Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Can a "nice" happen after a throw has been completed?
Yes, a "nice" can happen after the fact and this is a prime example 13 24.53%
While "nicing" exists, there's no way it can happen after the fact 8 15.09%
What the h--- are you guys talking about? Do you believe in Santa Claus, too? 32 60.38%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2020, 10:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,749 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Feel free to post those videos of the "nice" effects.

Now, here is the scenario for you to answer the poll with and discuss:

Several friends & I have a FB Messenger group where we chat and mostly discuss disc golf stuff. One of our buddies is playing in a tournament and we get to follow what's happening in PDGA Live scoring. We are all commenting as he slowly takes the lead during that back nine of the second and final round. Our buddy has come back from a three stroke deficit and gets a 2-throw lead with two challenging finishing holes (par4/par3) to play. He had gone 4-6 on the first round. SO he's on #17. We're waiting. commenting. I have to tell the guys that holes 15-16-17 often don't get good cell reception so it's probably delayed. The score finally comes up and he gets the par 4, now only one hole left. So I make this comment on our online FB Messenger group, "Way to go Jimmy (names changed to protect the innocent), now just play it safe & get this tee shot over the water and you'll be home free."

It's at that time that I get accused of "nicing" him. Comments like, "...there you go, jinxing him...," "...if he loses now, it's all your fault...," "...can't believe you niced him when he had a chance to win the tournament," etc. start coming my way. And I said, "...Way-way-wait a second. With the delay in the time we get these scores he had already thrown by the time I made that comment. I don't believe he can be 'niced' after the throw has already occurred. C'mon., guys!"

So that's the story so, what's your thoughts? Was this a nicing? a jinxing? a nothing since it happened after the fact? or do you just not believe in that stuff?
Well. How did your buddy end up finishing???
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,804 Times in 1,071 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I have a question for all you mind readers out there.

You can answer here or via PM.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:43 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 217 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post

Old 11-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 13
Niced 539 Times in 194 Posts

I have zero patience for anyone who doesn't want me to genuinely root for them to do well or congratulate them on good execution, etc.

Old 11-18-2020, 11:05 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 63 Times in 40 Posts

Nice thread. See what I did there?

Old 11-18-2020, 11:36 AM

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 30 Times in 14 Posts

So it's a Schrφdinger's cat problem. Can a "Nice" affect a shot that has already happened, but we don't know the result?

Similarly, suppose there's a blind shot and someone throws what looks like a good shot, but could have rolled down a hill, faded into some water, etc. What if someone says Nice when the shot has definitely landed, but you don't know where?

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 49 Times in 24 Posts

"Yes, a "nice" can happen after the fact and this is a prime example". I think I have a twist on this one:

Yesterday afternoon round in 25 mph winds with some gust over 40 moderate tree course, leaves flying everywhere. I break out my wind busters, and approach a party of 7 on an upslope hole with a ridge that downslopes to the basket. They let me play thru, I smoke it up the middle thru the trees and over the ridge on the green which the disc cant be seen. I get a few "Nice's" and other comments on the throw. I thank them and I'm on my way.
I've played the hole more than 200 times, and I know there's a few trees I could be parked next to that cant be seen from the tee, and I'm likely on the wrong side of the two guardian v-shaped trees protecting the basket for my birdie. Yep, that's what happened for a two putt.
The throw was very nice, but the result parked next to the tree interfering with my putt was not. I'm still grateful for the "Nice's" on the throw. If I don't know the final result "nice throw, hopefully in a good position", something like that.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.7
Courses Played: 264
Niced 361 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:

Blue...
Old 11-19-2020, 07:04 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 321 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:

Yellloowww.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-19-2020, 07:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 204
Niced 1,025 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Feel free to post those videos of the "nice" effects.

Now, here is the scenario for you to answer the poll with and discuss:

Several friends & I have a FB Messenger group where we chat and mostly discuss disc golf stuff. One of our buddies is playing in a tournament and we get to follow what's happening in PDGA Live scoring. We are all commenting as he slowly takes the lead during that back nine of the second and final round. Our buddy has come back from a three stroke deficit and gets a 2-throw lead with two challenging finishing holes (par4/par3) to play. He had gone 4-6 on the first round. SO he's on #17. We're waiting. commenting. I have to tell the guys that holes 15-16-17 often don't get good cell reception so it's probably delayed. The score finally comes up and he gets the par 4, now only one hole left. So I make this comment on our online FB Messenger group, "Way to go Jimmy (names changed to protect the innocent), now just play it safe & get this tee shot over the water and you'll be home free."

It's at that time that I get accused of "nicing" him. Comments like, "...there you go, jinxing him...," "...if he loses now, it's all your fault...," "...can't believe you niced him when he had a chance to win the tournament," etc. start coming my way. And I said, "...Way-way-wait a second. With the delay in the time we get these scores he had already thrown by the time I made that comment. I don't believe he can be 'niced' after the throw has already occurred. C'mon., guys!"

So that's the story so, what's your thoughts? Was this a nicing? a jinxing? a nothing since it happened after the fact? or do you just not believe in that stuff?
The real question is: did Jimmy lose the tournament on the last hole?