Old 11-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Cute. Great thread. Great posting everywhere on this site, thank you so much for your contributions

Why is it so hard to understand learning control and technique first followed by distance? Going from 180' to 300' or so makes sense as an early goal but beyond that you (every beginner) lose me. I know you just checked out TWs 500' thread, did he just instantly hope to throw that far? No, it took him years after learning technique.

People are spending their free time to try to help you, yet you **** all over them. I'm the angry voice of reason trying to tell you to listen to those people. Why is that so difficult for you?

Do you really think you deciphering YouTube videos in your own mind is above people that have dedicated hundreds or thousands of hours to this game? Do you think you can suddenly become Seppo or Simon or Paul through interpretive dance? Come on, man. Even a genuine genius would need guidance with a physical activity (NOT calling you one).
I'm not sure your argument or comments.

We learn both distance and control at the same time. Constantly working at increasing strength, conditioning, teqnique and control all add up to the best direction. Working on distance has been the best way for me to also learn control. They certainly aren't exclusive of each other.

It's wise to have goals and push hard for them. Is that not the principle of success?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2020, 04:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 319 Times in 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
I'm not sure your argument or comments.

We learn both distance and control at the same time. Constantly working at increasing strength, conditioning, teqnique and control all add up to the best direction. Working on distance has been the best way for me to also learn control. They certainly aren't exclusive of each other.

It's wise to have goals and push hard for them. Is that not the principle of success?
Is one of your goals to reinvent the disc golf form?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:18 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
Is one of your goals to reinvent the disc golf form?
No, it is however one of my goals to separate myth from truth in teqnique so that I can progress quicker. Hopefully others can learn from it too.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
No, it is however one of my goals to separate myth from truth in teqnique so that I can progress quicker. Hopefully others can learn from it too.
What are the myths?
What are the truths?
Old 11-29-2020, 04:51 PM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:

You can't handle the truth.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:54 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
What are the myths?
What are the truths?
Well, for starters- it's a myth that turning back too soon hurts distance.

Also a myth- it's a myth that turning back more rearward hurts distance.

I see this a lot where someone will post for advice on their form (usually in conjunction with distance) and inevitably someone will say "you are turning back too soon".
Old 11-29-2020, 06:15 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Well, for starters- it's a myth that turning back too soon hurts distance.

Also a myth- it's a myth that turning back more rearward hurts distance.

I see this a lot where someone will post for advice on their form (usually in conjunction with distance) and inevitably someone will say "you are turning back too soon".
I know a guy who is convinced that very, very long speaker cables build up more power between the amplifier and speakers. He can hear them sound louder. No one can convince him otherwise. No one.

I would ask you if running 10 steps while reaching back the whole time is reaching back too soon for a distance shot. The reason i ask this remedial question is to discover if you are intellectually honest.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:24 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
I know a guy who is convinced that very, very long speaker cables build up more power between the amplifier and speakers. He can hear them sound louder. No one can convince him otherwise. No one.

I would ask you if running 10 steps while reaching back the whole time is reaching back too soon for a distance shot. The reason i ask this remedial question is to discover if you are intellectually honest.
Running back 10 steps is ridiculous. That's a pointless question. What we are after, and in question is more in the range of 1/2 to 3 steps.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Running back 10 steps is ridiculous. That's a pointless question. What we are after, and in question is more in the range of 1/2 to 3 steps.
Ok. So there is a limit of approx 3 full steps while in reachback. Edit: for a distance shot.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:38 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Ok. So there is a limit of approx 3 full steps while in reachback. Edit: for a distance shot.
When people speak of the turn timing it's almost always within that last three step range.