Old 11-29-2020, 02:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,933 Times in 2,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
Thanks for all the replies!

The other factor is cost of living. Yes, San Diego would be an excellent option (although there don't seem to be enough quality courses for the population), but the price to live there is too high. Unfortunately housing in the Portland, OR area is also very pricey or that would likely be my first choice.

I'm probably going to go the "snowbird" route for a year or two and visit the South and Southwest for a couple months during the winter. I would like to hear from a few more Georgia/Carolina/Arkansas etc. folks about what they think of local playing conditions in the summer months.
A lot of other factors might be involved....scenery, employment (unless you're retired), rural/urban preference, other hobbies, culture.....

Augusta, GA has a half-dozen really excellent courses, and is a small city so traffic's not so bad, and cost-of-living shouldn't be. Charlotte's a big city with a ridiculous number of good courses. Summers from mid-June to early September are pretty hot; spring and fall are gorgeous, winter just has the rare snowfall, and plenty of mild days.

I'm in central South Carolina with 3 good courses nearby, and hotbeds of August, Charlotte, and Upstate (NW corner of S.C.) surrounding me in 3 directions, 1-2 hours away. With a tournament schedule so crowded that there are multiple events most weekends (if that suits). I don't mind the heat, so it's a perfect place......for me. It might bore or fry you.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-29-2020, 02:58 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,689 Times in 1,054 Posts

The Atlanta area is very solid year round, Charlotte is good too, but gets a touch colder.

I have enjoyed playing in Portland and Eugene in the winter. Seems like a chill scene and a lot of good courses.

Another sleeper area is the area around Biloxi, Ocean Springs is a nice little town and though the golf is not elite it’s pretty good and the weather is pretty cool on the winter.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-29-2020, 04:09 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 487 Times in 301 Posts

Nebraska. 100F in summer, 0F in winter. courses aren't crowded. you learn to get used to it and play all the time anyway.....

Old 11-29-2020, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,812 Times in 1,074 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I have never been able to get use to high humidity. That's our summers too often.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:16 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 341
Niced 4,972 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
The Atlanta area is very solid year round, Charlotte is good too, but gets a touch colder.

I have enjoyed playing in Portland and Eugene in the winter. Seems like a chill scene and a lot of good courses.
From my experience, I'd have to agree with the Atlanta and Charlotte recommendations. Lots of good courses, the cold days are relatively few, and typically not bitter like they can be in the midwest.

I don't know enough about Oregon to comment on Portland or Eugene, but I'd be intrigued.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 1405
Niced 1,141 Times in 370 Posts

My answer is "In a van" You can have a new "home course" multiple times a day and never repeat the same course - although that would be silly, as years wear on you would develop your favorite stops as you traveled familiar areas repeatedly. It is possible to regulate the environment by allowing you to quickly avoid certain factors and move towards more favorable ones. And your neighbors, many quickly become your best friends, and if there's annoying neighbors, they only last a few nights at the most. Your favorite tournaments are always in your back yard. And more!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,933 Times in 2,283 Posts

That's it. Hit the road and follow the good weather!

Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 570 Times in 314 Posts

I live in Round Rock, Texas, and there are 5 Houck designed, awesome courses within 15 minutes from my house. Quality of courses doesn’t get much better than central Texas, though I’d guess Atlanta, Charlotte and Portland give us a run for our money.

That said, I think my vote for best year round golf weather would be the Phoenix area. You get some of the best weather in the world from October - March in Phoenix. When summer rolls around, you can drive a couple hours up to flagstaff or show low for some nice, cool mountain golf at 7,000 feet. Northern Arizona has some incredible courses

Old 11-30-2020, 08:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 204
Niced 1,025 Times in 641 Posts

In general, if there are courses nearby I will find a way to enjoy the disc golf and adapt to weather as necessary.

I've lived three places since becoming the proud owner of a disc golf obsession.

South Florida (Miami area) was decent and has the benefit of playable weather year round. The course selection wasn't as good as other parts of Florida, and I can eventually tire of flat courses, water shots, and lack of seasons. Oklahoma is nice and has some decent courses and road trip options (Tulsa, Pawhuska, and Dallas). It's playable almost all year.

But my favorite place so far has been Northern West Virginia & Pittsburgh. The weather is a little milder than I would have thought before moving here. Spring, Summer, and Fall are very beautiful, and Winter is mild enough that you're almost never playing in snow. I don't particularly enjoy playing in the Winter, but it's very easy to get out and satisfy disc golf cravings. In addition, there are all kinds of great disc golf places within striking distance if you're up for a road trip (Cincinnati and Charlotte aren't that far, for example). And fall in this part of the country is as good as it gets. Add to that the elevation factor, and it's hard to beat the variety and quality of courses around here.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-30-2020, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,812 Times in 1,074 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Hit the road, live in a van until you get tired of your own smell and having to find where to go to the bathroom every morning...etc.

Sounds great, "living in a van" until you do.