#41  
Old 11-29-2020, 03:53 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Cute. Great thread. Great posting everywhere on this site, thank you so much for your contributions

Why is it so hard to understand learning control and technique first followed by distance? Going from 180' to 300' or so makes sense as an early goal but beyond that you (every beginner) lose me. I know you just checked out TWs 500' thread, did he just instantly hope to throw that far? No, it took him years after learning technique.


People are spending their free time to try to help you, yet you **** all over them. I'm the angry voice of reason trying to tell you to listen to those people. Why is that so difficult for you?

Do you really think you deciphering YouTube videos in your own mind is above people that have dedicated hundreds or thousands of hours to this game? Do you think you can suddenly become Seppo or Simon or Paul through interpretive dance? Come on, man. Even a genuine genius would need guidance with a physical activity (NOT calling you one).
I'm not sure your argument or comments.

We learn both distance and control at the same time. Constantly working at increasing strength, conditioning, teqnique and control all add up to the best direction. Working on distance has been the best way for me to also learn control. They certainly aren't exclusive of each other.

It's wise to have goals and push hard for them. Is that not the principle of success?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:11 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 677
Niced 319 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I'm not sure your argument or comments.

We learn both distance and control at the same time. Constantly working at increasing strength, conditioning, teqnique and control all add up to the best direction. Working on distance has been the best way for me to also learn control. They certainly aren't exclusive of each other.

It's wise to have goals and push hard for them. Is that not the principle of success?
Is one of your goals to reinvent the disc golf form?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:18 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Is one of your goals to reinvent the disc golf form?
No, it is however one of my goals to separate myth from truth in teqnique so that I can progress quicker. Hopefully others can learn from it too.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 677
Niced 319 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
No, it is however one of my goals to separate myth from truth in teqnique so that I can progress quicker. Hopefully others can learn from it too.
What are the myths?
What are the truths?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-29-2020, 04:51 PM
Jangle Chains Jangle Chains is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 12
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
No, it is however one of my goals to separate myth from truth in teqnique so that I can progress quicker. Hopefully others can learn from it too.

You can't handle the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
What are the myths?
What are the truths?
Well, for starters- it's a myth that turning back too soon hurts distance.

Also a myth- it's a myth that turning back more rearward hurts distance.

I see this a lot where someone will post for advice on their form (usually in conjunction with distance) and inevitably someone will say "you are turning back too soon".
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-29-2020, 06:15 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 677
Niced 319 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Well, for starters- it's a myth that turning back too soon hurts distance.

Also a myth- it's a myth that turning back more rearward hurts distance.

I see this a lot where someone will post for advice on their form (usually in conjunction with distance) and inevitably someone will say "you are turning back too soon".
I know a guy who is convinced that very, very long speaker cables build up more power between the amplifier and speakers. He can hear them sound louder. No one can convince him otherwise. No one.

I would ask you if running 10 steps while reaching back the whole time is reaching back too soon for a distance shot. The reason i ask this remedial question is to discover if you are intellectually honest.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-29-2020, 06:24 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
I know a guy who is convinced that very, very long speaker cables build up more power between the amplifier and speakers. He can hear them sound louder. No one can convince him otherwise. No one.

I would ask you if running 10 steps while reaching back the whole time is reaching back too soon for a distance shot. The reason i ask this remedial question is to discover if you are intellectually honest.
Running back 10 steps is ridiculous. That's a pointless question. What we are after, and in question is more in the range of 1/2 to 3 steps.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-29-2020, 06:31 PM
seedlings's Avatar
seedlings seedlings is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Northwest Missouri
Posts: 677
Niced 319 Times in 184 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
Running back 10 steps is ridiculous. That's a pointless question. What we are after, and in question is more in the range of 1/2 to 3 steps.
Ok. So there is a limit of approx 3 full steps while in reachback. Edit: for a distance shot.
Reply With Quote
 

  #50  
Old 11-29-2020, 06:38 PM
RoDeO RoDeO is offline
Captain Oblivous!
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 892
Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Ok. So there is a limit of approx 3 full steps while in reachback. Edit: for a distance shot.
When people speak of the turn timing it's almost always within that last three step range.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reachback timing? Icarus Form Analysis/Critique 18 12-25-2020 02:02 AM
Timing question: step (in stand still throws) timothy42b Technique & Strategy 7 07-12-2016 11:13 PM
Reachback Timing / Introduction RingingChains Form Analysis/Critique 5 02-02-2015 11:34 PM
Timing and X-step Jbb817 Form Analysis/Critique 2 10-04-2013 09:32 PM
Short Drives: Compact X-Step vs Standstill vs 1 Step DiscinFiend Technique & Strategy 7 06-29-2013 07:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.