the end of the world.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2021, 10:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 99
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 71 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I use a rangefinder all the time as well but prefer one that costs about half what the Bushnell's do. I would prefer they be illegal for play but it ain't the end of the world.
Can you elaborate to why you feel this way? I'm genuinely curious about this side of the argument.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:07 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 105
Niced 237 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nasty View Post
Can you elaborate to why you feel this way? I'm genuinely curious about this side of the argument.
I can give a reason for my disliking them, which may not be the same as biscoe's reason.

At Ledgestone in 2020, Bushnell was giving rangefinders to some of the players in the FPO field, apparently because of their social media presence or perhaps likelihood of being on lead and feature cards.

I can't fault Bushnell for doing this - they are trying to move product after all and part of doing that is making their product visible.

But as I understand it, the rangefinders were given for free (this could be a misunderstanding but that is how it appeared) to a few of the players who are arguably going to use them the most and also would get the most benefit from them. These should be the players who ought to be purchasing them to get an advantage, not being given that advantage for me.

It was a case of the rich getting richer - some of the top players being gifted a tool that is going to benefit them in competition while others would need to pay Bushnell or a similar company to get the same advantage.

Again, I could be misunderstanding what occurred. That is how it appeared. And it has soured me on how rangefinders have become more and more prevalent in the game since then. I cannot help but think of the mid-tier or lower-tier players who weren't given a similar tool who were already fighting an uphill battle, and will now have to pay to try and level the playing field.

Last edited by Arisugawa; 05-21-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 718 Times in 393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
While I'm sure well intentioned, I'm not sure how a dude telling women what women want/need is supposed to go over. Sounds like the humored you and probably chuckled about the encounter after.
Could well be true.....but the point remains the same....she doesn't seem to care much about providing females new to the sport any guidance.

The men are much more involved in growing the sport.

I have seen other females work on growing the sport....we have a couple of them doing clinics in Arizona.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,255 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countchunkula View Post
While I'm sure well intentioned, I'm not sure how a dude telling women what women want/need is supposed to go over. Sounds like the humored you and probably chuckled about the encounter after.
While you might be right about the perception given the source, this is the sort of representation that women like Sarah Hokom have spoken about in the past. We need women front and center as role models to make disc golf a truly inclusive place. In direct line with your own point - that means that clearly we as men can't make this a completely inclusive sport. A media sphere that is dominated completely by men teaching the sport does not provide the image of inclusivity that leads to actual inclusivity. That doesn't mean Paige NEEDS to be a role model herself in the way Bill is pushing her to be one. She can do it in any number of ways (or not at all! She's allowed her own prerogatives). But we DO need women who are experts on the game out there pushing lessons on how to play the game to build a sport with true inclusion.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-21-2021, 12:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,768 Times in 2,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
While you might be right about the perception given the source, this is the sort of representation that women like Sarah Hokom have spoken about in the past. We need women front and center as role models to make disc golf a truly inclusive place. In direct line with your own point - that means that clearly we as men can't make this a completely inclusive sport. A media sphere that is dominated completely by men teaching the sport does not provide the image of inclusivity that leads to actual inclusivity. That doesn't mean Paige NEEDS to be a role model herself in the way Bill is pushing her to be one. She can do it in any number of ways (or not at all! She's allowed her own prerogatives). But we DO need women who are experts on the game out there pushing lessons on how to play the game to build a sport with true inclusion.
It is not PP responsibility to be a role model. Of course, Discraft might disagree. Her job is to beat a field of FPO players each week. I have no problem with her deciding to not play a role model on YouTube, if that is what she chooses. I am not comfortable with her use of we and us as she presents her perceived issues with the current state of this major.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 122
Niced 970 Times in 432 Posts

It is important to try to keep growing the number of women in our sport but I feel like we are nearing the point we need to focus more on growing the volunteer and TD base. My fear based on the bevy of social media complaints about the USWDGC is that it overshadows the actual event and the people that have worked so hard for this to come together.

With the Covid DG boom, I think there will continue to be an influx of new players whether there is a conscious effort to "grow the sport" or not. With tournaments filling within minutes, its clear that we need to grow the volunteer and TD base quickly. To do that, we need to prop them up and incentivize these roles, instead of denigrating them when things don't perfectly cater to the elite players' needs.

Niced: (3)
Old 05-21-2021, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 92
Niced 2,168 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
"I am not a role model. I'm not paid to be a role model. I'm paid to throw discs really far on the golf course. Parents should be role models... Just because I throw 500' and win world championships doesn't mean I should raise your kid."
- Paige Pierce, probably

Niced: (2)
Old 05-21-2021, 12:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 3
Niced 264 Times in 134 Posts

I'm really trying to understand the conversation about PP not doing enough for women in instructional videos etc. MPO pros don't make videos titled "now this is just for you guys". Paige does plenty to promote women participating in the sport. The increased media coverage of live FPO events offers lots of opportunity to see the styles and approach of many top FPO players.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 152
Niced 1,255 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
- Paige Pierce, probably
What would be the equivalent nickname for Pierce to "The round mound of rebound"?