Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-20-2020, 09:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 398 Times in 176 Posts

Can someone compare an anvil to the rest of these molds for me? I know the flight is similar, probably faster than the zone and hard, but how deep is it and the rest of the feel?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2020, 11:02 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,677 Times in 1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
Can someone compare an anvil to the rest of these molds for me? I know the flight is similar, probably faster than the zone and hard, but how deep is it and the rest of the feel?
Itís a similar depth to the Zone, but the rim feels less substantial, itís also not quite a high speed stable as the Zone. Similar to Harp in stability but more glide and flips up and rides pretty well. Also much more prone to being domey than all of the ones mentioned in this thread.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,048 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusch_bag View Post
If I had an Anvil, I would. That's one of the few molds I've never run across.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:21 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 520 Times in 287 Posts

I have pretty much all of the beefy putter or mid type approach discs. Just about every one of them has some pros and cons for me. While I really like the Zone and Harp and will typically have one or the other in my bag, I think my favorites are the Justice and the Pig.

The Pig would probably be my number one choice if it werenít for the plastics. The R-pro is nice for its grip but is a very firm plastic and I canít tell you how many times Iíve landed it at the base of the basket or drawn metal only to have it bounce, get on edge, and roll far away from the landing. A gummy, champion color glow Pig would be my go-to if they made it.

The Justice is super predictable no matter the conditions but you really have to account for the ground play you get with it.

The softer Zones and Harps just work best for me because if I place the shot where I want it they usually donít end up very far away from where they hit the ground.

Old 11-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 386 Times in 189 Posts

I would say that the Drone is more comparable to a Gator than a Zone.

Niced: (3)
Old 11-20-2020, 02:26 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,677 Times in 1,049 Posts

Pulled a few discs out to compare.

Orange is a freaky Zone, blue is VIP Anvil, copper is a TP Harp. The curvature and more traditional midrange like feel of the Anvil is really what seems to set it apart from the other two which feel slightly more putter like.

The Zone also had a more wedge like lower wing which I find interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2B5B3012-B281-4225-8425-425F7BCB4FC0.jpg (73.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 92E99426-459B-4ABC-A6B0-67119573A282.jpg (84.4 KB, 18 views)

Old 11-21-2020, 08:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 47
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 167 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
The Pig would probably be my number one choice if it werenít for the plastics. The R-pro is nice for its grip but is a very firm plastic and I canít tell you how many times Iíve landed it at the base of the basket or drawn metal only to have it bounce, get on edge, and roll far away from the landing. A gummy, champion color glow Pig would be my go-to if they made it.

I find this odd because I get the exact opposite results. I have an R Pro Pig / Rhyno and an Evo Wizard (super soft plastic like g *star but gummier) and because of the rubbery composition of the disc they tend to recoil and bounce on landings. You would think that the softer plastic would settle nicely, but some of the recoils and standups I've seen have been crazy and very unpredictable.

I recently was finally able to get a Rick Pro Pig and the stiffer blend of that plastic really helps out. None of the odd quirks of regular R-Pro. Likewise I don't get any issue with JawBreaker or any type of plastic like that. YMMV.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:25 AM

Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

Glad I’m not the only one who’s had weird reactions with the Pig. Really enjoyed the mild and the flight, but of all the approach discs I’ve used, definitely have had the worst reactions overall with the Pig, and I’ve thrown it in Champ, R-Pro, and the first Rickypigs.
I think by this point I’ve tried the majority of OS approach discs out there, but never the Gator. It’s a disc I’ve often considered but I go to a disc shop and feel one and immediately put it back. �� Funny thing is is I’ve settled on the A3 for now as my main approach disc, and it’s kinda like a Gator that a fat man sat on. I really love it though. By the the least HSS I’ve tried in this family of discs, but somehow he LSS is somewhere between an Anvil and a Justice for me. The HSS/LSS combo has made it a really great disc to dial in my distance on, I’m loving it a lot.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,048 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewreck View Post
Glad Iím not the only one whoís had weird reactions with the Pig. Really enjoyed the mild and the flight, but of all the approach discs Iíve used, definitely have had the worst reactions overall with the Pig, and Iíve thrown it in Champ, R-Pro, and the first Rickypigs.
I think by this point Iíve tried the majority of OS approach discs out there, but never the Gator. Itís a disc Iíve often considered but I go to a disc shop and feel one and immediately put it back. �� Funny thing is is Iíve settled on the A3 for now as my main approach disc, and itís kinda like a Gator that a fat man sat on. I really love it though. By the the least HSS Iíve tried in this family of discs, but somehow he LSS is somewhere between an Anvil and a Justice for me. The HSS/LSS combo has made it a really great disc to dial in my distance on, Iím loving it a lot.
The Gator I used for this review was the first one I'd ever thrown. It is flat as a pancake. I've seen other Gators that seemed awkwardly domey. For an overstable mid/approach disc I want a flat top. I'm not looking for glide here.

I didn't mind the hand feel of the Gator. Of the 3 molds I threw I probably liked the hand feel of the Harp the most.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:02 PM

Niced 6 Times in 3 Posts

I think the A3 and Gator have similar molding quirks. Iím not sure Iíve ever felt a flat Gator in my life. I always keep and eye on OTB for a flat one, maybe one day 🤷🏻*♂️