Old 02-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 17 Posts

Didn't realize I'd already posted in this thread... from 10 years ago :P

Anyway, I run the random draw doubles on Sundays at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis. Buy in is $7. $5 goes towards payout and $2 goes towards the ace pool. A couple weeks ago we cleared a ~$1500 ace pool. That drew people out of the woodwork for sure.

Nikko occasionally shows up to play. There's a couple other players regularly there who are in the 1000 neighborhood i'd bet. It seems that most of our regular participants there understand that you could draw Nikko or some schlub like me. Pragmatic 'pros' turn it into an opportunity to do just ace runs or use the round as an excuse to try new plastic or shots. There are a couple of *******s who bitch and moan when they don't get paired with someone who will give them a shot at winning, but they're few and far between.

Guess us midwest folk are a little friendlier
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2020, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,148 Times in 1,774 Posts

Getting bent out of shape when throwing plastic circles out in the park? We all like to win, but if your getting your panties in a wad over anything, in leagues.....you are simply doing it WRONG.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:11 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 341
Niced 4,974 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Getting bent out of shape when throwing plastic circles out in the park? We all like to win, but if your getting your panties in a wad over anything, in leagues.....you are simply doing it WRONG.
Pretty much.

*wads his panties up and throws them at ru4por*

Niced: (2)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 547
Niced 1,052 Times in 365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Pretty much.

*wads his panties up and throws them at ru4por*

Foot fault!

Niced: (2)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 10
Niced 24 Times in 12 Posts

I am a 860 rated player and when I am lucky enough to play with the 950+ rated players they have been very cool to me when I miss a putt or have a bad shot.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:42 PM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 202
Niced 25 Times in 8 Posts

Really throw a "curve ball" into things and suggest playing Random Draw Worst Shot Doubles!

Niced: (1)
Old 02-27-2020, 01:14 PM
* Ace No More *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsel View Post
Really throw a "curve ball" into things and suggest playing Random Draw Worst Shot Doubles!
Not something I'd wanna do more than once a year or so, but this can actually be a lot of fun.
...WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE!

This format sucks when people take things too seriously. If you think "competitive guy" is tough to play with in best shot, try playing a round of worst shot with him.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:40 PM

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 202
Niced 25 Times in 8 Posts

A buddy of mine, he's 57, I'm 62, once the summer season is over, we start playing this "worst Shot Double" format with whatever young team wants to join in on the "Fun"! Many of the young guns soon discover that distance isn't quite as important as keeping it on target. Needless to say, ethics are tossed out the door from the first tee and fun is to be had, usually at the other teams expense. The only rule my partner and I agree to is at the end of the round, we will still be friends, often with money in our pocket!
Old 03-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 32
Niced 1,092 Times in 513 Posts

Speaking from experience, one downside of ams playing doubles is that it trains them to go for shots they can rarely execute. There's not as much harm trying risky shots when you have a partner to bail you out when you don't hit it. I ran a doubles league last year, and over the course of the year my own rating actually went down, even though I was putting better than ever. Over this off-season I realized it's because I was trying to throw the same hero tee shots I threw in doubles league.

Old 03-02-2020, 05:11 PM
* Ace No More *

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Speaking from experience, one downside of ams playing doubles is that it trains them to go for shots they can rarely execute. There's not as much harm trying risky shots when you have a partner to bail you out when you don't hit it. I ran a doubles league last year, and over the course of the year my own rating actually went down, even though I was putting better than ever. Over this off-season I realized it's because I was trying to throw the same hero tee shots I threw in doubles league.
I'd argue this is only true for inexperienced/ foolhardy players.

Truth is, dubs should be played more aggressively than a solo round, specifically because one player can take a safe shot that allows the next player to go for it.

If you a player decides to play that aggressively in a solo round that's their own inability to properly assess risk/reward relative to their own ability.

Dubs can be an opportunity for players to take shots they normally shouldn't/wouldn't.